Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz

Posts 721 to 740 of 747

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Sorry for being so late to the game this weekend (he says, knowing full well we're deep inside Monday afternoon and so the "weekend" ended long ago).

Here's my best shot.

Retro Round

Q1. I'm gonna guess Ralf Jones appears in King of Fighters and, er... yep, I don't know any more SNK games, that's all I got!

Q2. The last in the Strike Series was Final Future Desert Forest Urban Sea Storm Strike: Nuclear Edition (why yes, that is a total guess).

Q3. This isn't Blast Processing you're talking about, is it? The thing where everything in the 90s had to have a cool name, so SEGA just said that the MegaDrive had "Blast Processing" even though it wasn't even a thing?

Q4. I know this one! Thank you, near-religious childhood reading of the old Official PlayStation Magazines! All those names are variants of Three Lions.

Q5.
Master System: Duck Hunt.
ZX Spectrum: Duck Hunt 2: Duck Harder.
NES: Goomba Hunt.
MegaDrive / MegaCD / 32X: Dr. Eggman's Buzzbomber Hunt.
SNES: Super Goomba Hunt.
PlayStation: Time Crisis (no, seriously, that's an actual answer)!
Saturn: NiGHTS: DuCKS into Hunts.

Q6.
Master System: The Official Duck Hunt Gun.
ZX Spectrum: The Unofficial Third-Party "Hunt for Ducks" Gun.
NES: The Family-Friendly Light-Projecting Trigger Mechanism.
MegaDrive / MegaCD / 32X: Duck Hunt Gun 3000 Xtreme!
SNES: The Super Family-Friendly Light-Projecting Trigger Mechanism.
PlayStation: The G-Con / GunCon.
Saturn: Never had one; poor console died before it could.

Handheld Round

Q1.
Lynx: The Lynx Cable (snigger).
GameBoy: Game Link Cable.
Game Gear: Gear 2 Gear Cable.

Q2.
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 on GameBoy Advance had a special multiplayer mode where you and a friend could fine-tune a perfect replica of a rally car's engine. Legend tells of a super-secret "Grease Monkey" cheat screen if you successfully complete the mode but, since the inner workings of an internal combustion engine are widely known to be the MOST BORING THING OF ALL TIME, nobody ever lasted more than five minutes. A cartridge with the cheat screen apparently unlocked can now fetch upwards of £1.50 on eBay, because everybody knows the claim is a dirty lie.
Hannan Montana: Rock Out the Show on PlayStation Portable is special because everybody who's ever played it has gone insane after seeing the title screen and realising that they've indirectly given money to Hannah Montana, a well-known travesty against human progress. Some theorise that this insanity is induced by a special subliminal message encoded in the game, but none have made it beyond the title screen to investigate. There are no copies to be found on eBay, because an American PMC has purchased them all in an effort to weaponise them in time for the forthcoming invasion of Canad... er, whoops, I should probably stop typing now.

Q3. You could play Red Faction, SonicN (a dodgy port of Sonic Advance) and, oh... probably a version of Snake on the Nokia N-Gage. No, I didn't have one.

Q4. I don't know any of the games for certain (bye-bye bonus points) but I do know that the Neo Geo Pocket Colour could link with the SEGA Dreamcast.

Q5.
Soul Sacrifice: some kind of grey.
Dragon Quest Builders: Eggshell Blue.
Persona 4: Dancing All Night: I think that was the yellow one.
Minecraft: Green. Or brown. Or green and brown.
Gundam Breaker: RAINBOW!!

Q6. Er... Learn to Tell Time with Sesame Street's Elmo (seriously, what other use is there for a watch? Let things be the things they're supposed to be, darn it)!

Gen. 6 Speed Round

Q1. Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing (I know it isn't, but I don't know what it is).

Q2. That'd be Quantum Redshift (and if Junkie XL hadn't collaborated with Hans Zimmer on the score to Batman V Superman, I wouldn't have had a freakin' clue).

Q3. I'm guessing that the PlayStation2's pressure-sensitive buttons allowing for some kind of edge, perhaps? Either that, or it's gonna be a car shaped like Crash Bandicoot.

Q4. Well, the obvious answer would be Mario Kart: Super Circuit, the GameBoy Advance's obligatory contribution to that eternal franchise, but I don't know for sure.

Q5. Um... eight?

Q6. Knowing you (and since I only know of two PlayStation Portable games ported to the PlayStation2, neither of which are racing games), I'll shoot with WipEout, er... something. Yes, that'll do. WipEout: Something.

Holy cow, that was one heck of a quiz!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Nothing better than making believe that the weekend is still going...

I'm pretty sure there will be a fair few exclamations of 'of course!' once I put the answers up!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Gremio108

I've been meaning to get to this all weekend, but now I've got a spare hour or so to really **** this up. Here we go!

-RETRO ROUND-

1) If it's educated guesses you're after, I'll go with The King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown.

2) I'm going to say Urban Strike, even though I know there was another a few years later. But you've got to say something, right?

3) Argh, it was something like Mode-1...

4) If it's 1998 I'll guess Winning Eleven.

5) Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog
ZX Spectrum: Paperboy's Bad Day
NES: Duck Hunt
Mega CD: Night Trap
SNES: Super Kray Twins
Playstation: Time Crisis
Saturn: Virtua Cop

6) Master Syster: Master Blaster
ZX Spectrum: ZX Grenade Launcher
NES: Nintendo Extendable Shotgun
Mega Drive: The Sonic Boom
SNES: Super Nintendo Extendable Shotgun
PS: Namco Blunderbuss
Saturn: Sega Life-size Tank Peripheral

-HANDHELD ROUND-

1) Lynx: Linx-up
Gameboy: Links Awakening
Game Gear: Link 182

2) Colin McRae 2.0 and Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show both feature the ability to crash a Peugeot 206 WRC at speeds in excess of 100mph.

3) Can I name three N-Gage games? Er, Road Rash, King of Fighters (again) and Angela Lansbury's Murder She Wrote RPG.

4) God knows. The SNES? Kirby's Dreamland, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Pop 'n' Twinbee, I'm going to stop because all I'm doing is naming SNES games from my youth.

5) Erm..........

• Soul Sacrifice: Yellow (in tribute to 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', a song by Elton John, who also sang 'Sacrifice', which featured on the Soul Sacrifice soundtrack)
  • Dragon Quest Builders: Cement Grey (an essential material for any self-respecting builder)
  • Persona 4: Dancing All Night: Black (like the night in which we are dancing all of)
  • Minecraft: Green (like a creeper)
  • Gundam Breaker: Red (my mate brought a Gundam figure back from Hong Kong once, when we were little. It was red, and it was the coolest thing ever. Whenever I hear the name Gundam I still think of that figure)

6) There had to be a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles one. Can you believe they wouldn't let us hear the word 'ninja'?

-SPEED ROUND-

1) This is ringing bells, but no. Struggling to formulate even a stupid guess.

2) Project Gotham Racing?

3) Speed cameras

4) If you linked Mario Kart Double Dash to the Gameboy Advance, it enabled you to run over all your favourite Pokemon characters in Pokemon Sunshine Yellow/Raincloud Grey

5) Sixteen?

6) I'd guess a Wipeout game, but I don't know which. Fusion?

Phew, that quiz was an absolute beast, well done. I've got no idea how I did, but I'm not preparing an acceptance speech, put it that way.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

This is highly unorthodox, but I've just remembered Soviet Strike! Do I still get a point for this? To be honest I'll just be happy if it's right

themcnoisy

@MadAussieBloke You could. But what's the point in that? I don't think anyone uses Google for answers as the quiz have been so long and the kudos for winning is probably less than if you write a funny answer.

Last week was the first quiz I have won on here and it felt pretty good to know most of the answers. Years of playing games and trawling magazines well spent. The questions were written in a way so I don't think you could Google them. Maybe why I actually won lol.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@Gremio108
Thanks for your entry! 😂

And in answer to your follow up post... Well, we'll see 😁

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@RogerRoger 😂 Your Hannah Montana answer has me laughing so hard I almost wet myself!
@Gremio108 Glad to see Angela Lansbury’s Murder She Wrote made an appearance. 😄

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON I'll be doing the quiz on my way back home from work. Uh. I had quite a busy weekend and start of the week!

Love the questions, though.

Kidfried

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried no worries.

Few hours left yet.

KALofKRYPTON

Right then, answers time!
As I said earlier - I’m going to be a bit lenient with the accepted answers for this one - so if you’ve almost got there, the point is yours!

-RESULTS-

themcnoisy
After a respectful Retro Round - you have 11 points!
The Handheld Round nets you a whopping 3 points!
A tough Gen 6 Speed Round round, just the 1 point.
So, @themcnoisy ends the quiz with 15 points and is this week's winner!

RogerRoger
After the Retro Round, just the 3 points
A stronger Handheld Round gets the 6
And a rather unfortuante Gen. 6 Speed Round you have 2 points
So, @RogerRoger ends the quiz with 11 points!

Gremio108
The Retro Round grants a worthy 4 points.
Rather badly mis-Handheld Round there bud, 0 points
But, a slightly redeeming Gen 6 Speed Round nets you 2 points!

So, @Gremio108 ends the quiz with 6 points!

Th3solution
After a stunning (see what I did there?!) Retro Round, 1 point.
Difficult Handheld Round, but 2 points - and yes, there is a Mickey mouse Tiger Game watch!
Painful Gen 6 Speed Round round there pal.. 0 points.
So, @Th3solution ends the quiz with 3 points!

-ANSWERS-

-RETRO ROUND-

Q1.
Ralf Jones is Colonel of the Ikari Mercenaries Squad featured in several entries in the Metal Slug series. Can you name the 2 other popular SNK game series that he appears in?
A1. Ikari Warriors
A2. The King of Fighters

Q2.
The Strike Series encompassed a series of helicopter based shooter games over a variety of platforms. The series began with the much loved Desert Strike, can you name the final (not emulated) console release in the Strike Series to date?
A. Nuclear Strike 64

Q3.
In the power struggle of the 16 bit era, Nintendo released a number of games that featured co-processors on their cartridges. One of these co-processors was known as the Super FX chip. Starting with Star Fox/Starwing – only 8 games were released with the Super FX/Super FX II chip on board.
Not to be outdone, Sega released the rather amazing Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive/Genesis which featured their own co-processor design.
What was the name of Sega’s co-processor chip used in Virtua Racing (I will accept the acronym)?
A. Sega Virtua Processor (SVP)

Q4.
Alexi Lalas International Soccer (U.S.), Golden Goal 98, Bomba:98, Mundial:98 and Pro Foot Contest 98 are all regional variations of which official English Football Association PlayStation game?
A. Three Lions

Q5.
Name a lightgun (compatible) game for each of these systems:
Master System
ZX Spectrum
NES
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X
SNES
PlayStation
Saturn
Points for themcnoisy (5! Nes - Duck Hunt, Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X - Terminator 2, Snes - The six games you got in the pack in, PlayStation - Die Hard, Saturn - The House of the dead ) - Th3solution (1! NES - Duck Hunt) - RogerRoger (1! PlayStation: Time Crisis) - Gremio108 (3! NES - Duck Hunt, PlayStation - Time Crisis, Saturn - Virtua Cop)
Q6.
While we’re at it – name the/a lightgun peripheral(s) for each of these systems (regional variations accepted, third party ones accepted for systems where they were released, but you’ll have to be specific and it’ll need to be discoverable on the interwebs!). Extra points for multiple guns where noted!
Master System (1 point)
Light Phaser
ZX Spectrum (1 point)
Magnum
NES (1 point)
Zapper
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X (2 points)
Menacer (+Konami Justifier)
SNES (2 points)
Super Scope (+Konami Justifier)
PlayStation (2 points)
G-con 45/Guncon (+Konami Justifier + multiple third party guns)
Saturn (2 points)
Virtua Gun/Stunner (+Konami Justifier + multiple third party guns)

-HANDHELD ROUND-

Q1.
Prior to the days of wireless interlinking radio witchcraft, handheld gamers aspiring for multiplayer action had to rely on cables to connect their systems together. Can you name the (official) such cables for the following systems:
Lynx
Gameboy
Game Gear
A1. Comlynx Cable
A2. Game Link cable
A3. Gear-to-Gear Cable

Q2.
Staying with the handheld multiplayer theme. Other than the fact that they are multiplayer games, what special feature do the following games have in common?
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Gameboy Advance)
Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show (PSP)
Game sharing feature (one Gamepak/UMD could download a portion of the game to the RAM of a connected system(s) to allow multiplayer games)

Q3.
Ignoring the beautiful majesty that was the PSP and the extreme ‘alrightness’ of the GBA – let us turn to mobile & handheld’s unfortunate offspring, the N-Gage! (Believe it or not, there was at least 1 good game for it – I played it and everything!)
Can you name 3 N-Gage games?
A.
themcnoisy, points for Worms, FIFA.
Th3solution, nil points
RogerRoger, points for Red Faction, SonicN & Snakes
Gremio108, point for King of Fighters

Q4.
On to greener pastures now…
The delightful Neo Geo Pocket Colour was a pretty rare sight on these shores (UK)., but like several other handhelds, the system offered the opportunity to connect to a home console.
What console was the NGPC able to connect to make use of additional features?
Bonus points (1 per game, 9 games in total) if you can name the home and corresponding handled games that used the feature.
A1. Dreamcast
A2.
King of Fighters R-2 (links with King of Fighters ’99 Dream Match and Evolution)
SNK vs Capcom – Match of the Millennium (links with Capcom vs SNK 2)
SNK vs Capcom – Card Fighter's Clash (links with King of Fighters Evolution)
SNK vs Capcom – Card Fighter's Clash Expand Edition (links with Capcom vs SNK 2)
Cool Cool Jam (links with Cool Cool Toon)

This was a ridiculous question, sorry!

Q5.
In some territories, getting a funky looking handheld is often only possible by applying some sort of aftermarket skin. Over in the land of the rising sun however; multiple colour variations and special/limited edition consoles are par for the course, and rather pretty some of them are too!
Can you name the base console colour for the following PlayStation Vita Special/Limited edition consoles?
Soul Sacrifice
A1. Red
Dragon Quest Builders
A2. Silver
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
A3. Freen/green/white
Minecraft
A4 White
Gundam Breaker
A5 White

Q6.
In my youth, in addition to the occasional kid with a Gameboy, the most popular electronic toys toted around the playground were handheld LCD games (Tiger Electronics ones mostly). They were relatively cheap, extremely common and lasted seemingly forever on a couple of batteries.
Tiger also made also made game watches - one of which, was Altered Beast!
Can you name another Tiger Electronics Game Watch?

Th3solution - Mickey Mouse is a Tiger Game Watch! 1 Point for that!
Mcnoisy - so close! WWF Superstars is a Tiger Game Watch!
RogerRoger - really should’ve just said Sonic
Gremio108 - No Turtles...

-GEN 6 SPEED ROUND-

Q1.
The wildly twisted childhood favourite film Return to Oz features a bunch of menacing characters referred to as the Wheelies - creepy villainous horrors with wheels in place of their feet and hands.
What PS2 futuristic racer’s cast of playable characters were similarly equipped?
A. Kinetica

Q2.
Possessing ridiculously polished graphics, steady framerate and benefitting from the pretty dull implementation of WipEout Fusion, which year one XBOX futuristic racer featured an accompanying soundtrack by Junkie XL?
Quantum Redshift

Q3.
While the powerhouse XBOX featured releases for both OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, both of which ran like butter - the ever so slightly inferior PlayStation 2 release of OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast boasted 1 unique feature that the XBOX simply couldn’t provide. What was it?
PSP to PS2 cross-save

Q4.
GameCube favourite Mario Kart: Double Dash was available as a special edition that shipped with an extra disc containing demos for other games. This extra disc could also provide additional content to which Gameboy Advance game when connected via a link cable?
Fire Emblem(!)

Q5.
Sticking with Mario Kart: Double Dash, how many simultaneous players could the game support?
16 (using the Broadband Adapter, you have right old LAN party!)

Q6.
Finally - in a rather surprising move (to me at least) - several PSP titles were ported to the ageing PS2 in the console's twilight years.
Which 2009 European-only port was the redemption of it's series' future racing legacy for the PlayStation 2?

WipEout Pulse (If you said WipEout at all, you got a point)

Gremio108

@KALofKRYPTON Absolute beast of a quiz. I'm happy with my 6 points, although Virtua Gun was massively guessable. When it comes to late Megadrive/Saturn, just stick a 'Virtua' onto the start of something and you're on to a winner

KALofKRYPTON

@Gremio108 😂😂 'Virtua' - it's just such a futuristic word!

themcnoisy

Woo hoo. I have read the answers and didn't have a clue about the ones I missed/got wrong.

I have never even heard of Kinetika and I used to love futuristic racing games. The menacer gun I havent heard of either was that used on a cowboy game by Konami? I only got T2 as it was played in a similar fashion to Operation wolf and you could use the normal pad.

Great quiz though bravo.

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy Me too regarding Kinetica, the first I heard of it was when it was released for PS4 a while ago. Santa Monica's first PlayStation game I think.

The Menacer was the Sega answer to the Super Scope. Bizarrely they managed to make it worse in pretty much every way and even the pack in 6 games were crap.

The Western you're thinking of is Lethal Enforcers 2, used Konami's Justifier revolver (Magnum .44) style gun. Which could also be used in Snatcher! And the PS1 version of the Justifier could be used in Silent Hill to pretty much break the game!

You could've had Operation Wolf for the Spectrum, Master System and NES game 😜

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON Operation wolf was one of my goto Arcade games back in the day. I live near an arcade which still runs today! (except not as good)

Th3solution

Whew! That was a hard earned 3 points. I can’t believe the Persona 4 DAN Vita wasn’t yellow! Preposterous!
Thanks again for all the hard work into putting out the quiz, @KALofKRYPTON
Feel free to nominate someone for next weekend.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'm amazed I even got second, so thanks!

Perhaps I should've stuck with Sonic for the gaming watch question, but I have a real pet peeve about technology just lumping two unrelated things together for the kicks / profit margins. My partner had a smartwatch for about a year, used it daily, and it drove me up the freakin' wall.

I took my moral stand, no regrets! It was worth the point to make my point!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Through the eyes of 9 year old me, the game watch was a positive revolution!

Though I have had and enjoyed having a smart watch, I'm glad I didn't replace it with another when the battery dropped off. G-Shock for life!

Also, I am quite amused at the prevalence of activity trackers - it's like everyone's their own Tamagotchi, desperately trying to keep themselves alive!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

Also - anyone fancy doing the next quiz?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I killed my Tamagotchi in alarmingly short order. It's why I won't get an actual pet for myself, despite loving animals; I'd end up inadvertently sending it to an early grave, I'm sure.

Activity trackers are another thing that enrage me. Your body is your own activity tracker. Feeling lethargic? Do some exercise! Done some exercise and feeling worn out? Have a rest! I mean, my word, how did we ever survive the dark times before the dawn of the FitBit...?!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic