Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

So Worf (Michael Dorn) himself weighs in on the "New" Klingons
Untitled

Dorn started out diplomatically, providing some context to how Klingons have changed before:

In a general sense, in every iteration of Star Trek – outside of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and all those Klingons – the producers were trying to make it their own and put their own stamp on the Klingons. So, they decided “We are going to do something different than everybody else.”…and I think that is what they came up with for Discovery. There is no rhyme or reason to it, or to any of the stuff, so I think it is just a matter that they want to put a stamp.

The actor then talked specifically about how he did not envy L’Rell actress Mary Chieffo and the time she had to spend being transformed into a Klingon for Discovery:

I am actually really glad that I am not in that makeup, because if you go online and look up YouTube of Mary Chieffo – just a wonderful, just a sweetheart, but what they do to that poor girl is mind-boggling. There are three makeup artists working the whole time on her…I mean, it’s okay. It’s just another iteration.

Untitled

This prompted an exchange with Gates McFadden, where Dorn noted how the complex makeup could be limiting the actor’s performance:

Gates McFadden: It’s an incredible look and she is able to do incredible things when she is wearing it. It is different, though.

Michael Dorn: That is the problem. There is nothing of her, at all…Nothing. Just her eyeballs. That’s it.

and Marina Sirtis Explains Why She Doesn’t Watch ‘Discovery’

Sirtis talks Discovery and how Star Trek should return to morality tales
Marina Sirtis, Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Deanna Troi, was on the same panel, and after the discussion about Klingon designs, she explained why she can’t really weigh in on the topic:

I have never watched it…I am going to explain why I don’t watch Discovery, before they all hate me. We were on the best Star Trek show. If CBS thinks I am going to pay to watch Star Trek, they are demented. I will wait until I go to England and watch it on Netflix, which I pay for anyway.

Although she hasn’t seen the show, Sirtis sparked speculation on when she visited the set while Jonathan Frakes was shooting the second episode of the second season of Discovery in May. The actress got the crowd laughing when she spoke briefly about why she can’t talk about her visit:

When I went to visit Jonathan [Frakes] on the set of Discovery, I had to sign an NDA…I swear to god, we have to sign – Gates, don’t we have to sign so many NDAs, we feel like one of Trump’s mistresses.

honestly Marina sounds just a bit big-headed here but then again she has sounded like that for years when talking about any Star Trek other than TNG

here is a snippet of what she said

I actually think that Star Trek got it right in our show and in the original show because the shows were about something. They weren’t just entertainment…They were little morality plays and that is what Star Trek lost after we were done. And it ought to go back to that.

Original Article
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/21/michael-dorn-talks-star-trek...

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I love Marina Sirtis, specifically because she doesn't give two shi... eilds up, red alert, etc. etc. and I know she didn't like DS9 (she calls it "Deep Sleep Nine") but I think, in general, her comment is about post-Berman Trek rather than only TNG. Of course she's gonna be protective of her corner of the franchise, especially since everything beyond Enterprise getting cancelled has been "must have a Spock, ignore everything else"... well, until recently, of course.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger wrote:

especially since everything beyond Enterprise getting cancelled has been "must have a Spock, ignore everything else"... well, until recently, of course.

thing is even then they still have to tie into Spock, season 1 being about Burnham and her connection to Spock and season 2 with them searching for Spock (......now where have i heard that before?)
Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I was referring to the Picard series but thanks, because you just proved my point about Discovery! I so very wish it had nothing to do with the Enterprise, Spock or the 22nd Century.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah they could have just left the TOS era stuff out of it, instead of Captain Pike it should have been Captain April, that would have tied into the Trek lore but still given us something new

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I met her! Picture on the recreated D bridge - she's so tiny!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

Also, killer weekend of eye/head pain. I may catch up, may not.

Also, @RogerRoger this is very you!
Untitled

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo Agreed, or not featured the Enterprise at all, perhaps? Because suddenly the USS Discovery isn't the focus of its own show. That's always the risk and why it was so rare to cross-populate the Berman-Era shows with each other's famous ships (and when they did, it was a one-off nod or for some special purpose). It's why you never see the Enterprise-E in any of the Voyager episodes featuring Deanna Troi, or why there were no Intrepid-Class starships taking part in the Dominion War (save the USS Bellerophon, which was just to cheap out on pinching Voyager's sets). Steals the thunder.

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, I'm sorry to hear your weekend was rough. I could kinda tell something was up and guessed it was your eye. Hope you're feeling better?

I've met a decent handful of celebrities but, alas, none from Trek. It's on the bucket list!

Also, @ the sportswear logo!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger thing is just imagine how much grief they would have saved themselves if instead of the Enterprise and Captain Pike rocking up it was the Constitution and Captain April

i could see the design they used for the Enterprise as a prototype for the class

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'd totally buy that, sure. The USS Constitution NX-1700. That would've been absolutely a-okay with me, as would Robert April.

Sticking the Enterprise and Spock in everything just feels like they reckon audiences are stupid.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger or they are too afraid to take risks and fell like they have to connect it to a show it didn't need to be connected too

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I'm good, thank you.

Just had a rather protracted fitting appointment Friday morning. Spent the weekend mostly hermitting and trying to avoid an accidental OD on ibuprofen lysine!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo It's probably your one, yeah.

@KALofKRYPTON Glad you're feeling better. I'm sure we've all had weekends like that, for various reasons, so you have my sympathy.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i remember when i lost the sight in my eye due to an accident i was on pain killers for ages and it was NOT a very pleasant experience, it was swollen like hell and it made it very hard to sleep

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo

Thanks both.

I managed to stave off a full on migraine, which post-fitting is always a bit of a win... of sorts.

Incidentally, I was thinking of starting a thread on our most coveted things; gratuitous display of material want and excess sort of thing

Thoughts?

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it could be a good one as long as there isn't already a similar thread

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON You went and made it so anyway, but I'll give it some thought before posting!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

James McAvoy Offers To Play Flashback Picard In New Star Trek Series

Untitled

Yesterday, Sir Patrick Stewart shared the first image of himself in the writers’ room for the unnamed new Star Trek about Jean-Luc Picard, and it got quite a reaction. Not only did Stewart fire up social media, but it was covered around the world in the mainstream press and a few Hollywood professionals took note, including one actor who has played a Patrick Stewart role before.

McAvoy is ready to fill Stewart’s shoes again
The writers’ room for the new Picard show has been up and running for weeks, and we have been covering the briefings and teases that have already been shared. But it took Sir Patrick Stewart himself to really light up the world when he posted a shot of himself along with writers and executive producers of the show on social media. The tweet has over 73,000 likes and 1,800 comments in just over a day with the Instagram post getting over 84,000 likes and over 14,000 comments.

One of the people commenting was actor James McAvoy, who played young Charles Xavier in three X-Men movies, a role originated by Sir Patrick Stewart on the big screen. The actor even shaved his head to match Stewart’s pate. And it looks like he is willing to do it again, as he responded to Stewart’s Instagram post with the question “Need a flashback guy?????” adding “Just saying … I’ve got previous experience and will work for autographs.”

Untitled

Based on what Stewart has said and hints from executive producer Michael Chabon, the new Picard show will be set in the year 2399, or 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. McAvoy is currently 39 years old, or about 10 years younger than Stewart was when he originated the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

While McAvoy’s comment is somewhat in jest, it is not unreasonable to think that this new series will cover events in the life of Picard and the Federation before 2399 and possibly before his time on board the USS Enterprise-D. TNG provided a good amount of information on Picard’s backstory, including his family and upbringing in France, his time at the Academy and some of his Starfleet postings.

Younger versions of Picard have been portrayed by three other actors: David Tristan Birkin played Picard at age 12 (“Rascals,” plus he played Picard’s nephew René in “Family”), Marcus Nash portrayed Ensign Jean-Luc Picard (“Tapestry”), and Tom Hardy played his young clone and was shown as a photo of Picard from the Academy (Star Trek: Nemesis). Of course, Stewart also played his younger self in “Tapestry,” through the magic of Q.

Untitled

More are ready to for Picard show
McAvoy isn’t the only one inspired by Stewart’s writers’ room reveal. Amy Berg, a writer and executive producer on sci-fi shows including Eureka, 4400 and Counterpart, responded to Stewart’s tweet with “The thing this room is missing is me.” Phil Plait, the astronomer and popular blogger, also chimed in, suggesting the show could use a science advisor.

Someone who could very well end up working with Stewart on the show is his Star Trek: The Next Generation co-star Jonathan Frakes. The former Riker actor directed Stewart in a number of episodes and two feature films, and he has already directed three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery, so he is clearly in the orbit of Alex Kurtzman and the other executive producers. It’s notable that Frakes was the only TNG co-star to respond to Stewart’s tweet. His message was a simple “Engage…”

Untitled

personally i would be OK with it IF they chose to do something in Picard's past

[strong]Original Atricle[/stromg] https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/25/james-mcavoy-offers-to-play-...

RogerRoger

Speaking of the new Picard show, it might be one of the reasons behind this news.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/09/28/tv-network-shuts-down-ambi...

I'm always torn when things like this happen. On the one hand, I'd seen videos of this fan game in action and was beyond jealous of those with a powerful-enough PC to play it. I'd adore something like it and spend HOURS just wandering about, and have nothing but respect for the fans with the talent to go beyond "gee, I wish this thing existed" and make it so.

On the other, it's Star Trek. You don't own it. It's a billion-dollar franchise. Of course you're gonna get shut down sooner or later. Don't push your luck.

Fan art and fan fiction is one thing (the latter of which I've written quite a fair chunk of in my time, and posted online in the full knowledge that some lawyer somewhere could come along at any minute and tell me to delete the lot) but this was on a whole other level.

Making It So Since 1987

CountFunkula78

Hello friends, I've got psvr with bridge crew arriving tomorrow, anyone playing it and want to show me some pointers or need one more for their crew?

CountFunkula78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic