Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 the issue is that these shows are trying to appeal to a younger new crowd but in doing so they are pushing aside the fanebase they already have

all of these franchise are so old now that they have their fans already, if someone doesn't like Star Trek for example then changing it won't make them a fan, there is already enough material out there for them to see and experience

if they ain't a fan already then they ain't going to ever be, doing what they are doing is just going to turn away the fans they already have, Doctor Who's numbers prove that (even though it's a lot better this series than it was last series)

and i know some people will say that live numbers don't matter in this day and age BUT they are just as important now as they ever was, if a show doesn't get the views on the day and time it's broadcast then that shows to the broadcaster that not enough people are watching it and thus it's taking up a time slot that could be used for something else

if Doctor Who's numbers don't get a lot better i can see the BBC dropping it completely

of course when it comes to a show like Picard being ONLY on a streaming service it's different as they can look at the views for the entire season but for a show broadcast TV before it's released anywhere else the first live broadcast numbers are VERY important

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i'm so, so, the trailers look good and it's Captain Picard so that has me excited BUT then i remember it's still under the control of the same people who produced Discovery which is a decent Sci-Fi show but a bad Star Trek show

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Don't you mean to say that you're "make it so-so"...?

Sorry. I'll see myself out.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

Has everyone read any of the the Stewart interviews from the last few days?

This says plenty about what what Picard is going to be. Pretty much as I'm expecting.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/patrick-stewart-didn-t-want-picard-to...

"He was vindicated by one of his own vehement beliefs about an older, wiser, battle-damaged Jean-Luc: the idealized future presented by the series should be left in the past. “I explained to them all those elements of Next Generation which belong in Next Generation, and why I didn’t want to go near them again,” Stewart told the trade. “But they talked about it in such an interesting way. And they talked for a long time.”

Stewart’s view may be surprising to some—that we cannot simply return to this bright, optimistic future of a unified humanity and its allies out among the stars. But for the actor, who has used his stature and recognition for decades to highlight social and political causes he holds deeply, just returning to that ideal felt inherently wrong.

“In a way, the world of Next Generation had been too perfect and too protected,” Stewart added. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun. [Picard] was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.” "

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well one of the great things about DS9 was how it deconstructed the formula and showed that the Federation wasn't as perfect as they make out, it made it more relatable and realistic BUT this sounds a little bit too far off the scale, while DS9 did all that it still felt familiar and while it showed the Federation to be flawed the characters at least still tried to live up to it's ideals

and the same for Enterprise for that matter, it showed that people make mistakes and that they ain't perfect but they at least try to be better

i really hope the show is good but it's starting to sound like they are doing what they did with Discovery, taking a premise another Trek series already did but doing it worse

i hope i'm wrong i really do

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @LN78
it could just be the way that the framing device is being discussed. As you say, DS9 and Enterprise (and in a few episodes TNG and Voyager) did address the imperfections in Starfleet and the culture of the Federation, though on the whole antagonistic elements were kept to external factions. If Berman and Behr were discussing the plot lines and themes of their shows at the time now with the reach of the internet and in similar context, we may feel the same.

Something I've not really thought about before is the title of the show. It's 'Picard', not 'Star Trek: Picard'. This isn't really going to be Star Trek.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON true, this is going to be more of a character piece and not really a "Star Trek" show, it's a show set in the Star Trek Universe

but we don't really have long to wait until we get to see it for ourselves and find out

FullbringIchigo

so i saw an article about the low viewing figures for Doctor Who and if we should worry, long story short the article said no because the numbers with VOD will increase the viewing count once the series has finished BUT that's wrong the live viewing figures ARE important because the show is broadcast on TV & if the broadcast figures are low then it's going to show the BBC that it's not viable to broadcast the show on TV & that they could use that time slot for something else

point is it's not looking bright for Doctor Who right now and a MAJOR change is needed otherwise it's going to be cancelled again

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 plus it's supposed to be a scary one too and that also puts some viewers off, not everyone likes the scary episodes after all

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo The thing about Doctor Who is that the episodes aren’t awful but it’s just not as good as it was in the Eccleston/Tennant days. I’d say it’s an improvement over the Smith/Capaldi days but I’m reeeallly not a fan of Steven Moffat and his obsession with Victorian London. Bradley Walsh is hilarious in an ironic way and I think that Jodie Whittaker’s doing a pretty good job, she’s captured the wackiness of some of the Doctors. I agree that it’s fading though, I just switch off when it’s on. It doesn’t grab me the way it did. To be fair though, I was pretty young when it was rebooted being a millennium baby and all and it used to scare me sh*tless.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett yeah Jodi is doing well but she could be so much better with a better with a stronger showrunner and writing team behind her and Chibnall isn't good enough

i will say the last 2 episodes were better than EVERY episode from the last series

on a side note i think Smith started really well actually but his run went a bit downhill and his last series wasn't a high point in the show, in fact Smiths run went down hill once Clara came into the show because while she was there it was the Clara show with the Doctor tagging along, it's why Capadi's last series was better than his first 2

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo I really loved The Master in those episodes, I’m a big fan of Sacha Dhawan and think he did a great job of hamming it up while being threatening. Capaldi’s last series was actually really quite good, I liked the companion a lot and felt she got treated pretty badly because they knew it was changing showrunner. Anyway on Star Trek since it’s the thread, I think Picard will be ok but unimaginative, a bit like most of modern Star Trek. Discovery was a bit meh and the Klingons just made me think of the opening to Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i think Picard might do better than Discovery because it's a very character driven piece hence the name "Picard" unlike Discovery that likes to pretend it's an ensemble like the old shows but it isn't, it's the Burnham show

i feel Discovery wouldn't get the heat it does if they didn't try to pretend it was a main line series

but as for this being a Star Trek thread, yes it mainly is but we also talk about a few other sci-fi series here too like Doctor Who and Star Wars (mainly because they wouldn't let us make dedicated threads for them) so it's basically "the sci-fi tread"

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo Oh, I’m sure the Trekkies love that, being the main sci-fi show 😂😂

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett if social media is anything to go by nothing makes them happy (which it isn't honestly, why companies still bother to use it as a gauge for the fanbase i'll never know)

FullbringIchigo

so what do we think about the current talk about the next Trek film

honestly not connecting to any of the current shows or the older films and having a fresh ship and crew could be the refresh the franchise needs after Discovery (a show that lent far to much on it's TOS connections)

lets go into the 25th century and get the series back to the optimistic vision it used to be

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'll be honest, the state of big screen Star Trek has been so scattershot since Beyond that I've given up thinking about it, and will only really react when something concrete is announced (and even then, will half expect it to be cancelled).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Given he’s the guy behind Fargo and Legion, it could be pretty decent. If it’s a reboot then I kinda hope it’s not just recasts and it’s a new ship with new crew.

KALofKRYPTON

Ah Kurtzman... we're getting different looking Romulans in Picard. Because of course we are.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic