Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON He... doesn't laugh much, but I'll let you know.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo it's like she's talking about Sisko...

So @RogerRoger, does your Mr have a classic 23rd century silver-black-fox (or would that be black-silver-fox?) design?

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON SO i decided to give Star Trek Online "Age of Discovery" a go (P.C) and when it started the first thing i sadi to myself was "This is just the original Starfleet opining mission with a reskin" and i was right that's just what it is, even down to the whole Klingons taking the Captain and him sacrificing himself so you can attack them bit BUT i think they actually did it better this time around, the voice acting is better, the animation, while still the using the old assets are better, the big interiors actually make sense this time given the Discovery scale (also the bridge of your ship looks really nice) and they even made the Klingons look BETTER on here than they did on the show

if i'm honest IF you was starting a new game on STO and wanted to make a Federation character i would actually say Age of Discovery was the best place to start

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON ...no, he does not.

@FullbringIchigo Just from that screencap alone, I can tell that they've really put some effort into the animations this time around. It doesn't actually look that bad.

Thanks for the report; can you become a "regular" Starfleet officer once you've passed the Discovery missions, or are you limited in uniform / starship types later on? I've also noticed that 23rd Century Starfleet players have different rank insignia and beaming animations when on Spacedock, even if they're wearing TNG uniforms and commanding Galaxy-Class starships; are there similar elements in play here, too?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger not sure because not every episode of Age of Discovery isn't out yet but i imagine it would be the same thing with the effects and insignia and stuff

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ah, fair enough. I guess PS4 will get them all at once later in the year, then?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger possibly but if any of the previous seasons are anything to go by it will probably be the same as the P.C version and getting a few at a time

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo @KALofKRYPTON Okay, so maybe we haven't specifically done this before, but I'm now kinda curious after watching that retrospective video earlier...

...what are your top three (or more) Star Trek games of all time?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger fairly simple one for me.

Bridge Crew
Encounters
Invasion/Shattered Universe
STO

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Top 3 games, hmmm

i would have to say

Star Trek Elite Force II: a really good FPS game and a pretty good story too, plus it has Sir Patrick Stewart in it
Untitled

Star Trek: the game based in the Kelvinverse that released just before Into Darkness, i know it's not many peoples cup of tea but i enjoyed it, it was a solid if unoriginal game and pretty fun in co-op
Untitled

and Star Trek Online: i know it's old but it's just so steeped in the Trek lore and feel and that's what i love about it, it FEELS like Star Trek
Untitled

also a shout out to Star Trek Legacy, Star Trek Invasion, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, Star Trek Encounters, Star Trek D.A.C and Star Trek Deep Space Nine Crossroads of Time

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Wow, love for Encounters! Wasn't expecting that. I'm also quite impressed that your choices are console-based; I often feel, since I don't game on PC, that I've missed all the best Star Trek games over the years, but it doesn't look like I have.

@Fullbringlchigo And with the exception of your top choice, you'd similarly agree, even with your honourable mentions; that's awesome!

My personal picks would probably be as follows:

1. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force
2. Star Trek Invasion
3. Star Trek: Conquest

Honourable mentions to Star Trek: Shattered Universe, Star Trek: Encounters, Star Trek: The Game and Star Trek Online (which I don't really "play" as such, but I've taken over 1,000 screencaps of my starships and crew, so it must be doing something right).

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i would also say that Star Trek The Next Generation A Final Unity is a good Trek game too although playing it now a days is a pain in the butt, it is a DOS game after all

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I'm a sucker for a pasted on theme! 😂

My current laptop is trash and only gets wheeled out when there's something I absolutely can't do on my phone or tablet. I haven't really gamed much on a PC other than low system requirements older stuff for a good long while.

I had a pretty snazzy Sony ultrabook for a while, but sold it on while it was still valuable as I barely used it. The last desktop I had was old Dell office workstation that I killed running a Bablyon 5 Freespace 2 mod 😂

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I watched a playthrough of that once. I rarely watch games, but that one I found quite entertaining. There was also the Star Trek Generations game which I kinda liked the look of; had the voice of the entire cast, from what I recall. I love it when they can manage that.

@KALofKRYPTON I really should start Babylon 5 at some point. My partne, er... my retro tricorder got me the complete DVD collection for my birthday back in June. I'm trying to shave rubbish from my Netflix list to give me a clear-enough run to get through it, because I think I'll get hooked.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Oh do. It's so good! Also, awesome gifting!

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it is fun, if a little hard, it has that late 80's early 90's point and click hardness at times

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, games like that I think I'll settle for watching. Cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

BUT it wouldn't be so blatant if CBS DIDN'T let Fuller go off the deep end with the series, yes Trek is FULL of incontinuities but they are normally small things like the Tricorders and Phasers changing on Voyager between season 2 and 3 (we all know it's because there was a fire at the Paramount lots and they were destroyed so they just used the props made for First Contact, it also damaged to Bridge set too and you can see a few little changes between seasons where it was rebuilt) or how something happens in one episode and is never spoken of again AKA the "Star Trek Reset Button"

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a868679...

also these vids kinda poke fun at a lot of them

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic