Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,581 to 1,600 of 10,056

Th3solution

@Octane Wow, Interesting. I didn’t realize you can’t see your own downvotes. Yikes. Well I suppose ignorance is bliss.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Fight_Teza_Fight Well, it's not really any different to seeing a reply saying ''You're wrong'' with a ton of likes. This is just more... direct I presume. As long as it doesn't change the order the comments are displayed in it should be fine. If downvoted comments get pushed to the bottom of the page, you can definitely end up with a hivemind situation where everything that doesn't follow the status quo isn't being heard.

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane

Well, it's not really any different to seeing a reply saying ''You're wrong'' with a ton of likes.

But you just said it was, because you can't see downvotes on your own comment!

Kidfried

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Octane Maybe... . I reckon people will think twice before posting as @Th3solution has suggested.
Who knows. Next up ‘Rep. points’?

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@Kidfried That's true. It's only for other people to see; so I have really no idea what the idea behind it is!

Octane

Ralizah

A post of mine on the most recent Sony censorship article just... disappeared. Very weird.

@Th3solution I don't know whose brilliant idea it was to add a downvoting function to the article comments, but it's not going to go over well. Like on NL, this forum has a bit of a fanboy problem in the comments sections, and this function is just going to encourage people to jump on posts that disagree with the mob.

We already have a "like" function, so unless the intention is to root out and eliminate unpopular opinions and posts, I don't see the point in this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

Ralizah wrote:

A post of mine on the most recent Sony censorship article just... disappeared. Very weird.

Probably Sony's doing!

@Octane Me neither. I'm not too fussed about it either way! We'll... see.

Kidfried

Jaz007

@Th3solution It got added yesterday I think (saw a comment from Ant about it) and I’m inclined to agree. I don’t see what good comes of it, and just seems like it puts us towards IGN or gamefaqs that we never want or be. A downvote comment is never something that’s made this community better.

Jaz007

Kidfried

So far I've seen Kyle get downvoted for some jokes he made about Spyro. That's pretty much the level of downvotes I expected.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

Having just survived a couple really shakey days, seeing the downvote / thumbs down icon on comments is a bit of a kicker. I'm somewhat glad it wasn't implemented before I got into a massive debate about Sony censorship with some folks (not least because if too many downvotes means a mod has to read and check the potentially-offending post, my preachy essays would've made somebody's weekend incredibly boring) but it's kinda making me want to steer clear of comment sections in future, and just write things on the forum, which is less public-facing and therefore less open to controversy.

Guess we'll wait and see how things pan out, and I'll trust Push Square for now because they've never given me a reason to doubt my participation in this community before.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Don't worry, too many downvotes don't mean anything to us mods yet (at least, over at NL). We don't get notified when a comment gets too many downvotes. It's nothing to worry about.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Cheers; I wasn't particularly worried for myself or anything I might say, but more for the mods!

Also had no idea you were a mod. That's my "thing I learned" for today.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Well, not over here, but on NintendoLife! But same site, same system, same everything basically

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Still, you have my respect. I can imagine it's quite a tough assignment at times.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Don't worry. Just give me a holler if you ever have trouble with haters and I'll... I'll... I'll downvote them back!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried D'aww, thanks!

Now, to use this new back-up for good, or for eeeeevil...

Making It So Since 1987

DerMeister

Downvoting comments isn't really something I approve of either. I like this community because almost everyone can have a civil conversation even if their opinions are conflicting. I've only put one user on ignore in my 4 years on this site, and that's the only time I've seen issue here. I don't really think that will change because of downvoting, but I view it as a way of covering your ears and going "LALALALAICANTHERYOULALALA" instead doing any actual discussion. I guess my ego's protected because I can't see any downvotes for myself (Probably for the best since I tend to be a contrarian), but I'd rather hash out any difference of opinion than just go "Nope! Dislike!".

Or maybe I'm making ado about nothing. I can never tell.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Kidfried

@DerMeister If I ever downvote you, I'll be sure to let you know. I won't spare anyone's ego!

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

Ah so that is how it works. Downvoting. Not sure I like it because almost 73% of my content is sarcasm and bad jokes. This is going to hit my ego hard (that's not even a joke). Can you see if you have personally been down voted?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic