Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,151

FullbringIchigo

"I like Star Wars. It was young King Arthur growing up, slaying the evil emperor finally. There's nothing wrong with that kind of entertainment - everything doesn't have to create a philosophy for you - for your whole life. You can also have fun." - Gene Roddenberry

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 hey you never know they seemed to learn some lessons after season 1 (and getting rid of those two idiots in charge helped too) and season 2 was 10 times better so if they carry on improving you might actually like season 3

"I like Star Wars. It was young King Arthur growing up, slaying the evil emperor finally. There's nothing wrong with that kind of entertainment - everything doesn't have to create a philosophy for you - for your whole life. You can also have fun." - Gene Roddenberry

LN78

@FullbringIchigo I really do think launching the ship and crew a thousand years into the future was a good idea. Why didn't they use that as the premise of the show from the outset? That they opted to make another prequel after the relative failure of "Enterprise" still blows my tiny mind.

LN78

PSN: Lanooch

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 because they needed to cash in on not only the original series nostalgia but the "relative" success of the reboot movies

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i think it showed a complete lack of faith in their own product on CBS's part

still now CBS and Viacom are one again who knows what that means for future seasons

as for season 3 i still think it's going to be a "Andromeda" rip off, the Federation is gone and the galaxy is at war and one ship and crew, the Discovery will try to rebuild the Federation

(on a side note Andromeda was a good show, if you never watched it you should check it out)

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo All I have to say is, please don't ever change your Tuvok avatar.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well i might in the future but for now i have no inclination to, it's going to be here for a while

KALofKRYPTON

Discovery Season 3 = another one of Bryan Fuller's rejected anthology ideas

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON they really should have just gone with the anthology idea shouldn't they

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Yes. Yes they should.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON although i can understand why they didn't, the cost would have been immense

still if they still wanted to do an anthology series then it should be an animated one, it's cheaper, quicker and easier to produce, plus it has the added benefit of being able to look just like the old shows when it needs too and characters can also kind of look like the original actors

FullbringIchigo

you know Star Trek Online has certainly put more detail into their character models over the years but you have to think just how much further can they push such an old game engine?

Untitled

i think it's getting to the point where they seriously need to think about releasing a new version of the game or completely redoing the current version

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo It got a graphical overhaul when it launched on consoles. I think it does the job; pushing it any further would require major work, which I doubt they'd wanna invest.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON @LN78 so the official Star Trek website just shared a few pages from the upcoming Star Trek Discovery: Aftermath comic, (it takes place after the end of season 2) and Kor is in it, that classic Klingon from TOS and DS9 and holy hell he DOESN'T have any head ridges, he LOOKS like a slightly younger Kor

Untitled

i'm sorry the picture is so small but it's the best i could get

you can see the rest of them here

StarTrek.com Discovery Aftermath

but it's nice they actually tried to do something canon for a change

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...and yet he had full ridges in Deep Space Nine.

In all seriousness, good on them. This is akin to lighting the blue touchpaper with a certain subset of vocal fans, so here's hoping the comic does a solid job.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger augment virus remember, by the time DS9 came round he was cured so he had ridges, only Klingons who had the virus didn't have ridges and once they were cured they grew back

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, for sure. It's just that, well, given how reviled Enterprise is and all...

It's quite frightening to see how some reactionary commentators on certain fan sites will re-write their opinions in the space of a few minutes. "Affliction" (ENT) and "Divergence" (ENT) have come up in a lot of discussions around the Klingons in Discovery, yet they're often uniformly dismissed as "bad fan fiction" episodes by the same people who are lamenting the latest look of the Klingons, calling it an insult to canon. It's like... wait, canon gave you a perfectly good explanation, but it's not the one you wanted, so you're just gonna burn everything down?!

Apparently I'm quite rage-y today. Sorry about that. Augment Virus for the win!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic