Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger that's what i was thinking too

on another note they are also bringing a new ship to the game the U.S.S. Somerville
Untitled

it's certainly different

StarTrek.com: STO's 'Awakening' to Feature Anthony Rapp

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

on other news they are releasing a behind the scenes book for Star Trek: Picard but it's out in November and the series isn't out until next year so it will most likely contain spoilers

and speaking of books remember when Discovery first started and CBS said it was going to be a multi-media series with canon books and comics well that's now out the window because season 2 completely disregards the first book Desperate Hours because in the book Pike was a total ass and Burnham and Spock worked together where as in season 2 Pike was an understanding and compassionate leader and Spock and Burnham hadn't seen each other since they were children

CBS need to make up their minds

also i was playing STO and it finally got to a point where my Discovery character had to change ship, i have had a Walker Class since the start but when i got to the Delta Quadrant and came up against the first Vaadwaur ship it just kicked my ass, it literally got to the point where it was killing me as soon as i spawned so i FINALLY changed to my Sovereign Class

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

Star Trek Picard to get tie in novels and comics

Untitled

Jean-Luc Picard will return not only to the silver screen in the very near future, but also to the written page. CBS Consumer Products, in association with Simon & Schuster’s Gallery Books and IDW, today announced a pair of prequels created to shed light on the events leading into the new CBS series, Star Trek: Picard.

Starting in November, IDW will release Star Trek: Picard – Countdown, a deluxe 3-issue miniseries written by Mike Johnson and series Supervising Producer Kirsten Beyer. This countdown event centers around a mission that would go on to change the life of beloved Star Trek captain Jean-Luc Picard - widely considered to be one of the most popular and recognizable characters in all of science fiction.

Following Countdown's conclusion, Simon & Schuster Gallery Books will release The Last Best Hope in February 2020. Written by Una McCormack, the novel will also lead directly into the show and continue to introduce fans to brand new characters featured in the series. McCormack is the author of eight previous Star Trek novels, including The Lotus Flower (part of The Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Hollow Men and the New York Times bestsellers The Fall: The Crimson Shadow, Enigma Tales, and The Way to the Stars.

“From the moment we announced this series, we’ve seen a groundswell of support from our fan base who are thrilled to have Jean-Luc Picard back on their screens,”

said Veronica Hart, EVP Global Franchise Management.

“Having this brand new original backstory play out through both comic book and novel formats will set the stage for the new series in an exciting way while also showcasing the work of our talented partners at Simon & Schuster and IDW.”

Star Trek: Picard will stream exclusively on CBS All Access in the United States, on Amazon Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space and OTT service Crave. Star Trek: Discovery streams exclusively on CBS All Access in the United States and is distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space Channel and OTT service Crave

https://intl.startrek.com/news/new-star-trek-books-simon-schu...

FullbringIchigo

so it looks like Section 31 is still a long way off if it gets made at all

Shazad Latif On Section 31 Star Trek Show: “We’ll Know More In A Year”
Untitled

One of the Star Trek shows in development we haven’t been hearing much about is the previously announced spin-off of Star Trek: Discovery focusing on the clandestine group Section 31. Michelle Yeoh has been tapped to lead the series, playing the Mirror Georgiou was recruited into Section 31 and acted as an agent throughout season two of Discovery. Presumably, the cast would also include Shazad Latif’s Ash Tyler who was last seen in the Discovery season two finale being put in charge of Section 31 back in the 23rd century.

The Section 31 show was not part of the big CBS push at the San Diego Comic-Con Star Trek Universe panel. Now, Shazad Latif provides more clarity as to why

Section 31 in 2021?

Shazad Latif (Ash Tyler/Voq) spoke with our friends the Trekkie Girls at London Film and Comic Con last weekend. While he did not reveal a whole lot, he gave us some idea on a timeline for the would-be Section 31 show:

The head of the CBS said it was about 2 years down the line, so we’re maybe a year and a half away but it all depends on the people. Michelle [Yeoh] is very busy, it depends on her being free, me being free. It depends if I fit into the timeline. There’s loads of things that we don’t know and they have to write it. We’ll know more in a year.

This generally fits with the information CBS executives and producers have shared about the potential production timeline for the Section 31 show, which has yet to have an official series order announced. Earlier this month we reported executive producer Heather Kadin confirming how Michelle Yeoh will be part of the third season of Star Trek: Discovery (currently in production), adding “The [Section 31] spin-off wouldn’t happen until after that.”

At San Diego Comic-Con, the Star Trek Universe panel focused on the shows currently in production: Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Discovery (Season 3), Star Trek: Short Treks (season 2), and Star Trek: Lower Decks. It looks like Section 31 – if it moves forward – would follow those projects.
Untitled

Don’t expect Ash Tyler in Short Treks

At SDCC it was revealed that there would be three Star Trek: Short Treks set in the 23rd century focused on Captain Pike’s USS Enterprise. When asked by The Trekkie Girls if we can look forward to seeing him in Short Treks, Latif demured, but generally indicated he would not be:

I don’t know, I haven’t heard anything. I think I did so much it would be a bit cheeky to get more, I’ve been on screen so much that it would be a bit rude of me!

*Original Article: TrekMovie.com: Section 31 not arriving anytime soon

FullbringIchigo

I love cut away cross sections
Untitled
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger *'Discovery' Season Two Blu-ray Out in November

Star Trek: Discovery: Season Two will arrive on Blu-ray and DVD on November 12 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment. The four-disc set will include all 14 episodes, the Star Trek: Short Treks installments "The Brightest Star" and "Runaway," and more than two hours of exclusive special features, among them featurettes, audio commentaries on four episodes, cast interviews, deleted scenes, and a gag reel.

Untitled

The special features include:

ENTER THE ENTERPRISE: Discovery's production designer, builders, actors, and producers discuss the daunting task of reviving the iconic ship's bridge.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER: Follow the real-life Discovery crew through preparation, shooting, and posting the second-season finale.

THE RED ANGEL: Go behind the scenes with Discovery's producers and directors, as well as Sonequa Martin-Green and the craftspeople who created the Red Angel and made it come to life.

DESIGNING DISCOVERY: SEASON TWO: On a show where no location exists in our world, the production and lighting design teams must create every space. Learn how they pulled it off.

PROP ME UP: SEASON TWO: Propmaster Mario Moreira takes fans through the world of Discovery props.

DRESS FOR SUCCESS: SEASON TWO: Gersha Phillips and her team discuss how costumes inform a character and how they create a spectacular array of clothing, uniforms, and armor for every kind of species.

CREATURE COMFORTS: SEASON TWO: Producers, craftsmen, and actors discuss the design process, the implementation, and the performance required to bring characters to life. Be sure to watch the one-on-one conversation between makeup artist James McKinnon and L'Rell actress Mary Chieffo.

CREATING SPACE: There are some shots that just can't be done practically when a show is set in space. The VFX team, headed by Jason Zimmerman, pushes the envelope every week to create amazing computer graphics in order to give fans a realistic feel of space.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: THE VOYAGE OF SEASON TWO: A look at the adventures and plot twists encountered in season two by the Discovery crew.

CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment also announced the international release dates for the collections. They will arrive on November 18 in the United Kingdom, November 19 in Italy, November 21 in Germany, November 22 in Spain, November 25 in the Nordics, November 27 in Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg, November 28 in Denmark, and December 4 in France. Release dates for Japan and Australia will be announced in the near future

FullbringIchigo

oh and the STO road map is up, the new episode comes out October on console
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's cryptic... "ships you've been waiting for" but I can't think of a single ship I'm actually waiting for. I've pretty much got everything I've ever wanted.

Well, except a Borg Tactical Cube. I wonder if we're finally getting a Borg storyline?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i doubt it, CBS will want to push THEIR Star Trek (and yes i separate the CBS shows from the Paramount shows) so i wouldn't count on any classic stuff showing up for a while yet

or if they did they would be the CBS version of them

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Since the Borg are gonna be in Picard, though...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeas BUT even those have some differences fo example if you look at the damaged cube it has protruding sections the old ships didn't

old Cube
Untitled

Picard Cube
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh. I didn't know it was a damaged cube. I just thought it was a new type of cube being constructed, or loads of smaller cubes being merged.

It's close enough, though. Looks more Borg than I'd ever expected from these new shows.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i think they took some notice of the backlash Discovery got for it's look

plus the fact that third party licencors told them to change it because they didn't believe that fans would want to buy the original designs

that is also the reason Discovery doesn't have much merch either

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger some good news for us Trekkers

CBS And Viacom Announce Merger, Reunifying Star Trek Franchise
Untitled

Years in the making, CBS and Viacom today announced that they’ve successfully negotiated a deal to combine via an all-stock merger, creating a company with more than $28 billion in revenue. The deal brings the two media companies back together after their split in January 2006. The merger also reunites the two sides to the Star Trek franchise: CBS who own the brand and television rights and library, and Viacom’s Paramount Pictures, who have held the Trek movie rights and film library.

Say hello to ViacomCBS where “content is king”

The new entity, called ViacomCBS, Inc., is being touted in the announcement as a “leading global, multiplatform, premium content company, with the assets, capabilities and scale to be one of the most important content producers and providers in the world.” ViacomCBS will include the largest television business in the U.S., with the highest share of broadcast and cable viewing “across all key audience demographics.” According to ViacomCBS the merger will “accelerate CBS and Viacom’s ability to deliver an array of compelling content to important and diverse audiences across both traditional and emerging platforms around the world.”

Untitled

The newly merged ViacomCBS will have Viacom CEO Robert Bakish at the top as President and CEO. Former acting CBS Corp. CEO Joseph Ianniello will become Chairman and CEO of CBS, where he will oversee all CBS-branded assets in the new company.

The merger was initiated originally by Shari Redstone, Vice Chair of the Boards of Directors, CBS and Viacom. In a statement, Redstone says: “I am really excited to see these two great companies come together so that they can realize the incredible power of their combined assets. My father once said ‘content is king,’ and never has that been more true than today. Through CBS and Viacom’s shared passion for premium content and innovation, we will establish a world-class, multiplatform media organization that is well-positioned for growth in a rapidly transforming industry. Led by a talented leadership team that is excited by the future, ViacomCBS’s success will be underpinned by a commitment to strong values and a culture that empowers our exceptional people at all levels of the organization.”

Star Trek cited as part of the strategic rationale

Premium content at scale. The combined company will possess a portfolio of powerful consumer brands, including CBS, Showtime, Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central and Paramount Network, as well as one of the largest libraries of iconic intellectual property, spanning every key genre and addressing consumers of all ages and demographics. This library comprises 140,000+ TV episodes and 3,600+ film titles, and reunites fan-favorite franchises such as Star Trek and Mission: Impossible. The combined company will also have more than 750 series currently ordered to or in production. In addition, it will include a major Hollywood film studio, Paramount Pictures, which creates and distributes feature-length entertainment around the world. The combined company will also be one of the largest content spenders, with more than $13 billion spent in the last 12 months.

In the short term, any deal may mean little with regard to Star Trek. CBS is still actively developing and producing a number of Star Trek TV shows. Paramount likewise has two scripts in the wings, with the Tarantino project seemingly getting some traction. Once the merger goes through the approval process, and the corporate structures are merged, there could be important changes to the franchise in the medium-to-long term for Star Trek.

CBS—who is the purchasing entity for the merger—is clearly taking Star Trek seriously with their continued expansion of the television franchise. The company has announced a number of additional Star Trek series for CBS All Access, and an animated series for kids on Nickelodeon—which is, of course, part of Viacom. All of this activity has been put under one unit already with the recent CBS announcement of the Star Trek Global Franchise Group, headed up by Alex Kurtzman. Exact details of how Star Trek will be handled going forward are not expected today. However, the re-merger will likely involve Kurtzman’s group taking over the development of Star Trek feature films.

The merger could also involve changes for CBS All Access, which is currently the primary home of Star Trek on TV in the USA. The merger statement from ViacomCBS promises a three-part plan for growth, with the first part to “accelerate direct-to-consumer strategy.”

The merger will be subject to the usual regulatory approvals, but ViacomCBS expect the deal to close by the end of 2019

Original Article: CBS and Viacom Merger Announced

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Will the damage be cemented by the time this is done though?

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON one of the good things about Trek is there will always be a way to retcon issues, just look at Enterprise and the Klingons

so no i don't think the damage is permanent

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON one of the good things about Trek is there will always be a way to retcon issues, just look at Enterprise and the Klingons

so no i don't think the damage is permanent

FullbringIchigo

here is a question, now CBS and Viacom are merging and the Star Trek franchise is all under one roof again then what does this mean for the Kelvin Timeline? we know the destruction of Romulus happens as it's a major point in Picard so they can't just sweep it under the rug?
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Depends on how the even messier licensing situation resolves I suppose.

Kelvin is technically profitable (and canon) - so I'm not sure if they'll completely abandon it.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 that was never really a real thing though, he's just pushing hard trying to get one made but it was never greenlit

there was a movie that was greenlit though it was going to be directed by S.J. Clarkson but it was cancelled after talks with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth fell through

@KALofKRYPTON well i imagine that now they don't have to split the licence they can use anything from previous shows and films so i think what they will do is merge both the original licence and the alternate licence into a brand new one

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic