Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 701 to 720 of 2,292

RogerRoger

So earlier today, I finally finished the first season of Babylon 5. Over dinner, in my new lounge chair, I just watched the first couple episodes of Season Two.

The comparison to Deep Space Nine is quite stark. Both shows started the same year, but B5 goes heavy towards serialised storytelling almost immediately (given that it was one of the first shows to do so, outside of a soap opera, it does so tentatively; it doesn't seem too sure of itself, but it lays a heck of a lot of groundwork) whereas DS9's first couple seasons were more traditional. Oh sure, there were hints and broad strokes involving the Cardassians, the Bajoran government, etc. but most episodes were self-contained, with only their themes or small elements brought back later in "could easily have never seen them again" ways. Meanwhile, not only does B5 actively leave unanswered questions all over the place, it seems to take delight in doing so.

That's equal parts fascinating and vexing. To be watching something knowing that you won't get a payoff for ages and ages, if at all (as many answers just lead to more questions) can spike my mood either way; it depends on the storyline, I guess. The biggest disappointment is that Commander Sinclair didn't last beyond the first season. They spent so much time setting up his character arc, only to know they'd be abandoning it (because the actor, Michael O'Hare, knew he wouldn't be returning halfway through filming the season). Episodes like "1x20: Babylon Squared" fall like a dead weight because it's begging for an explanation / sequel which, following his departure, will either be rushed or not addressed at all. The perils of watching things late, I suppose.

But I do love the characters, and I really like Sinclair's replacement, Captain Sheridan (a refreshingly self-aware Bruce Boxleitner), so I'm definitely a fan now and along for the whole ride. It certainly won't dethrone Star Trek as my favourite science fiction show, but it certainly has the potential to be my preference over Deep Space Nine itself.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Glad you're enjoying it. Testament to JMS having the series planned - if not mostly completely written long before starting.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Indeed. I've just watched the third episode of Season Two and you can tell that, along with an increased budget, the network has realised that serialisation isn't a dirty word. It's all hanging together far more coherently now. It's like they've finally let him be free.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Grain of salt, obviously... But interesting!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger great, glad your enjoying it but sadly i still haven't been able to get round to getting it yet, too many other things to pay for

bloody life, it's so expensive

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah but to be honest i have seen a few of his videos and he just seems to be a hater on Discovery and he always looks on the bad side of things

yeah Discovery isn't a great Star Trek show but it's watchable plus the things he said about Picard is just rumour and i'll be making my own judgments on that one plus if it was true then it's just a test audience and lets be honest most of them are always wrong

plus he said "Female lead show" sounds like he has a problem with a women as a lead (although to be honest SMG isn't great, Michelle Yeoh would have been a better lead)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
I don't think he has a problem with a woman lead. I think he has a problem with the way the show was marketed as a 'first' for this and a 'first' for that.
So do I to be honest. Its mostly a set up for sycophantic back-patting while they stole core elements of the show from something else.

Like I said, grain of salt and all that.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah but honestly the people doing Star Trek right now have NO idea about what good Trek is so maybe a shake up is needed, get rid of everyone and bring in new blood

Picard might be able to survive though due to the fact it's Picard and Patrick Stewart is also involved so i don't think he would let them completely destroy the character (at least i hope he wont)

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I guess it'll come down to how true the new producers/showrunners thing is.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah i guess

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON this one goes into more detail and is a bit less "ranty"

RogerRoger

FullbringIchigo wrote:

@RogerRoger great, glad your enjoying it but sadly i still haven't been able to get round to getting it yet, too many other things to pay for

bloody life, it's so expensive

Damn right it is. No worries, though; the box set will only get cheaper, and is frequently spotted in my local HMV on the sale shelf for around £40 or less. I'm sure you'll find it someday.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger Kurtzman did an interview about Treks future
Alex Kurtzman Interview at TrekCore.com

and this was published just after those rumours started, anyone else thinking damage control

but anyway the interview has some info about Picard, Discovery Season 3 and the animated shows in it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Real damage control.

Also, while I did skim that article, it still comes across as Kurtzman painting himself as a Trek saviour.

And I can say in no uncertain terms, Star Trek didn't get me when I was 9 or 12! I actually just can't remember a time when Star Trek wasn't there.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON same here, i was BORN during an episode of Star Trek, it's been with me my entire life

FullbringIchigo

wow her REALLY has no idea does he, it's Star TREK not Star WARS Alex, GETA CLUE
https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/06/19/star-trek-alex-kurt...

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo He's full of it!

Star Trek was just as much of my early childhood as Star Wars, Doctor Who, every Glen A. Larson show that I could possibly consume of a Saturday afternoon and plenty more.

He's fully mistaken in the notion that you need to aim down at children - quite the opposite; smaller children will appreciate the glitz and effects and colours, the aliens and the ships and the wonder - then as they (and we) mature appreciate the themes and deeper messages.

I'd always cite something like the original Ghostbusters as a perfect illustration of that. It was always there, it was exciting and a bit scary and funny when I watched as a kid, then as I grew up and watched it again and again, I always picked up on something else. I was probably well in to my teens before I fully appreciated everything about that film.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i can't believe CBS put this tool in charge of Trek for the next 5 years, he will destroy it by the time he is done

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo If the other recent reports are true, he's showrunner in name only. We can hope.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON fingers crossed

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic