Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i have Birth of the Federation and the first 150 years they are a good read and i was disappointed that Discovery didn't really stick to it but now knowing what was going on behind the scenes i know why

as much as CBS has tried to fix it since it started (i will give them that) they let Fuller have too much sway for too long and he essentially tried to reboot the franchise with Discovery, it was Fuller who redesigned the Klingons, it was Fuller that changed the ship designs and it was Fullers toadies Berg and Harberts that tried to follow what he wanted to do and utterly failed at it

as much as people hate Kurtzman at least he tried to sort it out, he didn't succeed but at least he tried

still the new head of ViacomCBS has sais that Trek is one of their most important franchises and has even set up a group to do it (headed by Kurtzman but it's basically a figure head role, the real person in charge is Heather Kadin)

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...and to think, because Fuller worked on Voyager, I had faith in him.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger thing is if you go and look at what Fuller did on Voyager he did bugger all in the grand scheme of things, 4-5 episodes at most

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo He did two completely by himself, the deep and meaningful Neelix vehicle "Mortal Coil" (which I'd call a genuinely fantastic episode) and the throwaway farce "Spirit Folk" (which is fun to have on in the background when you're eating, maybe).

There are some other excellent episodes with his name on, but always in collaboration with another writer, or with somebody taking his story and turning it into a workable teleplay. Highlights include "Living Witness", "Bride of Chaotica!" and "One Small Step" but then he also collaborated with Ronald D. Moore on the grimdark pointlessness that is "Barge of the Dead", so it isn't all good things.

By and large, though, I'd say that his contributions were decent enough.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger oh they were but it was never by himself, he's like George Lucas, he can write and create but he needs someone else to bring that vision to life properly

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger that...that music T^T

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...hnng... That had better be in the film's score!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it should, they did say that they would be sing music from all the other films

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @LN78 If there's one element that unifies all Star Wars, it's John Williams. Part of me always thought it a shame that "Battle of the Heroes" was the lesser of the two pieces, given the weight and significance of Obi-Wan vs. Vader against the comparatively-minor skirmish with Maul... but hey, can't argue with results. It's one heck of a tune, and I'd be overjoyed to hear it again.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger looks like that Odyssey class ship in the Picard comic is the USS Verity NCC-97000 and NOT the Enterprise-F but it does mean one thing now

the Odyssey class is now canon

Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo "My God, that's a big ship."

I thought the bridge layout looked familiar. Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger bigger than bith the Galaxy Class and Sovereign class apparently

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I think one of the reports on the comic mentioned that the E was still in service with a new captain 🤔

About time they made the Odyssey canon. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it suits the progressing design language.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Wasn't there a canon comic ahead of the Kelvin Timeline split, which put the Enterprise-E under the command of Captain Data?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yes, and there was one with LaForge in charge with Data inhabiting the ship and running a crew of Data holograms.

I don't think any of the comics or books are strictly considered canon other that the Kurtzman driven movie tie ins though; you can add Picard to that now too I suppose.

I'm not entirely sure what they'll do with Data as far as canon goes. I think his appearance in the trailer is very likely to be a dream sequence or similar.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger there was but that's not canon anymore as both that one and this one are dealing with the same thing, the destruction of Romulus

still i have that first one and while a decent comic it didn't cover the events very well

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON the Kelvinverse line of comics are really good and flesh out the world and characters a lot more than any film can do

well worth a read especially the one where they meat the TOS versions of themselves

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
I really like how the Titan books handled it.

The Enterprise and Picard were kept well away from Romulus following the Shinzon incident while several competing factions vied for control of the Empire. Post Nemesis there were some tough times on the Enterprise with a couple of high profile disastrous missions.

I only went through a couple of the Titan books and they didn't elaborate on the events too much.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON personally my favourite Trek book series was the Captains Table series, it was great to read some unknown adventures and even with a few new characters too

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Honestly - I really dislike the notion of 'required reading' for a film to be any good/make sense.

It's an issue with Disney Star Wars too... funny that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic