Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 501 to 520 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

Season finale of Discovery watched. I almost feel dumber for having seen it if I'm honest.

Incredible spectacle in parts - but the writing and story... 🙄

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger first off, i'm not back, at least not yet but i really felt like i HAD to throw in my 2 cents about the finale

first off it was honestly all flash and very little substance and it looked damn nice but it felt to me like it was the producers admitting that they messed up and are giving themselves a clean start

going 930+ years into the future they are now completely free from anything the previous series did (because a lot can happen in the 800 years since TNG) and they are free to use whatever designs they want when it comes to ships, uniforms tech or aliens, they can put their own spin on the franchise now and not step on any toes

in all honesty it's probably the best outcome they could have and as strange as it may sound, now being free from all constraints i think they can make the show work and i'm actually excited for what the next season will bring

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Spoilers! Not sure if @RogerRoger cares or not.

Also, the first rule of Star Trek is: You do not talk about Discovery... 😜😂😂😂

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON CRAP! i completely forgot about spoiler tags, sorry RogerRoger

#StillNotBack

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, don't worry. I don't consider Discovery something that I'm a big enough fan of to really care about spoilers. Now that it's finished, I'll watch it all in a week and see what's what, and I'll likely have forgotten anything of note before then anyway!

It's just awesome to have you back, if only temporarily! Hope you've been alright!

And besides, as @KALofKRYPTON would appear to agree, I'd already heard that there are significant gaps in the plot logic and overall writing quality, so I'll likely watch the whole thing with really low expectations and end up liking it more as a result. And double-besides, spoiler tags don't translate to the notification emails I receive whenever I'm tagged, so I also know that there's a potential Fight Club reference in it and I loathe Fight Club with a passion, so it can't be any worse!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger like i said, i think they knew they messed up and this is their was of trying to salvage the series, by going into the future away from everything they are free to do any kind of story they want to, WHICH is what they should have done in the first place but Fuller HAD to have his prequel series, he HAD to have his Klingons and you would think that someone who worked on Trek before would know better

you can see why CBS fired him after the pilot was done

as for Fight Club, never watched it because it's not my kind of film but if your going on about the ending then i would say it was more a call back to a DS9 episode

and i had to come back to post for this one, it's Star Trek, it was the final episode of the season and while the season wasn't the best Trek season ever it was a damn sight better than Season 1 and pretty enjoyable plus Anson Mount was awesome as Pike so how could i not

he needs his own series i tell you, mounts Pike WAS the most Star Trek thing in that series
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger It was absolutely a Fight Club reference 😁

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'm seeing a lot of "please give us a Pike series" in comment sections, so I'm not surprised to see you praise him here too. I'm looking forward to that element of it, at least (in the same way Lorca made his episodes of Season One more watchable than they should've been). Apparently there's also a couple of really cool fight sequences for Michelle Yeoh, which I'm keen to see. She's most certainly a bright light in all of this mishandled mess.

Once I've caught up, I'll tag you in my inevitable post of thoughts, thanks!

@KALofKRYPTON Urgh.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Discovery started it! #youdonttalkaboutdiscovery

I wouldn't be surprised to actually see a Pike Enterprise series in development within a few months.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON nah they are too busy messing up Picard and Section 31, after all they had to go back to the design board with Picard because merchandisers didn't want the rights because the core fanbase wouldn't buy them (same with Discovery as well, it's why they changed all the designs after all, so CBS would have full control of the MERCH RIGHTS and not have to share it with Paramount like they do with the other series)

FullbringIchigo

i would still like more Pike on the Enterprise stuff, i know he said it would be hard because it means being away from his wife for 6-9 months as he doesn't live in Toronto but they could always move it to California, the same location they are filming the Picard series
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger (contains potential spoilers, so if you don't want to watch it yet then check it after you have seen the series)

what do you guys think?, is he right?

EDIT i forgot, the Picard series started filming https://trekmovie.com/2019/04/22/star-trek-picard-show-begins...

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I saw the unearned legacy video. He makes some very good points.

Kurtzman seems pretty happy to have Discovery travel in to future now to be 'free from canon' - as if they couldn't have just done that in the first place... 🙄

I do expect more from Pike's Enterprise though. He's been the one thing I think a lot of people have genuinely liked about Discovery.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah i really don't see why it had to be a prequel, apart from to use the Enterprise and Spock to draw in viewers

although i actually really liked the redesign of the Enterprise, it felt like a good evolution from this one

Untitled

Untitled

thing is IF you look at Discovery NOT as a prequel to TOS BUT a sequel to Enterprise which itself is a sequel to First Contact and IF you take into account the events of First Contact changed the timeline even if only slightly then you could maybe forgive some of the changes and that's what i believe this is, i believe the events of First Contact created a changed timeline, major events are the same but there are differences in other things that mainly affect the late 22nd and 23rd century, things such as technology, uniforms and yes even some character relationships so when the Enterprise-E arrived back in their own time to them it seems no different but there was changes

the events of TOS still happened for example but the Enterprise ship and uniforms looked like the Discovery versions instead of the TOS one (and this wouldn't effect the U.S.S Defiant seen in the mirror universe in Enterprise because that came from the original timeline)

i know that's my head canon but it helps me make it all make sense

FullbringIchigo

another show, i'm wondering if it may be too much too soon

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-nickelodeon-animation

FullbringIchigo

AND they just announced the next Star Trek Online update

Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo well, I'd say the child-targeted cartoon is where they intend to find some licensing and merchandise revenue then.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON probably, it's a lot easier to sell toys to kids after all

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Aww, that video you embedded just served to remind me of "Real Life" (VGR) and how much I totally cried when the Doctor's daughter died at the end.

I watched it because I don't really care about spoilers at this stage, but also because I'd seen a couple reviews and comments (even the blindly-supportive ones) highlight the issue of undeserved emotional scenes in Discovery, even moreso in the second season. People saying things like "But they've only known each other for, like, a week... so why are they crying?" That kinda thing really annoys me, because I'm somebody who does get emotionally involved in the stuff he watches (see the Voyager example above) and never likes to be pushed or forced. I'm also somebody who's insanely aware of how emotional moments are constructed (I wouldn't have cried at the 24 series finale as much as I did if the music wasn't deliberately designed to make me) and so if I detect any of that going on randomly, as if from nowhere, I'll be pretty darn mad.

And what's this, ANOTHER new show? Yikes. This is... no, this is not good.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah they do try and force the emotions on us instead of actually building them but what do you expect from a bunch of writers who have NEVER written Sci-Fi before and mainly wrote Soap level dramas

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic