Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz

Posts 701 to 720 of 742

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Thank you. It was as if the quiz was written for me. I've played every game bar Brothers a tale of 2 sons.

What's really weird is when I used to organise the Rocket League tournaments. Stephen (Quintumply) told me about Brothers and advised me to play it one time, I was like sounds great, who are the Brothers (expecting a joke return like The Jonas Brothers for example) and he said Knee and Nay. I obviously burst out laughing and went on about the names for the next ten minutes.

A second point which is equally odd. I'm adament on my version of P4G that Chie was named Chia. I don't know when or why that has happened to my memory of the game.

Third point. Final Fantasy X is not my favourite FF ever invented. I would place 7, 8 and 15 ahead for multiple reasons. But it is my favourite story and conclusion to maybe any game or film. The twist to the game is you are led to believe that it's a tale of Time travel and Tidus due to the initial attack by Sin on Zanarkand and has gone x amount of years into the future. That's not actually the case. If you haven't finished the game please read a synopsis of what happens its such a brilliant concept and idea.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

I'll have another go.

Possibly not quite the 'maximum effort' of my last one though 😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@themcnoisy A well earned victory. We must be of a similar mind on games we’ve played and enjoyed (well, except for Detroit Become Human, apparently. Which I would recommend for sure. The abusive father segment shown in the trailers, although somewhat disturbing, seemed adequately handled in the context of the game and was a fairly brief encounter. It presents the father’s actions and attitude in a very antagonistic and unacceptable light, does not glorify it in any way, and gives you the options to respond accordingly. I’m typically sensitive to such things too and it didnt strikes me as gratuitous or inappropriately used, but I digress...). But yeah, the Brothers parents must have not been thinking clearly to name their sons Naiee and Naia. How would they ever keep them straight?! 😂
As for FFX - it has been a while since I played it and I remember the gameplay quite a bit. I spent way too much time playing blitzball, so I must have glazed over the actual plot twists. I sometimes have a hard time following storylines of JRPGs due to the wandering nature of the plot sometimes.

@KALofKRYPTON Awesome! I look forward to it. I will be traveling a little this upcoming weekend, but I will definitely drop in for the quiz!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mookysam

@Th3solution Liza v Godzilla is a thrill ride for sure. Almost as good as Celine v Mothra. Play them!

@themcnoisy Final Fantasy X has such a great story. The bit where they find out their pilgrimage and the entire foundation of society is a lie is excellent.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Awesome quiz, thanks again!

We should start a petition for that dark, story-driven Katamari game now.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

The quiz is ready!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON

I know we've been playing fast and loose with the definition of "weekend" lately, but don't you think that's stretching it a bit?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It's pretty much 'hump day'!

I'll hold back... then probably change my mind on the questions anyway!

KALofKRYPTON

Right then, quiz time.
This week's quiz is open until midday Tuesday (19/03/19) to give everyone a chance to have a go.
Tried to make this one a little more guesswork friendly, though it probably will be a little easier on those of you of a certain vintage, or those with some pretty arcane knowledge! 😂

KALofKRYPTON 2nd Quiz Questions, 1 point per answer.

-RETRO ROUND-

Q1.
Ralf Jones is Colonel of the Ikari Mercenaries Squad featured in several entries in the Metal Slug series. Can you name the 2 other popular SNK game series that he appears in?

Q2.
The Strike Series encompassed a series of helicopter based shooter games over a variety of platforms. The series began with the much loved Desert Strike, can you name the final (not emulated) console release in the Strike Series to date?

Q3.
In the power struggle of the 16 bit era, Nintendo released a number of games that featured co-processors on their cartridges. One of these co-processors was known as the Super FX chip. Starting with Star Fox/Starwing – only 8 games were released with the Super FX/Super FX II chip on board.
Not to be outdone, Sega released the rather amazing Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive/Genesis which featured their own co-processor design.
What was the name of Sega’s co-processor chip used in Virtua Racing (I will accept the acronym)?

Q4.
Alexi Lalas International Soccer (U.S.), Golden Goal 98, Bomba:98, Mundial:98 and Pro Foot Contest 98 are all regional variations of which official English Football Association PlayStation game?

Q5.
Name a lightgun (compatible) game for each of these systems:
Master System
ZX Spectrum
NES
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X
SNES
PlayStation
Saturn

Q6.
While we’re at it – name the/a lightgun peripheral(s) for each of these systems (regional variations accepted, third party ones accepted for systems where they were released, but you’ll have to be specific and it’ll need to be discoverable on the interwebs! - Also, where there is a first party release, that has to be one of your answers). Extra points for multiple guns where noted!
Master System (1 point)

ZX Spectrum (1 point)

NES (1 point)

Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X (2 points)

SNES (2 points)

PlayStation (2 points)

Saturn (2 points)

-HANDHELD ROUND-

Q1.
Prior to the days of wireless interlinking radio witchcraft, handheld gamers aspiring for multiplayer action had to rely on cables to connect their systems together. Can you name the (official) such cables for the following systems:
Lynx
Gameboy
Game Gear

Q2.
Staying with the handheld multiplayer theme. Other than the fact that they are multiplayer games, what special feature do the following games have in common?
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Gameboy Advance)
Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show (PSP)

Q3.
Ignoring the beautiful majesty that was the PSP and the extreme ‘alrightness’ of the GBA – let us turn to mobile & handheld’s unfortunate offspring, the N-Gage! (Believe it or not, there was at least 1 good game for it – I played it and everything!)
Can you name 3 N-Gage games?

Q4.
On to greener pastures now…
The delightful Neo Geo Pocket Colour was a pretty rare sight on these shores (UK), but like several other handhelds, the system offered the opportunity to connect to a home console.
What console was the NGPC able to connect to and make use of additional features?
Bonus points (1 per game, 9 games in total) if you can name the home and corresponding handled games that used the feature.

Q5.
In some territories, getting a funky looking handheld is often only possible by applying some sort of aftermarket skin. Over in the land of the rising sun however; multiple colour variations and special/limited edition consoles are par for the course, and rather pretty some of them are too!
Can you name the base console colour(s) for the following PlayStation Vita Special/Limited edition consoles?

Soul Sacrifice

Dragon Quest Builders

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Minecraft

Gundam Breaker

Q6.
In my youth, in addition to the occasional kid with a Gameboy (and me as the Game Gear Master Race), the most popular electronic toys toted around the playground were handheld LCD games (Tiger Electronics ones mostly). They were relatively cheap, extremely common and lasted seemingly forever on a couple of batteries.
Tiger also made also made game watches - one of which, was Altered Beast!
Can you name another Tiger Electronics Game Watch?

-GEN 6 SPEED ROUND-

Q1.
The wildly twisted childhood favourite film Return to Oz features a bunch of menacing characters referred to as the Wheelies - creepy villainous horrors with wheels in place of their feet and hands.
What PS2 futuristic racer’s cast of playable characters were similarly equipped?

Q2.
Possessing ridiculously polished graphics, steady framerate and benefitting from the pretty dull implementation of the rival PS2's WipEout Fusion, which year one XBOX futuristic racer featured an accompanying soundtrack by Junkie XL?

Q3.
While the powerhouse XBOX featured releases for both OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, both of which ran like butter - the ever so slightly inferior PlayStation 2 release of OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast boasted 1 unique feature that the XBOX simply couldn’t provide. What was it?

Q4.
GameCube favourite Mario Kart: Double Dash was available as a special edition that shipped with an extra disc containing demos for other games. This extra disc could also provide additional content to which Gameboy Advance game when connected via a link cable?

Q5.
Sticking with Mario Kart: Double Dash, how many simultaneous players could the game support?

Q6.
Finally - in a rather surprising move (to me at least) - several PSP titles were ported to the ageing PS2 in the console's twilight years.
Which 2009 European-only port was the redemption of it's series' future racing legacy for the PlayStation 2?

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON crazy complex and tough quiz. Great work.

Q5 on the speed round is missing though.

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy It was just too fast... =O

Thanks for the heads up!

themcnoisy

RETRO ROUND-
Q1.
Ralf Jones is Colonel of the Ikari Mercenaries Squad featured in several entries in the Metal Slug series. Can you name the 2 other popular SNK game series that he appears in?

Ikari Warriors, Golf.

Q2.
The Strike Series encompassed a series of helicopter based shooter games over a variety of platforms. The series began with the much loved Desert Strike, can you name the final (not emulated) console release in the Strike Series to date?

Urban Strike

Q3.
In the power struggle of the 16 bit era, Nintendo released a number of games that featured co-processors on their cartridges. One of these co-processors was known as the Super FX chip. Starting with Star Fox/Starwing – only 8 games were released with the Super FX/Super FX II chip on board.
Not to be outdone, Sega released the rather amazing Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive/Genesis which featured their own co-processor design.
What was the name of Sega’s co-processor chip used in Virtua Racing (I will accept the acronym)?

Sega Virtua Processor - suffice Virtua being used in front of Fighter, Soccer, Tennis etc.

Q4.
Alexi Lalas International Soccer (U.S.), Golden Goal 98, Bomba:98, Mundial:98 and Pro Foot Contest 98 are all regional variations of which official English Football Association PlayStation game?

Virtua Soccer

Q5.
Name a lightgun (compatible) game for each of these systems:
Master System -?
ZX Spectrum -?
Nes - Duck Hunt
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X - Terminator 2
Snes - The six games you got in the pack in
PlayStation - Die Hard
Saturn - The House of the dead

Q6.
While we’re at it – name the/a lightgun peripheral(s) for each of these systems (regional variations accepted, third party ones accepted for systems where they were released, but you’ll have to be specific and it’ll need to be discoverable on the interwebs! - Also, where there is a first party release, that has to be one of your answers). Extra points for multiple guns where noted!
Master System (1 point)?

ZX Spectrum (1 point)?

NES (1 point) Zapper

Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X (2 points)?

SNES (2 points) Super Scope

PlayStation (2 points) G-Con

Saturn (2 points) Virtua Gun

-HANDHELD ROUND-
Q1.
Prior to the days of wireless interlinking radio witchcraft, handheld gamers aspiring for multiplayer action had to rely on cables to connect their systems together. Can you name the (official) such cables for the following systems:
Lynx -? But it best be called the lynxs cable
Gameboy - the link cable
Game Gear - the gear link

Q2.
Staying with the handheld multiplayer theme. Other than the fact that they are multiplayer games, what special feature do the following games have in common?
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Gameboy Advance)
Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show (PSP)

You can play them on a standard console somehow.

Q3.
Ignoring the beautiful majesty that was the PSP and the extreme ‘alrightness’ of the GBA – let us turn to mobile & handheld’s unfortunate offspring, the N-Gage! (Believe it or not, there was at least 1 good game for it – I played it and everything!)
Can you name 3 N-Gage games?

Worms
Madden
Fifa

Q4.
On to greener pastures now…
The delightful Neo Geo Pocket Colour was a pretty rare sight on these shores (UK), but like several other handhelds, the system offered the opportunity to connect to a home console.
What console was the NGPC able to connect to and make use of additional features?
Bonus points (1 per game, 9 games in total) if you can name the home and corresponding handled games that used the feature.

PC Engine - King of fighters, Metal Slug, Golf, Ikari warriors, samurai showdown.

Q5.
In some territories, getting a funky looking handheld is often only possible by applying some sort of aftermarket skin. Over in the land of the rising sun however; multiple colour variations and special/limited edition consoles are par for the course, and rather pretty some of them are too!
Can you name the base console colour(s) for the following PlayStation Vita Special/Limited edition consoles?

Soul Sacrifice - red

Dragon Quest Builders - yellow

Persona 4: Dancing All Night - pink

Minecraft - green

Gundam Breaker - blue

Q6.
In my youth, in addition to the occasional kid with a Gameboy (and me as the Game Gear Master Race), the most popular electronic toys toted around the playground were handheld LCD games (Tiger Electronics ones mostly). They were relatively cheap, extremely common and lasted seemingly forever on a couple of batteries.
Tiger also made also made game watches - one of which, was Altered Beast!
Can you name another Tiger Electronics Game Watch?

Wrestlemania

-GEN 6 SPEED ROUND-
Q1.
The wildly twisted childhood favourite film Return to Oz features a bunch of menacing characters referred to as the Wheelies - creepy villainous horrors with wheels in place of their feet and hands.
What PS2 futuristic racer’s cast of playable characters were similarly equipped?

Nope

Q2.
Possessing ridiculously polished graphics, steady framerate and benefitting from the pretty dull implementation of the rival PS2's WipEout Fusion, which year one XBOX futuristic racer featured an accompanying soundtrack by Junkie XL?

Xtreme G

Q3.
While the powerhouse XBOX featured releases for both OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, both of which ran like butter - the ever so slightly inferior PlayStation 2 release of OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast boasted 1 unique feature that the XBOX simply couldn’t provide. What was it?

You could drive a Porche instead

Q4.
GameCube favourite Mario Kart: Double Dash was available as a special edition that shipped with an extra disc containing demos for other games. This extra disc could also provide additional content to which Gameboy Advance game when connected via a link cable?

Advance Wars

Q5.
Sticking with Mario Kart: Double Dash, how many simultaneous players could the game support?

Q6.
Finally - in a rather surprising move (to me at least) - several PSP titles were ported to the ageing PS2 in the console's twilight years.
Which 2009 European-only port was the redemption of it's series' future racing legacy for the PlayStation 2?

Wipeout (pure or pulse)

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy
First in!
Thanks for taking the time.

I think I'm going to have to be a little flexible in the scoring with this one!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Holy cow, that's a quiz and a half right there!

Will have to attempt later this evening / early tomorrow, but I'm gonna give it my best shot!

Thanks for posting!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON I’m coming back too to give it a shot as well. The questions are definitely well done but at the fringes of my gaming experience and knowledge. Maybe I’ll score one point, but I’ll try.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @Th3solution
Good good, remember, a few of these would be easily done with educated guesswork.
@MadAussieBloke you could do well with this one I think.

Th3solution

My apologies now for a dismal display of retro knowledge. I feel pretty good about the Colored Vita question, but otherwise, this is going to be pretty bad. 😆

RETRO ROUND-
Q1. SNK Heroes, and SNK Deadly Force

Q2. I’ll guess PS2

Q3. Maybe... CHIP? No idea.

Q4. PES and FIFA are the only football games I know, so I’ll go with PES

Q5.
Master System - No idea
ZX Spectrum - No idea
NES - Duck Hunt
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X - No idea
SNES - Duck Hunt
PlayStation - House of the Dead
Saturn - No idea

Q6.
Master System (1 point) - Shooty-shooty bang, bang
ZX Spectrum (1 point) -Pew-pew
NES (1 point) - Pow-pow
Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X (2 points) - Kerchow
SNES (2 points) - Blammo
PlayStation (2 points) - click-click, boom
Saturn (2 points) - I ran out of gun sounds

-HANDHELD ROUND-
Q1.
Lynx - Blue cable
Gameboy - Grey cable
Game Gear - Red cable

Q2. They both have Billy Ray Cyrus in the credits?

Q3. I have no idea, so l’ll go with 3 games found on pretty much all consoles — Tetris, Minecraft, and Skyrim 😜

Q4. NGPC must have been compatible with ... I’ll guess Saturn.

Q5.
Soul Sacrifice - Red
Dragon Quest Builders - Blue
Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Gotta be Yellow
Minecraft - Green
Gundam Breaker - Grey

Q6. A Mickey Mouse watch. I don’t know, that the best I can do.

-GEN 6 SPEED ROUND-
Q1. Roller Derby Girls Super Mega Edition

Q2. Junkie Racer 2000

Q3. Rumble support?

Q4. Super Mario Something-or-other

Q5. 6 Players

Q6. Mod Nation Racers

@KALofKRYPTON I’m impressed with the wealth of retro gaming knowledge you have in your brain, sir! I feel very humbled by this quiz. A very interesting variety of questions. Thank you!

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution thanks for your entry!

I can't take total credit. A lot of it was off the of my head, but I had to confirm a few things along the way and the bonus point games for the fourth question in the handheld round was just something I stumbled upon while verifying.

I'm sure I'll need Google if anyone else does the quiz to verify a few answers anyway 😀

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke I think most people play fair.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic