Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger No, no - I'm sure 'The Hateful Trek' will be just fine 😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Hey, we'll always have Paris.

Either the episode or the helmsman; I'm sure you'd take either in preference!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger to be honest if he did a film set during the Dominion Wars based on a group of Starfleet officers stuck on some backwater world then i could see him doing a good film but i can't see him doing a traditional style Trek project with characters like Kirk and Spock, we expect those characters to act in a certain way and i don't think he can pull it off

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I think you've managed to come up with the only 'good' setting for a QT Trek film; War. Small cast, tight plot and close quarters.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it could be a good one to see actually

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

not quite Stat Trek but a trailer for the next series of Doctor Who is here

looking a lot better than the last series but that isn't really hard at the end of the day, last series was disappointing

now in order to link this back to Star Trek here is the Doctor doing the Vulcan Salute
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON SyFy Wire recently posted a interview with Mike Johnson one of the writers on the upcoming Picard Countdown Comic

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/inside-the-star-trek-picard-pre...

now i won't post the entire thing here, you can click the link a read it if you like BUT he also shared a few pictures which i will post here

first up it looks like Geordi is in charge of Utopia Planitia

Untitled

we get to see Admiral Picard on the bridge of his new ship the U.S.,S Verity

Untitled

and if anyone notices it in the 2nd to last last panel on this page we see a model of the Enterprise-E and Standing next to it is an Odyssey Class ship, could this possibly be the Enterprise-F?

Untitled

and last a picture of Picard in all his Admiralty
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Still not liking the uniforms.

Also, sadly - my cynical takeaway is that we probably won't see anything of the/any Enterprise in Picard beyond the odd early reference to get it out of the way.

I hadn't even considered that Picard wouldn't still be in command of the Enterprise for the catastrophic Romulan mission(s).

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well we do have to remember that Picard was made when the licence was split so they couldn't use the Enterprise-E as that was a purely Paramount owned creation

of course now they are merged that's not an issue so it's possible that if that's not the F then the E could show up in season 2

as for Picard not being on the E well he was promoted and most Admirals don't retain command of their ship, they either command a station, an outpost or sit behind a desk commanding a fleet so not being on the Enterprise makes sense, at least to me

i am interested in what his new ship looks like though, guess we will have to wait until the volume drops

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo The bridge of the USS Verity (terrible name, but hey) looks like one of the particularly expansive bridges from Star Trek Online, with the steps behind it and stations surrounding the "captain's pit" in the centre. Can't remember which specifically, but it might very well be Odyssey-Class, as I only saw it fleetingly in story cutscenes, so the Verity (...nope, still a terrible name) might well be an Odyssey-Class starship.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger the official Star Wars YouTube page released a clip of The Rise of Skywalker on their channel, it's defiantly more Force Awakens that Last Jedi in it's tone, whether that's a good or bad thing is up to each person but i liked The Force Awakens so i'm OK with it going back to that kind of tone

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo On a visceral, instinctive level filled with inventive set-pieces and funny reactions? I have no doubt that large chunks of Episode IX are gonna be spectacularly enjoyable cinema.

Thanks for the tag!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it's still not going to stop the haters and fanboys/girls tearing it down though because "it's not the original trilogy" or because "Disney are killing Star Wars" or "it's full of SJW and PC nonsense"

seriously can't people just enjoy things any more

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Seriously though, Disney (with the enthusiastic help of Kathleen Kennedy) are killing Star Wars. The numbers don't lie, and to have Solo be an actual flop is outrageous.

The SJW angle in a lot of ways is a fair one. Though the films aren't particularly woke, making it a key marketing strategy and pushing it as a talking point is tantamount to pi**ing in the wind; online champions of the rhetoric aren't the people buying Star Wars as a product. It's a course in alienating the in-built audience by tearing down established characters - they could've not marketed the soft reboot that way and made more money despite the quality of the films.
Despite being a soft reboot (for financial/licensing purposes), TFA is fun film, a decent start in a lot of ways and introduces some superficially interesting characters to stand in for the ageing (and expensive) original cast. All of that could have worked just fine, if not for Rian Johnson and Kennedy. Even by the end of TFA, we've scratched the surfaces of our new heroes - and found more surface.

That's a good clip, I expect it to be a highlight of TROS.

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 you must not visit the social media sites very often then, there are quite a few people out there who refuse to accept anything but the original 3 films as "Star Wars" (in fact there was this awesome animated Star Trek vs Star Wars video where they actually say that the only movies that count are the first 3 films) and then there are the people who don't want any version but the original theatrical releases, where do you think the whole "Han shot first" thing came from

now that wouldn't be an issue BUT all they do is point out all the problems with the Prequels and now the Sequels while refusing to acknowledge that the original trilogy had many of the same issues which and i'll say it even as a huge fan HAD plenty of bad writing, wooden acting and paper thin characters as well, it's one thing to point them out in films you don't like but you can't ignore them in the ones you do that's just fanboyisum

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 found it

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON check out my previous post it's a funny video

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i wish more people would do that, the amount of grieve you can get online by simply saying something like "i like Episode 1" is downright horrible

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I've seen that.

What's wrong with 'fanboyism'? Our penchant for these things lines the pockets of many people involved in creating them- it's not out of the question that opinions about them aired.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON your right but when people start attacking others because their views are different is when fanboyisum crosses the line and that happens a lot in the Star Wars fandom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic