Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well to be fair on that one, they looked like that in TOS and the TOS movies PLUS we know that at least some part of the Romulan Race didn't have head ridges because Spock would hang around with them when he was hiding on Romulus, that's how he was able to blend in

they never fully explained it but at best guess it would be no different than it is here on earth with the various races we have

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I'd say that the original crew films are the outlier to the consistency of the Romulans looks really. Even TOS tries to implement the ridges, where Undiscovered Country at least, just doesn't bother.

It is a retcon. Kurtzman wants different Romuland from different regions like he did with the Klingons.

We've seen a natural looking variance in Romulans (and plenty of alien races) by virtue of them being people with make up on, often with skin tone and prosthetic variances.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah but if i'm honest unlike the terrible job with the Klingons at least the Romulans still look like Romulans this time around

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

so a few bits of news, first off ViacomCBS announce 2 more Trek shows in the works

https://trekmovie.com/2020/01/15/star-trek-producers-say-sect...

could these be the rumoured "Starfleet Academy" and "Pike" shows

on a personal note i have to wonder what the hell VCBS are up to, think about it we have Discovery, Picard, Short Treks, Section 31, Lower Decks, the untitled but announced show, the recently announced movie and now 2 more shows, that's NINE things in the works

now i love Trek but that's too much, the Trek fanbase isn't as big and broad as something like the MCU so VCBS SHOULDN'T be trying to ape the Marvel way of doing things

Quality not quantity my friends

now a little Doctor Who news, the viewing numbers are in for Episode 3, Orphan 55 and the live numbers are 4.19m, that's a drop of .41 from the 4.60 of the last episode, i can REALLY see the BBC either making huge changes if this keeps up or just outright cancelling the show

the consolidated numbers for the first 2 episodes are also in (these are the numbers for things like catch up and VOD) and episode 1 ended at 6.70m (4.88 live) and episode 2 ended at 5.91 (4.60 live)

like i said the live, day one numbers on a broadcast show are very important and those are low but even taking in VOD and catch up they are still VERY low

something needs to change

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I agree. That is a lot of Trek.

The last episode of Who was staggeringly average. Interest is certainly wavering, but I do think the year long break really didn't help and the switch to Sunday evening broadcast is a mistake.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah it should have stuck to Saturday, it was a much better time slot for it

FullbringIchigo

In more positive news

HAPPY 25th Voyager

RogerRoger

Many happy returns to my favourite Star Trek show!

Untitled

I don't even care how old this news makes me feel. Although I haven't watched an episode in quite some time. I'm almost suffering withdrawal symptoms at this point.

Before long, this'll be me, searching for the remote and a DVD of "Caretaker" (VGR)...

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you feel old, i have Caretaker on VHS

let that sink in, VHS

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, don't worry, I know that feeling!

For reasons various, I didn't get to see much early Voyager on television, so my Dad would rent the two-episode VHS tapes from our local library and we'd watch them with takeout whenever visiting him. Must've watched most of the first two seasons that way. Good times.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Me and my dad would go round my grandparents each week to watch it as they had the "premium" channels (as they were called back then) i would look forward to that every week

even today when a new Trek airs i will watch it with my Dad, it's kind of a ritual at this point, i wont watch a new episode with out him or film for that matter

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Great stuff, and same here, kinda. My Dad will often wait to watch Star Wars and Star Trek with me, although it's more so that I can explain it to him, I think!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i have to do that sometimes too

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON Doctor Who will be airing in the UK in 10 minutes (at time of posting)

do you think the numbers will be higher than last week or will they continue to fall?

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Just about to check it out.

Given the weak episode last week, I don't expect a sudden resurgence in interest.

Tesla could prove to be a bit of a draw though 🤔

nessisonett

Doctor Who wasn’t too bad tonight, personally. It felt like an old-fashioned romp rather than trying to be anything more. Interesting to see Goran Višnjić turn up in another time-travel show after the kinda terrible but hilarious Timeless.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KALofKRYPTON

Yeah. That was a much better episode than last week.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it wasn't bad and i like that Tesla got some recognition, he was a man ahead of his time and it's nice a show has shown that

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett yeah Timeless didn't really hit the mark, interesting concept though

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo they overplayed the WiFi thing a bit too much, bit of a nonsense that. I'd be hard pressed to say I know many people who've genuinely never heard of Tesla though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic