Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Those videos are awesome. Thanks for posting them!

My best friend is currently watching Voyager for the first time and will often text me with "Wasn't this different in a previous episode?" or "That's not what they said on TNG!" and I'll just chuckle. It doesn't bother her in the slightest (she likes the show, but she's no Trekkie, so she's just wanting to make sure it isn't her mistake) and I think that's great, because as long as an episode or story works in the moment, I don't mind if the details are tweaked.

It's why, when writing Berman-era Trek, everybody would just write "[insert Treknobabble here]" in the scripts, because ultimately it's all about character at the end of the day. "We have a problem and the crew come together to solve it." "Great, what's the problem?" "Does it matter?" "I guess not!"

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know i'm kind of hoping the guy who did those vids does a new one now that Beyond and Discovery have been released

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo They'd be too long!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well it could be done in parts

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo True.

"Welcome to Part 47 of our new Continuity Error video, and good news! We're now ready to move on to the second episode of Discovery..."

I jest because I love.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo
Untitled

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Everybody's a merry man!

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Okay, maybe not Worf, then.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger
Untitled

just not a merry man

FullbringIchigo

well it all sounds intresting https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/18/star-trek-discovery-cast-and...

BUT just ONE small thing, the Klingons was never a Patriarchal society, yes the Warrior class was dominated by men BUT when it came to running each great House it was the Women and as Worf once said "women are our partners in battle" and they was always shown as being equals to the Klingon men (well maybe not so much in TOS but that was the 60's and where Pike said and i quote "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge"), yes the MeToo movement is important but i think they are putting it in the wrong place here, it would be better if it was the Tellarites it was based around as they ARE a race who views women as second class

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo You're right in everything you say, but I can also kinda see that it's not the biggest of tweaks to make to Klingon society; we're far enough back from TNG for any changes made during Discovery to become cultural by the time Worf is born, we didn't see many female Klingons in Enterprise (the only one I can recall was the cook aboard the Raptor Somraw in "Sleeping Dogs") and it's not a stretch to imagine the "brothers in arms" warrior culture leading to a little bit of sexism in the workplace.

I think there was also moments in the TNG Duras Sisters episodes which stated that they were scheming to make Toral chancellor because "women can't be chancellor" and so they were forced to be the power behind a puppet (this was before The Undiscovered Country came out and made Azetbur chancellor after Gorkon's assassination, mind, so it's all shifting sand).

To be honest, I've always figured that whoever's in power just makes up their own rules and uses "tradition" to excuse whatever they want. That'd be very Klingon indeed.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i always thought the thing with the Duras Sisters was more about holding power for a long time, with Toral being so young they would have had the ability for their family to be in power for decades

still in a time of uncertainty things can change a lot although i would think the main problem other Klingons would have with L'Rell would be the fact she became chancellor though very dishonorable means, think about it, she sided with the enemy and used a bomb to take power, she didn't earn it through battle nor was she chosen by the Rite if Succession, she basically walked into the council chambers and said "there is a bomb in the center of out world, listen to me or i blow us all up" and that is VERY un-Klingon

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Finding the quote would mean re-watching "Sins of the Father" and "Redemption, Parts I and II" and they're so soul-crushingly boring, but I can see your logic as well; it was probably a blend of the two, or at least intended to be by the writers.

I would hope they focus on honour, rather than ignoring Klingon tradition to make a social point. I adore Star Trek for its social commentary, but they were always classy about it. I'm concerned Discovery lacks the finesse needed to do it in a meaningful way, and it'll come across as ham-fisted preachy writing (which will then get torn to shreds by the internet).

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger lets be honest it's the internet so it will get torn to shreds anyway no matter how they do it

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Sadly true.

I'm half not on social media to avoid all that crap, and half not on it because I fear I sometimes might be seen as adding to the problem. I'll try and keep my criticism objective, and contained to here.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

RogerRoger wrote:

I'm concerned Discovery lacks the finesse needed to do it in a meaningful way, and it'll come across as ham-fisted preachy writing

that exactly what I expect if I'm honest.

Read a bit of SMG talk about Michael's relationship with Spock; obviously it's deeply troubled - because there was probably never a single thought given to it just being alright...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON to be honest i wouldn't really listen to SMG on anything Star Trek, after all this is the woman who said how great it was to be playing the first Black lead and the first Female lead in a Star Trek series

completely ignoring these two

Untitled Untitled

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic