Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 10,090

RogerRoger

@Knuckles-Fajita Make the most of the rest and don't feel guilty for doing so; "doing nothing" is a perfectly acceptable passtime in such circumstances.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger That is hilariously against my nature. I guess I'll finish live streaming Arkham Asylum tonight, and maybe stream more SPyro.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RogerRoger

@Knuckles-Fajita You're live-streaming Arkham Asylum? Cool; how far along are you?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger Just ended it. Next game to take that (Currently random) timeslot is Star Fox. Also streaming Spyro 1 and Crash 3 All Platinums.

And yet Im still bored.

JJ2

So when do you guys think the nextgen is coming?
A few months ago I would have bet on 2020 but now there are more and more flags pointing at next year. We all heard about AMD working on Navi for ps5 and those are supposedly landing next year. Xbox scarlet leaked, definitely at least the cloud version introduced next year. AMD even already said they are with both companies which have their secret sauce each. Sony making changes on psn. No news on psx. Next E3 seems a big ?
I prefer 2020 but there are so many little signs. What you think?

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Haruki_NLI

6 years is about right. Ah well.

DerMeister

Finally got to cook something again after months since my last lesson. I got to make a Beef Wellington. I'm surprised it turned out really well. The big thing for me is that I don't like mushrooms, but the taste is subtle enough it doesn't bug me.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Kidfried

@DerMeister Cook something again? I have honestly no idea about your age or situation, so excuse me for this question, but don't you cook every day? Just interested!

@andreoni79 Love the Ennio Morricone music. I think it was... five years ago or something, when I saw him with an orchestra live. Some of my favorites are A Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon A Time In The West/America, Novecento and The Mission. So, uh, buon compleanno!

Kidfried

DerMeister

@Kidfried I don't actually. Dinner is usually cooked by my other housemates. I started taking cooking lessons this year and I think this was my fifth one.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

Kidfried

@DerMeister I see. I haven't had any housemates for quite some time now. I had to learn cooking the hard way, which meant a lot of burned food and unappetizing combinations. So, taking lessions is probably easier.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@DerMeister Big respect for taking lessons. Despite living alone for five / six days a week, I think cooking is pure evil and do everything in my power to avoid (or at least cut down significantly) food preparation time. My partner drags me into his kitchen once a week to help with Sunday dinner and... well, it's a measure of how much I love him, put it that way.

Congratulations on the Beef Wellington success, and best of luck as you continue your class!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@DerMeister Are you enjoying your lessons? @RogerRoger I can cook but get a quite frazzled and stressed doing it. I learnt at school and observing my Ma - my Grandad was a chef and my Nana Italian so my Mum can cook well. My favourite dishes to prepare and eat are pasta based.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Pasta is probably my favourite foodstuff. You're lucky to have such a talented heritage! Likewise, my grandfather on my Dad's side was a butcher and both my parents, and my brother, get really into cooking but I'm sorry to say none of it ever really rubbed off on me. Sometimes (some very fleeting, brief times) I wish it had. I don't blame you for getting frazzled in the kitchen! Have you ever cooked for your Mum? I only ask because I reckon the pressure under such circumstances would have me running for the hills (or the nearest Greggs).

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@mookysam Do you make the pasta yourself as well? What's your favorite pasta dish? Mine is alla puttanesca, maybe because it's the only one I'm really comfortable at making. If I remember correct, you're a vegan as well, right?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@beemo I'm guessing those (in)famous "British pubs" dotted around various American cities don't even come close to an authentic approximation of our nightmarishly-bad-for-you-yet-totally-irresistable culinary delights.

I'd mail you a chicken bake if I thought it had half a chance of getting through Customs.

Making It So Since 1987

DerMeister

@Kidfried @RogerRoger @mookysam Thanks for the kind words, though I feel I should note that it's not a professional class, just lessons from a family friend. Either way, I'm enjoying being able to learn another skill and I'm glad the food turns out well. Haven't made a bad thing yet!

Octane

I didn't know how to cook until I started university and lived together with a few friends of mine. It started out simple, with the intention of impressing each other by cooking more impressive dishes every single day, and by the end it sorta got out of hand; from fancy diner-like experiences to failed food experiments. That's a while ago though, but I continued on my own, and I still prepare everything myself, every day. It takes effort and willpower to get the hang of it, but if you enjoy food, it'll pay off in the end.

Octane

mookysam

@RogerRoger I have cooked lots of different things for my Mum and my family in the past. Me and my sister also used to make risotto whenever we had it. The only time something went really wrong was when I had an accident with the black pepper when making sausage casserole. 😂 My Mum used to like the desserts I made, particularly custards Nowadays I sometimes cook with my her when I stay and we've come up some nice things. We're both vegan now, so making up new versions of our favourites that also taste just as nice is a process. I perfected bolognese, which was something I was really proud of.

@Kidfried Puttasnesca is my favourite too (although I use the English translation, it's cheeky). I am vegan, so just leave out anchovies. It's so yummy. I don't make my own pasta as it is time consuming and I don't have the tools to do it. I have made gnocchi before though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

Yeah, British style dining is something that is very underrepresented in the U.S. I don’t see much really offered. We have loads of Italian, Mexican, some German, French, and every iteration of Asian (Thai, Chinese, Korean, Japanese...) restaurants, but I don’t recall an British one. Maybe the large metropolitan cities have them.
I must admit, my stomach churns a little at the thought of eating kidneys. And don’t you all eat blood pudding or blood sausage? That also has rather barbaric ring to it. Kinda scared, but I’d be up to try anything ....once.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic