Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 521 to 540 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Trailer for the upcoming STO Episode is up

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

iO9 pulled out a blinding bit of 'retro-shaming' for Star Trek today... never 'queer' enough, which is probably true - but in labouring the point the author spends almost her entire (probably) 4000 words studiously avoiding using the words 'gay' or 'lesbian' wherever possible.

#woke

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i don't agree with Retro-shaming for TV shows and films, they are a product of their time and while we now may believe that some of what they did wasn't right they should NOT be judged by modern values but instead be viewed as a snapshot of that time period in which they was created

it's like Whoopi Goldberg said in the intro to the Loony Toons Golden Collection and while on a different subject is just a relevant

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
It's just another woke article, from a woke author and a woke publication.

It's miserly in appreciation for the ground Star Trek has broken and even then, always peppers it with a 'but...'.

We can all agree that 90's Trek could and should have included more homosexuality portrayed in a natural way - but it didn't, not for lack of people who made the shows wanting to try in some way.

Today's article even tries to tear down Discovery's depiction of their gay core characters (while at the same time trying to laud it)...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah there should have been but as sad as it is to say we have to remember that in some places when Trek was on TV it was still illegal to be gay, infact in some places in the world it still is for example i was watching Judge Rinder yesterday (don't judge me) and the defendant was saying how he was living in Jamaica and he was stoned, STONED in this day and age for being gay

and first off i have to say, i'm not gay so i have NO idea what people have been through so i wont even pretend to try but we shouldn't be judging shows of the past for not being inclusive but instead be looking at the future shows to make sure they ARE inclusive

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo More on point for Trek, it was made in America, ostensibly for Americans. America is truly unlike any other country on the planet when it comes to the social/moral/religious disconnect between how people actually live versus what people who produce content think will sell. I'd say that's still pretty true even now.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah i would agree with that, there is a definite disconnect between the creators and the consumers but not just in TV and Film but in games too

FullbringIchigo

i just want to say Anthony Rapp, is a bit of an arse i made a comment about how Twitter will share what likes people you follow make and how there was a load of Game of Thrones spoilers because he had liked them and he set his Twitter followers on me

so i blocked him and every single one of the people who who has been commenting on it and making my already bad day worse

Anthony you are a arse

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo .............. and I only just realised that Stamets was the loser in Dazed & Confused!
Not surprised he's an arse to be honest.

I've stayed away from social media and most entertainment 'news' sites for most of the day. I'm still spoiler free and looking forward to later!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you know if i had actually blamed him or been nasty about it i would understand but i wasn't and it didn't help when he started liking comments that were attacking me

but it's a mute point now because the thread was muted, he was blocked and now i wont be bothered by it again

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you.

Anthony Rapp is an arse. He wasn't exactly my favourite human being when I woke up this morning anyway (not that I know the guy, just a general sense from interviews and whatnot) but that's totally uncalled for, and also totally the kind of behaviour he'll invariably end up denouncing when his publicist wants to raise his profile and get him "fighting for a cause" somewhere down the line.

You're a braver man than I to engage in social media. Well done for blocking it and shutting it all down. Never let one stupid person's stupidity ruin your day.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well that's what the block button was made for right

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Damn right.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo You could say that it's "blocked" his chance to en-Rapp-ture you as a Trekkie.

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger *jk
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo You know me; always trying to make people smile!

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well...
Untitled

i swear there is a Star Trek reaction gif for everything

FullbringIchigo

so i have been trying to re-finish the story on STO with my Klingon character (as since the last big update they changed the story and now you have to redo some missions to 100% chapters again) but some of the new episodes are TFO's and it's really annoying, i was waiting 40 minutes for one to get enough players

who thought it was a good idea to put forced team up missions in a story mode, in a game that has now been out so long that most people don't even do them anymore?

FullbringIchigo

SO apparently they put together a list of 10 essential episodes of Star Trek what do you think?

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/top-10-fan-star-trek-episode...

personally there are some i don't agree with but it's not a bad list

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic