Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 681 to 700 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
There was a wine expert pulling apart the vineyard scene from the teaser - quite funny!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well i guess they have to try and prove they are worth something, they are wine experts after all and that's about as important as being a fart expert

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Congratulations, you've won today's internet.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

OK i had to laugh at this

Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you can find quite a few funny Trek memes on the internet
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

a few more things from my Star Trek collection

a magazine, a pin and a couple of posters
Untitled

and a limited edition commemorative coin
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ooh, that coin is lovely! Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo So today, after two years of having the box on my shelf, I finally got around to starting Babylon 5. Obviously still early days; I've only watched the pilot film and the first three episodes of Season One, but I'm really enjoying it thusfar. I'm a little confused as to the order I've got to watch everything in, but I found a spoiler-free guide which I'll follow when the various movies start to kick in.

Whilst I can obviously see the parallels with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (somebody's already been called Dukat, and ships emerge from a big blue hole off the station's starboard side, etc.) the greater parallels which are slapping me in the face every thirty seconds are with Mass Effect. The station itself looks like the Citadel, especially the inside, and there's a Council representing each alien civilisation, one of which is polite and unassuming but that humanity recently fought a war with. The lead hero has a mysterious blackout in his memory which makes some aliens nervous, and is being used to hint towards some galactic importance. Some humans are telepaths and are forced to register or be arrested (this one also shares a direct parallel with BioWare's other major work, Dragon Age, and the treatment of mages). Seriously, at every turn, it's basically like watching somebody's playthrough, only with fuzzy 90s CGI. Even the music is similar!

It's all very charming, though. I was in the mood for this kinda thing; it was a toss-up between this or re-watching Star Trek: Voyager, but this is most certainly scratching the itch.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger If I have one word of advice, it is to skip the films.

Oh... And Excalibur too 😉

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON You mean Crusade, yeah? Because it's all in the box.

I really liked the pilot film, a lot. Whilst I appreciate the advice, I've got it all here so I might as well (and this is me we're talking about; supporter of Justice League, Batman & Robin, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: Voyager, the Star Wars prequels... so I'll probably end up thinking they're the best bits).

Some folks said to start with In the Beginning, but I saw that it was produced during the fourth season and makes more sense as a flashback between then and the fifth season.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger That's it! Crusade! 🙄 Urgh.

I'll be interested to read what you think. I didn't watch the films until well after I'd watched B5 and Crusade. Not sure if Crusade just soured it all for me or what.

I'll have to get a hold of it all soon.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I've got the correct viewing order for Crusade to hand as well. I'd watch it for Gary Cole regardless, I think he's fantastic.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger He is, but I just remember waiting for some Sheriff Buck quip or smarmy Office Space bloke to rear up 😂

Not often I find casting particularly distracting, but yeah...

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Since I've no idea where those two references come from...

To me, he's the Vice President from The West Wing, Kent Davison from Veep, the ballistics expert from The Good Wife and a good half-dozen voices in animated DC content... and Archer, come to think of it. This'll be the youngest I've ever seen him!

Wonder if they'll ever restore him as an Elusive Target in Hitman. That'd be cool.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger 😲 ah...
Well his (for me) finest role was that of Sheriff Lucas Buck in the short-lived but excellent TV show American Gothic. Which is also a good watch just to confirm that yes, Sarah Paulson has always been annoying to watch 😂
And of course the office manager guy, who's name I forget, from the film Office Space. Another seller turn for him actually!

FullbringIchigo

On this day in Star Trek History, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier premiered and we was graced with one of the best lines in the series

Untitled

now STV is a bit of a mess but it's still enjoyable in a "so bad it's good" way but it did also have some really good moments, so what was your favourite STV moment?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo "Sulu, look. The sun's come out. It's a miracle."

Also, the whole campfire scene is perfect, just perfect. I know it word-for-word and it's the yardstick by which I measure the Kirk / Spock / McCoy trinity.

"It's a song, you green-blooded Vulcan! The words aren't important, what's important is that you have a good time singing it!"
"Oh, I am sorry, Doctor. Were we having a good time?"
"God, I liked him better before he died."

Jerry Goldsmith's score is also note-perfect every step of the way. I genuinely adore the film. I know some people point to the melodrama of earlier films, or the more refined comedy of The Voyage Home, as examples of the original cast at their most human, but Shatner and the gang seem genuinely relaxed and comfortable in their uniforms. It also often catches me off-guard, with moments like McCoy's flashback to his father's death and some of the solid Trekkian musings on humanity ("I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.").

But yes, what does God need with a starship?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
"God, I liked him better before he died."

There's just too much about FF that I don't like - agree on the moments mentioned though.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah it's story was a bit dull and the CG was lackluster but it had some great character moments

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic