Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 461 to 480 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

IGN has done a review of the latest Star Trek Discovery episode, note SPOILERS are in the article so click the link at your own peril

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/02/01/star-trek-discovery-re...

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

a few days late but i got round to watching Discovery Season 2 Episode 3 and it was a good one plus it looks like Tyler has joined Section 31 so that will be interesting to see in future episodes

but there is ONE thing they have been saying that this season L'Rell has to fight sexism being a female chancellor in a male dominated council and i'm sorry but that was total bull****, the council was genderly diverse and the motivation of the baddie was power and had nothing to do with sexism, i'm actually really starting to like the series and the characters BUT the actors behind it are trying to push an agenda and are twisting the episodes into something they aint

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I did see a random comment on a random article someplace (when looking at something completely unrelated) that L'Rell and the Klingon element of Discovery "continues to be a poorly-handled missed opportunity that can't decide what it wants to be".

Sorry to hear that you'd agree with that assessment.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah that's pretty much correct

they should just drop the Klingon's full stop honestly or give them their own series because they just don't gel this season, it just feels like they are there because they were there last season

KALofKRYPTON

Just seen the redesigned Talosians... le sigh...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i know, why don't they just come out and say it's a reboot because that is obviously what it is

on a positive note they announced 2 of the cast for the Picard series and while i have not seen much of Michelle Hurd apart from the few episodes of Hawaii 5-0 she was in i HAVE seen Santiago Cabrera in a few things including Merlin and The Musketeers and he's a pretty good actor
Untitled

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/04/star-trek-picard-series-cast...

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo so very much...

He did a good enough turn in Salvation too. Was she in that Justice League pilot?

EDIT: she was!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON not according to her Wiki page although she was in Daredevil apparently but i never watched much of that

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON OH that old film

yeah it was bad

KALofKRYPTON

Picard series apparently named Star Trek: Destiny... Imaginative.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON and it was all going so well
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo STDs all over the place!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you would have thought they would have tried to come up with a title that wasn't almost the same as the other running series

just calling it "Picard" would have been fine, it didn't even need Star Trek in the title because "Picard" tells you all you need to know

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It's pretty 'off the shelf' isn't it. In fact - I'd bet it was a proposed title for Discovery at some point.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON probably was

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @KALofKRYPTON What's worse is that the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy of novels already exist, and involve Picard (as well as Captain Ezri Dax, because of all the characters who would make excellent starship commanders, she's top of the... oh, wait).

At least Star Trek: Discovery was only my supremely-average fan fiction before a couple years ago.

I also love Star Trek because it isn't Star Wars; there's a big difference between "using intelligence and skill to craft your own outcome as you push forward the frontiers of exploration" (Trek) and "destiny" (Wars) and yet the Kelvin films often spoke of Kirk being "destined" to captain the Enterprise, and about Kirk and Spock being "destined" to come together (something I always took from JJ Abrams saying multiple times that he specifically wanted to make Trek more like Wars).

Picard is the polar opposite of destiny. Picard solves things using rational deduction (hence his obsession with Dixon Hill) and diplomacy, with a light smattering of "shields up, red alert" when it's absolutely necessary. It's literally the worst word they could've chosen.

My money was on "Star Trek: Engage" but what do I know.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well it is CBS after all, i'm surprised they even came out with a name at all

i still think just "Picard" would have been perfect

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger I'd just like something a little more grounded in the show itself. Unless this is grounded in the show and rather than being a straight up continuation of Picard's life and career, they just go the almost inevitable 'cosmic significance' route.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well that's what happens when you have a Star Wars fan who doesn't understand Trek in charge of Star Trek

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic