Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i remember reading something about that once, it was a while ago though but now i think about it, it's probably something they should have done

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I quite like Reed's character (a lot of which is internal, thanks to Dominic Keating apparently being a big dumb kid on set, always pulling faces and telling jokes) but there are times when he's written as a bit of a "dudebro" and I facepalm. With the right writers, they could've made it work, providing it wasn't sensationalised.

Apologies, by the way, for being a bit grumpy towards Discovery earlier; glad you kinda liked the first episode of the new season, and equally glad Anson Mount lands well as our third take on Captain Pike, as he's what I'm probably looking forward to the most.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it was definitely a step up on season 1 (not like that was a hard thing to do) although as i said you can still feel the feelers of the terrible duo of Berg and Haberts on this BUT you can also see where the new blood is

now we know they were sacked after the 6th episode and that the first 6 also had some reshoots afterwards but all in all it was a pretty good episode, also the Enterprise Uniforms look really good in motion, just a shame they aint keeping them (at least for this series anyway, who knows about the next)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger apparently according to Kurtzman the Picard series will come out BEFORE season 3 of Discovery and they are aiming for the end of this year

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo sounds like someone at CBS is panicking.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON probably, while Discovery season 2 looks to be better than season 1 it's still not setting the world alight (and the cast aint helping either some of the things they are saying on Twitter or in interviews are well, lets just say if i said similar things about women i would be labeled a sexist and a misogynist)

and there is also the fact that Berg and Harberts wasted most of the seasons budget on the first few episodes, which Netflix refused to cover this time and CBS All Access numbers falling (or people that are going to sign up for the free trial after the show has aired and binge watch the series so they get it for free), they need something to draw back the fans

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Writing must be going as well as they keep saying, then!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger probably although some of the Discovery writing staff are now doing the Section 31 show so god knows what that means for Discovery in the future

KALofKRYPTON

I got around to watching episode 1 of season 2 yesterday.

Um... well... It's still Discovery - very much so, and still holds on to most of what I didn't like about season 1.

What I would say though, is something I really wasn't expecting - I'd really like to see Pike and his crew away from the war on their 5 year mission! He's already the best thing in the show.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah but now Berg and Harberts are gone that may change

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Honestly, with the Spock/Red Angel arc - I think it's going to feel like a two-part show; the bits of Pike being a bit more Star Trek, and the rest of the arc being that ever present sullen and grim layer of Discovery.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah peobebly but what should we expect when it has a showrunner charge part way through

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON some more Trek news

Star Trek Producers Talk Spock, Pike, ‘Discovery’ Season 3 And ‘Short Treks’ At Winter TCA

Untitled

oday at the Television Critics Association Winter event, CBS revealed some new info about what is coming next for Star Trek on CBS All Access. In addition to executives from All Access, on hand were Star Trek: Discovery executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin, along with stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Anson Mount, and the new Spock, Ethan Peck. News from the event has started to emerge on Twitter from some of the television critics attending the Pasadena-based event. We have gathered together all the big highlights.

Big ideas for Discovery Season 3, but waiting for greenlight

At the Discovery panel, Alex Kurtzman revealed post-production for the season two finale is underway and that while there are “big ideas” for season 3, they have not yet got the official order for a new season.

Alex Kurtzman says they are cutting the Season 2 finale right now and they have a lot of "big ideas" for Season 3 so "hopefully we'll get the pickup." No news on that today

Kurtzman also addressed taking over as showrunner after Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg were let go last summer, saying he felt it was his responsibility.

Alex Kurtzman: "I was not planning on running this show. Having been on many writing staffs, I know what it feels like to come to work and not feel like I can be my authentic self. I felt personal responsibility to take over."

Making new canon for Spock and Pike

Regarding Spock, the assembled panel would not reveal which Star Trek: Discovery episode will feature the debut of Ethan Peck (TrekMovie’s best guess is episode 7), but they did say they will be creating new canon and it will be “different from what you expect.”

S2 will explore the details of Pike's life and build some NEW canon for Spock and company

More emotion, more bridge crew, no comment on Romulans

Alex Kurtzman hinted that fans should keep an eye out for the USS Enterprise to return, while Heather Kadin promised that season two of Discovery delivers more emotion than season one.

Alex Kurtzman says the key to balancing the show is keeping the spirit of the Enterprise when it's not physically there — but also "it doesn't mean it won't come back,

Kurtzman also talked about efforts this season to expand the roles of the bridge crew

Alex Kurtzman says it was a conscious effort to further flesh out the bridge crew in the premiere and to also juxtapose the old captain with the new by how the new responds when they introduce themselves

He also said to expect more aliens showing up in season two, but would not confirm if Romulans will be one of them. He also joked about tribbles getting their own channel.

Alex Kurtzman says you'll see more cultures in Season 2. Won't say anything about Romulans though

"Tribbles should get their own 24-hour channel," jokes #StarTrekDiscovery EP Alex Kurtzman

Giacchino to direct animated Short Trek

It was revealed that one of the two animated Star Trek: Short Treks episodes coming this year will be directed by Oscar-winning composer (and composer of three Star Trek feature films) Michael Giacchino. The other will be directed by Discovery executive producer Olatunde Osunsanmi. It has previously been revealed that these two Short Treks will each have different animation styles, that will also differ from the Star Trek: Short Treks animated comedy being developed by Mike McMahan.

Two more animated #ShortTreks will be coming after this season, one directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi and one by composer Michael Giacchino

Status updates on Picard and Section 31 shows

Earlier in the presentation, executives Marc Debevoise and Julie McNamara updated the assembled critics on the future of All Access. With regards to upcoming Star Trek shows they spoke about the previously announced Picard series with Patrick Stewart, Section 31 series with Michelle Yeoh, and animated Star Trek: Lower Decks series being developed by Mike McMahan. According to USA Today’s Gary Levin they re-confirmed that the Picard series is premiering in late 2019. As for the Section 31 series, they clarified that even though it was announced, it is currently in “development” and does not yet have a series order greenlight, unlike the Picard and Lower Decks series

Original TrekMovie article https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/30/star-trek-producers-talk-spo...

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Cool about Michael Giacchino, one of the few saving graces of the Kelvinverse is his music - I especially like his TOS medleys they use at the end credits.

More of the crew is imperative to the show for my money. TNG era Trek was never shy about delving in to the bridge (and other) crew. I'm no slouch - and I pay attention most of the time - but even at this point, I couldn't name the comm's, navigation, tactical or helm officers off the top of my head.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i know the Helm officers name, Detmer (that's the one with the strange thing on the side of her head) but that's it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Even after showcasing a couple of them a little more in the last episode their names still haven't stuck with me.

They need to move beyond 'sci-fi' extras. Especially the robot/cyborg thing...

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah what is the point of her, i mean what's her actual job?

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I think she's on the 'random op's/change as needed - we spent a lot on the make up so she's staying on the bridge' station.

RogerRoger

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

@FullbringIchigo I think she's on the 'random op's/change as needed - we spent a lot on the make up so she's staying on the bridge' station.

Hey, that's how we ended up with Worf, but then lightning never strikes twice, I guess.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic