Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 561 to 580 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah that's pretty nice, that classic design still holds up well

goes to show that the Discovery Design just isn't a great one although the recoloured TOS versions were pretty nice but still the whole thing is over complicated

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger

well i think it's safe to say the old Trek is dead

CBS Television Studios Launches Star Trek Global Franchise Group
Untitled

CBS today has announced a brand new dedicated Star Trek division, a global franchise group “that will manage and maximize the expansion of the “Star Trek” brand beyond the traditional boundaries of linear broadcasting and streaming.”

This is something that we at TrekMovie been expecting for a while, with the relaunch of the official StarTrek.com website a few months ago, jobs posted at CBS about helping to build the Trek brand, and key people like (Trek merchandise boss) John Van Citters getting promotions, it was clear something big was brewing.

Leading the new team is Veronica Hart, Executive Vice President, “Star Trek” Global Franchise Management, who will manage the “Star Trek” global brand strategy to support the content development plans being developed within CBS and under the stewardship of Alex Kurtzman. The new business unit reports to David Stapf, President of CBS Television Studios.
Untitled
Veronica Hart
The unit’s goal is to invigorate and broaden the “Star Trek” fan community through additional branding opportunities, such as podcasts, a reinvigorated StarTrek.com and new digital spaces, consumer products and gaming, as well as live experiential events and global attractions. These endeavors to further grow the brand are designed to complement the Studio’s expansion of the “Star Trek” universe, which now includes two live-action series, two animated projects and multiple “shorts.”

“Veronica and her team are not only gifted brand strategists and veteran consumer products executives, they are also experts on the ‘Star Trek’ canon,” said Stapf. “We are excited to launch this new business unit because the brand has an enormously rabid fan base, and we look forward to expanding its reach even further.”

“As we expand the Trekverse, Veronica’s team and Secret Hideout are dedicated to broadening ‘Star Trek’s’ brand reach by amplifying its core values globally: empowerment, inclusion, imagination, and above all, the exceptional storytelling that’s inspired generations of fans,” said Alex Kurtzman.

The new franchise group will be based out of Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout Productions in Santa Monica, Calif. Kurtzman, who is under an overall deal at the studio, is the executive producer of the various “Star Trek” series.
Untitled

Original Article Trek Movie: CBS Television Studios Launches Star Trek Global ...

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo "The new franchise group will be based out of Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout Productions in Santa Monica, Calif. Kurtzman, who is under an overall deal at the studio, is the executive producer of the various “Star Trek” series."

Urrrrrrrggghh....!!!!!!!!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON like i said, the old Star Trek is dead and now instead of being made in order to create a great show whit great stories and characters it's now going to be made just to make money from merchandise

it's going to go from being a trend setter in Sci-Fi do being generic Sci-Fi 101, cranked out as if it's on a production line

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Well, 'We'll always have Paris'...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo For the sake of my own sanity, I'm gonna stick my fingers in my ears and go "la la la, can't hear you" over the disappointing new direction of the Star Trek franchise and instead go back a couple days and answer the following post.

FullbringIchigo wrote:

so on my current Star Trek rewatch and i just watched TOS S2E13 Obsession & the reason for the time limit is they had to pick up medical supplies from the Yorktown to deliver to Theta VII but the Yorktown is also a Constitution class so why did the Enterprise need to take it? the Yorktown could do it itself, speed can't be the reason as both ships are the same class and thus are as fast as each other, IN FACT it would be more efficient for the Yorktown to do it as it would get there quicker because it wouldn't have to stop and transfer the supplies to the Enterprise

so yeah it makes NO sense at all

You're right, it makes no sense, but then so much of the original series' own internal canon falls into the same trap. These were starships capable of going warp thirteen, with dilithium crystals that could facilitate interdimensional time travel if you touched them. A few crossed wires and you could end up travelling to the Andromeda Galaxy in a couple days, there and back (and not even when you'd somehow made it to the edge of the galaxy anyway, just for the heck of it, like they did every other week).

None of this is a criticism; the show's focus wasn't on consistent science fiction in the 60s, it was on half-decent characters teaching you moral lessons and occasionally kissing a groovy chick in knee-high boots. If they needed it to happen for story purposes, to heck with it, it happened. But it just goes to show how incredible the Berman-Era shows were when they made one or two major canon / consistency goofs a season, compared with the bizarre haphazardness of the original series. It's kinda why I can't make it through the original series any more, and have only done so once before. I like individual episodes for the characters and story, and will drop in and out to watch them, but watching more than two or three in a row completely obliterates my OCD's thirst for logical order.

Speaking of, how'd you find "Wolf in the Fold" (TOS) and how much further have you gotten?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i always liked Wolf in the Fold, it's a bit silly but i still like it and yeah TOS is really the only series that has so much incontinuity that they were still retconing it during Enterprise and even then some things were never explained, like how they went from exploring the entire Galaxy to just one small corner of it but i think we tend to let TOS slide because it was the original and it's bound to have issues and besides Gene himself said when he made TNG that "This is the true canon" meaning if anything in TNG contradicted TOS then TOS was in the wrong

honestly TOS as much as it is loved SHOULD probably get the reboot treatment, get in a younger cast a redo it then have the canon of the series be, Enterprise, Discovery, TOS Reboot, TOS Movies, TNG, DS9, Voy, TNG Movies and Picard

as for how far i got, well i got to "The Ultimate Computer" then decided to watch Wrath of Khan

FullbringIchigo

also Today is the 10th Anniversary of Star Trek (2009)

what are everyone's thoughts on the first of the "Kelvinverse" films ten years on, have they changed?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I often do the same; watch a couple episodes, then go "I much prefer the original films, so I'll just watch my favourite ones of those!" and skip ahead. Nice to know I'm not alone in that! Those films still hold up today, and they're what I reference if I ever want to tip my hat to Kirk & Co. in my fan fiction. Trying to reference original episodes and their mess of continuity is too much of a headache!

There's always a line with me anyway. I'll forgive slip-ups in TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise because more often than not they were impossible to escape for character and / or plot purposes. I'm here to see cool characters fly cool ships and say cool things, not count the windows on the hull; nevertheless, the original series made that approach almost impossible to maintain. I think Gene's answer to any inconsistencies is spot-on (and the same logic can be applied to Star Wars, and how each generation of films has moved with the times, both technologically and socially).

I'm happy with the Kelvin Timeline carrying on as a reboot of the original series which doesn't destroy and / or alter anything from the Prime Timeline (that is, if it ever does carry on).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
I'm not all that keen on the Kelvinverse - it's just 'action' Star Trek through a very generic sci-fi - action lens(flare).

Discovery has probably softened me towards them though, as they're never quite as bad as it is; and it's still fair to say that on the whole, the casting at least was absolutely spot on. Story, scripting, direction and design however...

They're OK sci--f films with some nice spectacle here and there. Yorktown (and the arrival sequence) for example is still a brilliant bit of sci-fi eye-candy.

I'm not certain that the Kelvin films will continue, there's certainly been plenty of speculation - but with the news the other day of the renewed push from CBS - perhaps that'll lend investors some semblance of confidence that a 4th film could do well.

If they do - they really need to bin that Enterprise A from the end of Beyond!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON thing is that you have to remember (and this is something EVERYBODY doesn't get) is that CBS are the master licence holder of Star Trek (this is also why that "they had to change Discovery by 25%" stuff is a load of crap, they changed it for merchandising rights, no other reason) and while Paramount can make Trek movies they are done under licence from CBS because all Paramount ACTUALLY has control of is distribution of the movies (this also means that any Trek Paramount makes CBS can use) so if CBS are pushing Discovery and it's spin offs then more than likely they wont want Paramount making a film that will compete with it

unless CBS and Paramount can come up with some kind of deal (or if CBS actually gets round to buying them back) then i think Trek movies are pretty much dead for now

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I'm well aware of the licencing break-down - but Discovery is actually made under the same licence terms as the Kelvin movies as it's held by the same production company, CBS are essentially still just putting up the money.

The ultimate aim of the game for them is to make money. While it could be a fine line, more Star Trek of any sort will likely do as good at marketing other Star Trek by simply existing. It really is a potential 'win-win' to have a forth Kelvin film going.

Hopefully the Viacom thing happens.

FullbringIchigo

egghhh

Alex Kurtzman Talks Picard Series And Star Trek’s Future On TV
Untitled

CBS continues to move full steam ahead on expanding the Star Trek franchise. Just this week we have seen the announcement of a new Star Trek group, the first animated show in decades reach a new milestone and a high-profile event to garner award buzz for Discovery. In a new profile piece in the LA Times, the man behind this expansion talks about where he sees Star Trek going.

A psychological Picard show and complex Section 31 series

In a new article about the state of the Star Trek franchise, Alex Kurtzman confirms that CBS All Access is planning on having three live-action Star Trek shows in rotation, but not at the same time. In addition to Star Trek: Discovery, the other two shows are the Picard series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart (which went into production last month) and the planned Section 31 series starring Michelle Yeoh, which is expected to start up after the third season of Discovery (which itself goes into production this summer). Kurtzman also tells the LA Times that there are other unannounced Star Trek shows in development.

The Picard show is set to premiere later this year. Kurtzman outlined their approach:

The mandate was to make it a more psychological show, a character study about this man in his emeritus years. There are so few shows that allow a significantly older protagonist to be the driver…What happens when circumstances have conspired to not give him the happiest of endings? Hopefully, it’s a reinforcement of [‘Trek’ creator Gene] Roddenberry’s vision of optimism. He’s going to have to go through deep valleys to get back to the light

The man in charge of Trek on TV also explained why they have chosen to spin off a show focused on Michelle Yeoh’s Empress Georgiou from Star Trek: Discovery:

People locked in on Georgiou as being a wonderful oddity. She is wicked, devious, manipulative and yet somehow radiates this incredible heart. People love her…We looked to shows like ‘Killing Eve,’ to franchises like ‘Mission: Impossible,’ things that were complicated on a plot level but also a character level. I think it’s fun for people to see a show with a protagonist who’s entirely unreliable. At the end of the day, she’s going to do the right thing, but in the exact wrong way

Something new for two animated series

Kurtzman also spoke briefly about the two animated Star Trek series in development. Regarding the recently announced kid-oriented show headed to Nickelodeon, Kurtzman promised it is nothing like the 1970s Star Trek cartoon, adding:

I can’t reveal details on that one, but it’s something that has never been done before in Star Trek.

As for the adult animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks slated for CBS All Access and headed up by Rick and Morty‘s Mike McMahan, Kurtzman said:

It’s a total love letter to Star Trek; there’s no mockery.

Discovery season 3 to go bold

The third season of Discovery is being written right now with Kurtzman and co-showrunner Michelle Paradise. He spoke briefly about the opportunities available to the writers by jumping the show into the future:

Now that we’re free from canon, we get to ask ourselves some incredibly bold, complicated questions. We get to dive deep into our imagination and think about what the universe would look like [930] years.

Untitled

Original Article TrekMovie Alex Kurtzman Talks Picard Series And Star Trek’s...

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo

"We get to dive deep into our imagination and think about what the universe would look like [930] years"

It probably looks a lot like Discovery 😂

'Lower Decks' could eng up being the highlight. Rick and Morty is sharp, funny and clever.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it should look like tech from the Relativity, but it wont

i really wish CBS would just call it a reboot and call it a day

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Your last comment made me chuckle, about how Discovery's third season should encounter the USS Relativity. I was thinking about the rumours surrounding the Picard series, where merchandise-makers were objecting to the production design, and I thought to myself "Well, they should be wearing the All Good Things / Endgame uniforms anyway, so where's the problem?" Then I remembered who was making the Picard series and my heart sank.

Although I often find myself alone in loving those uniforms. Most comment sections and / or articles I read about them are negative, but I think they were awesome.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I think we'll be lucky to see any recognisable star ship designs in Picard - let alone uniforms!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON True. Maybe a few flashbacks for fan service, a shot of the Enterprise-D perhaps, because that'd be the most recognisable.

Oh well. There's always Star Trek Online, a.k.a. the Starfleet Dress-Up Simulator.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic