Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I doubt Paramount will duck out, not while CBS is making coin from the TV stuff. They'll do something.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo It's the danger with subjecting any fiction, but particularly science fiction, to analysis because for every "How did they...?" you answer, you expose a dozen more "But why didn't they...?" questions which break the story in new and unexpected ways. At some point, you simply have to step back and start answering things with "because it would've ended the show and changed the format" and that's unfortunately all I can say to your example of the quantum slipstream (because then they would've gotten home at the beginning of Season Five) AND your question about the tricobalt device (because otherwise they couldn't have destroyed the vast, powerful Caretaker Array).

Oh, and with regards the line about Romulan dust, well... ouch. That's a supernova-scale burn!

@KALofKRYPTON You hint at something which always steers me away from Star Trek books, namely that the authors always seem to go "Hey, we don't have to worry about budgets, so here's this really complex, bizarre, huge, random, crazy idea that'd never work on television!" and then suddenly you've got aliens with six heads and transparent stomachs, or inside-out planets where everybody walks on the ceiling, or some other nonsense that in turn forces the established characters to act out-of-character.

I've only read a handful of the novels, but they each had moments like that and it made them feel un-Trek, which is a horrible thing to say when the whole point of writing is to tap into the limitless possibilities of imagination. I'm writing my own Trek at the moment to sharpen my skills and my approach is to sit and think before each story and go "Could you film this as an episode of Voyager?" and if the answer is no, I strip it back.

Maybe I'm being super-picky with my opinion here, and it doesn't mean I'll swear off reading the Titan books after your recommendation, but that kinda thing just bugs me, I guess.

As for the Kelvin film being shelved, well, there's always Quentin Tarantino's pitch...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I know what you mean - Titan does that, though in what is I feel a quite Trek way and uses previously established ideas to flesh out as well as point to the 'humans/humanoids only club' nature of Starfleet. It very much plays on Riker's progressiveness.

There's nothing really 'Trek breaking' - but certainly a couple of bits that wouldn't have made budgetary sense to even attempt on TV prior to predominantly (good) CG effects taking over. You could certainly see some of it on Voyager - but it would look like ropey Voyager CG for the character stuff (think, Species 8472 and the macro virus) - the physical environments would probably work well enough.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, okay. Thanks. I'm slightly less nervous to try them now.

You've reminded me of Marina Sirtis answering a fan at a convention, who asked her why almost all the aliens on Star Trek look humanoid. "Well," she replied, "when they start casting non-humanoids as actors in Hollywood, I'm sure that'll change."

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger She's always a treat... Titan is a bit 'at home with the Rikers' (I'm sure you've seen that interview) at times

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON depends on if CBS lets them, what most people don't understand is that while Paramount own the rights to make Star Trek films they still require permission of CBS as they are the master licence holder, EVERYTHING is owned by CBS even the Kelvinverse stuff (it's why that whole rumour about Discovery having to be 25% different is total bull****, CBS even said they didn't HAVE to change it, they CHOSE to change it but that's just people looking for excuses) and with Discovery getting it's second season started, the Picard series well in development plus a Starfleet Academy and Animated series in the works CBS might not want a competing Star Trek product such as another Kelvinverse film ALTHOUGH it's still possible that CBS and Paramount could work together and make a Discovery movie

@RogerRoger i remember her saying that but wasn't it questions like that why they made that TNG episode "The Chase" where most races in the Trekverse were designed to evolve in a similar way thus explaining why they all look similar to each other

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo ah the immediately brushed under the carpet and never referenced again 'The Chase'!
Founders be crazy! 😂

I still think Paramount won't be keen to let go of the Kelvinverse just yet.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON oh i'm sure they wont but it's going to get to a point where they will have too, Star Trek 4 has been shelved (hollywood speak for cancelled for now) and the other actors are not going to hang around forever waiting for a film that possibly may never come

IF they want to keep the Kelvinverse going the best way is to drop the Enterprise and her crew and go with a brand new ship and a brand new crew or heck just take one of the Enterprise crew say like Sulu and have some films with him as Captain of the Excelsior (i would actually really like to see a Kelvinverse Excelsior Class ship)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo #whynotjohncho!!

That's actually a great idea. It would also (this is the cynic in me speaking) tick a lot of boxes that would surely get the influential side of entertainment reporting on-side.

I'd love/hate (more hate) to see what sort of design they may come up with for a Kelvinverse Excelsior! It would have to be the size of the Vengeance!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i saw some fanarts of a Kelvinverse Excelsior and most were just the Vengeance recoloured
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo ew... The Vengeance is an ugly beast!

I quite like this - though it could do with a few straighter lines and perhaps update the design language a touch more. It's a bit 'Kelvinverse Enterprise D' as is.
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah the Nacelle pylons really need to have that 90% bend and the Hull needs that big dip at the back

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON The Bussard collectors on the nacelles make me wanna puke, but otherwise that's not the most hideous starship I've ever seen.

Love the idea put forward by @FullbringIchigo about a Captain Sulu film starring John Cho, though!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo
If you guys use FriendFace, head over to the Hero Collector page. Giveaway competition for the Eaglemoss Space Dock.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON no i don't actually

FullbringIchigo

so with Star Trek 4 being "shelved" do you think the Tarantino Film will be made or will that be scrapped too?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON What the tribble is a FriendFace...?!

Seriously, though, thanks for the heads-up. I'm bracing myself (and my wallet) for an Eaglemoss spending spree in a couple months, once I've made a few decisions on new shelving. I'll look to get a Spacedock then; it'll make one heck of a centrepiece for a Starfleet display.

@FullbringIchigo Depends what his idea was. If he wanted to use the Kelvin crew, then Paramount will either ask him to adapt it to a new cast or tell him "thanks, but no thanks" and it also depends how badly Tarantino wants it. If there's studio turmoil and cast disagreements behind closed doors, he'll be privy to that and might not wanna get involved.

I can't stand the man in interviews and hate all of his films, but I'm incredibly curious to know what his idea is / was, especially since I believe him when he says that he's a huge fan.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Perhaps the Gritty BAFTA styling of Discovery will prompt them to give it the green light - or something similar.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger sorry, habit of calling it that IRL!
I have retired from Eaglemoss collecting unless I suddenly come in to ridiculous amounts of money 😂

Usually get a decent birthday collection at work though and mine is coming up.
Potential for an actual in store purchase as Forbidden Planet usually has a few specials/XLs in stock 🤔

KALofKRYPTON

I'd totally forgotten about this!
http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-...

The recent update on the lawsuit seems to put CBS in the corner with nothing left in the tank; rightly so I think.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic