Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz

Posts 601 to 620 of 747

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy @mookysam Thanks for your answers, folks!

@KratosMD I've just realised that I got your tag wrong the other day, sorry about that; it was just a friendly heads-up that the quiz is available until tomorrow morning, if you fancy giving it a shot, but I also know that you're busy with the Forum GOTY at the moment so no worries if not.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KratosMD

@RogerRoger No worries, if I got the time for it I may give it a try!

Just a general heads-up though that I'm going to be very busy this week. Not only with the Forum GOTY but also because I have a job interview on Thursday in another city and I'll be leaving on Wednesday so the next couple of days are going to be really hectic for me. I've not had a job interview ever so I'm also going to need to study for possible questions, my possible answers and just reading about the company itself. It's going to be a rough week, so I apologise if I won't be active as much.

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Oh, blimey, focus on that. This quiz is so unimportant in comparison!

And the very best of luck to you; I'm sure you'll conduct yourself brilliantly. No matter the outcome, it's a great opportunity to learn a lot, about yourself and the whole process.

Remember that you've got a dozen folks on here who'd give you a glowing character reference, too!

Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

@RogerRoger sorry dude, this weekend was a bit crazy, we've got builders in and I had to get a bunch of stuff sorted out so they could carry on today.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 I recently had my bathroom torn out, so I sympathise. No need to apologise; it was just a friendly heads-up just in case.

Hope the builders haven't been too disruptive and that the work is going okay!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Okay, time for some answers!

CATEGORY: General Knowledge

1) You meet Lian Xing, Teresa Lipan, Lawrence Mujari and Dr. Elsa Weissinger during the course of the Syphon Filter series (and you even play as Lian and Lawrence, too).

2) The prototype PS3 controller was interchangeably nicknamed the "Boomerang" and the "Banana" by various outlets of the gaming press.

3) There were tons of games with a lead female character or characters released in 2017. Big names include Gravity Rush 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Metroid: Samus Returns and the campaign of Star Wars: Battlefront II. I've used Google to double-check any of the answers I wasn't certain of and awarded points accordingly.

I have granted half-points to everybody who answered with NieR: Automata, since you only play as a female for the first half of the game; similarly, I've given a half-point to anything with a custom character creator, because I reckon that's just cheeky!

Also, half a point for games which first released in 2016 but took a while to secure international ports, and for anybody who listed an episodic game which released episodes in 2017, but technically started in 2016.

I feel like I should've worded this question more accurately. Sorry!

CATEGORY: Multiple Choice

4) Daxter is transformed into an ottsel after he falls into a large vat of b) dark eco.

5) The only super-villain listed who didn't personally make an appearance in Batman: Arkham Knight is c) Basil Karlo, a.k.a. Clayface.

6) Thanks to everybody who gave this a shot, but the Joker's on you: all of the listed methods are possible ways of assassinating Silvio Caruso in Sapienza. Agent 47 can blast his escaping sea-plane out of the sky with an ancient cannon, swap out his golf ball for one rigged with a micro-explosive, score a headshot down the length of an observatory's telescope and pose as Mr. Caruso's therapist to smother him in session (and that's only about a quarter of what's possible).

CATEGORY: Eyes & Ears

7) The picture was of Maximo, hero of the PS2 games Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and Maximo Vs. Army of Zin. I know what his underwear looks like because my skills are poor and therefore I take a lot of damage; every strike Maximo receives will strip a layer of his armour, until he's left running around in his boxers.

8) The tracks you heard in the video were...

• Track One: the score to the final cutscene of Killzone 3 (PS3, composed by Joris de Man)
  • Track Two: loadout menu music from Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (PSone, composed by Bill Brown)
  • Track Three: the climactic revelation sequence from Virginia (PS4, composed by Lyndon Holland)
  • Track Four: Juno Eclipse's theme from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3, composed by Mark Griskey)

I've granted half-points for those who correctly guessed a Star Wars game for Track Four, because that final pre-credits crescendo is unmistakeable.

9) Here are the Badniks with their correct names:

Untitled

Special congratulatory mention to @themcnoisy for being the only player to correctly name all nine Badniks and score the full nine points! Eggman would be proud!

The bonus points for making me laugh have been awarded as one per separate funny answer, up to a maximum of three. There were many hilarious answers that made me wanna give out more, but these points were designed to act as a counterbalance to the Joker penalty, so I'm sorry that I couldn't award every funny answer given!

And that means that the scores on the doors are as follows...

@mookysam scored 14 points, then got -3 for answering the Joker and +3 for making me laugh. Your final total is therefore 14 Points.

@Kidfried scored 12 points and got no Joker penalty (very well done; the only player to identify the trap), then got +1 for making me laugh. Your final total is therefore 13 Points.

@themcnoisy scored 13.5 points, then got -3 for answering the Joker and +2 for making me laugh. Your final total is therefore 12.5 Points.

@Gremio108 scored 11 points, then got -3 for answering the Joker and +3 for making me laugh. Your final total is therefore 11 Points.

@Ralizah scored 9.5 points, then got -3 for answering the Joker and +2 for making me laugh, and I've given you an additional half-point because your answer about "Sam the dorky LARPer" stripping his clothing away when taking damage is basically accurate. Your final total is therefore 9 Points.

@Th3solution scored 6.5 points, then got -3 for answering the Joker and +2 for making me laugh, plus an extra bonus point for honesty when given the chance to re-submit an answer for the Badnik question. Your final total is therefore 6.5 Points.

All of this crazy number-juggling means that @mookysam is our new PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz champion! Congratulations!

Nobody scored a full point on the music question. I kinda expected this, as these were some of the leftover tracks I wanted to include the last time I created music questions, but felt were too obscure to give everybody a fair shake. Also, my inner Derren Brown wonders if calling the trick question "the Joker" was a little devious in a quiz featuring a Batman question. It's been interesting!

Thanks again to everybody who took part and enjoyed the quiz!

Next week, @Gremio108 promises to jingle all the way with the PushSquare Forums Christmas Quiz, so it's over to them and I ho-ho-hope to see you all there!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Fun quiz dude! That joker question was tricksy. Now knowing the Hitman has hilarious deaths like that I'm even more eager to play it!

Edited on by mookysam

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Great quiz! I didn't think about Syphon Filter. I actually didn't even know there were entries in that series past the PS1.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Great quiz! I'm ashamed I forgot about The Lost Legacy, as well as the others.

Y'all better be ready for some Christmas Quizzing next week, or as no-one is calling it, Quizmas

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

Very glad you all had fun!

@mookysam I'm convinced you'll have a blast with Hitman (and not just when you fire that ancient cannon in Sapienza). It's endlessly inventive and has a near-perfect learning curve, thanks to guided Mission Stories that show you the ropes and help you explore each level before letting loose (and will only take you to a couple of the methods I mentioned). Highly recommended.

@Ralizah You can kinda ignore Syphon Filter: Omega Strain on PS2 but, if you've still got a working PSP about your person, Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow are two excellent action games (Dark Mirror also got a PS2 release, which probably makes the controls a little easier).

@Gremio108 I'll call it Quizmas for you, if you'd like. "Quizmas".

Hmm... on second thoughts...

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

Oh come all ye faithful to this week's Push Square Forums Quiz - this week it's a Christmas Special! Grab a turkey sandwich and get your head around these ten festive questions.

1. Aya, a new recruit with the NYPD, is on a blind date at an opera on Christmas Eve. Sadly, this potentially romantic evening is ruined slightly when everyone in the audience spontaneously combusts. What game is this the opening to?

2. In which Telltale series does Santa appear, looking a little worse for wear and carrying a gun?

3. What was the name of the festive Saints Row IV DLC?

4. In the little-remembered SNES game 'Daze Before Christmas', Santa can turn into his evil twin by drinking a cup of coffee. What is the name of this devilish alter-ego?

5. The Game Boy version of Home Alone bore little resemblance to the film. Marv and Harry, the infamous Wet Bandits, were of course the final boss fight, but what were the other three bosses? A point for each.

6. In which game does the player face off against a battleaxe-wielding boss named 'Sadistic Claus' and his demonic elf minions?

7. In Secret of Mana, Santa Claus attempts to restore the belief of children the world over by using the Mana Seed of Fire to grow a nice festive Mana Christmas tree. Unfortunately, this plan backfires - what happens to poor old Father Christmas?

8. What was the subtitle of Capcom's PS2 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' game?

9. 'Christmas Nights' on the Sega Saturn was a bonus add-on game, a sort of early version of DLC. In Japan it was given away with console bundles, but how was it made available in the UK?

10. The Game Boy Advance title 'Santa Claus Saves The Earth' was famously rubbish. In it, Santa can damage enemies by violently swinging his sack around. He also has three other means of attack - for one point each, what are they?

There we have it. The answers, and indeed the winner, will be announced on Monday afternoon, UK time. The winner gets a mince pie*. I hereby nominate @ApostateMage for next week's quiz.

*not really

mookysam

1. Parasite Eve

2. Sam and Max

3. Saints Dreaming of a Fright Christmas

4. Max Powers

• The creepy man with the beard and shovel
  • The possessed boiler
  • Christmas carolers

6. Barbra Streisand: The Christmas Album Experience

Sadistic Claus is under Babs' thrall and is coming for you! The battle is set to the demonic tones of Streisand herself wailing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

The seed of fire instead causes Old St. Nick to combust, starting with his beard. All the toys are also set ablaze. The children can only watch in horror and are scarred for life. All that is left of poor Santa is a pile of ashes, which are then pissed on by Rudolph. The moral of the story? Don't misuse Mana seeds of fire, kids!

Oogie's Revenge

Was it given away with a Saturn magazine?

Ho-ho-ho-ing
Farting (Santa really needs to lay off the mince pies)
Throwing elves at enemies

Fun festive questions!

mookysam

Th3solution

I’ll just say, don’t expect much , but here goes:

1- Parasite Eve
2- Walking Dead
3- “Jingle or I’ll cap you, b**ch”
4- Coffee Head Kringle
5- Aftershave, A Cat, and Elf on the Shelf
6- Brutal Legend
7- Burst into flames while watering the seed
8- “Not Endorsed by Tim Burton”
9- Free with purchase of another game
10- Sends his Reindeer to attack, causes AOE damage with a large “Ho, Ho, Ho!” shout, Spews half eaten cookies and milk in a damaging projectile vomit.

That was a lot harder than it looks, but good fun! Thanks!

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 this is way hard. If one of my answers below is correct I will put the lottery on.

1) Resident evil 6
2) Back to the future
3) Gold, Frankenstein and Grrrrr.
4) Rudolph
5) Buzz, his uncle, woman with the pigeons
6) Battletoads
7) Sets his workshop on fire
8) Skeletor gets a new job
9) Sega network (they worked on this for the mega drive)
10) Jumping, snowballs and throwing presents

Hohoho Merry Christmas.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ApostateMage

Ta for the nomination @Gremio108, my boy. I'm feeling unusually bah humbug at the mo so I'm gonna pass on being next weekend's quizmaster. Soz.

ApostateMage

Gremio108

@ApostateMage That's absolutely fine. I think I'd be the same. In fact I think we'll struggle for a quizmaster next week, as I've just realised that next weekend is a mere three days before Christmas Day! If there are any takers though, let us know.

@themcnoisy I was worried it was a bit too difficult, but thanks for giving it a go. I got about halfway through doing it and realised it was b*****d-hard. I think it's because of the lack of Christmas games down the years, there are so few to go at!

@Th3solution Bonus point for being the first person to mention Elf on the Shelf

@mookysam Is it bad that answer no.7 made me laugh so much?

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 This is... not going to go well.

But that's half the fun, right? Let's do this; here are my best possible answers!

1) Sounds like the opening to Fireman Sam: Festive Firefighting Adventures, exclusive to the Nintendo DS (PEGI 3).

2) My semi-serious guess would be The Wolf Among Us, maybe?

3) Saints Row IV: Gift-Wrapped RPG Under the Tree, Wheeee!!

4) Santa's evil twin is called Satan Claws (man, that was a weak shot, sorry).

5) The other three boss fights in Home Alone included a giant mutant rat in the basement (because all games of that era had giant mutant rats in them), Macaulay Culkin's Ghost of Christmas Future (a drugged-up child actor wannabe rockstar who taunted Kevin with nightmarish visions of the fate that awaited him) and Donald Trump (who gave false directions to the door marked "sequel").

6) Er... Nintendogs?

7) Santa stands right over the spot where he plants the seed, and the sudden growth of a full-sized Christmas Tree catches him off-guard. After careful analysis, his doctor recommended waiting for the eighteen-foot tree to naturally whither and shrink with age before attempting removal by proctological surgery the following February, and so that year there was no angel or fairy atop the tree... well, unless you count... no, make your own jokes, I've gone far enough.

8) It was The Nightmare Before Christmas: Night Harder with a Vengeance to appeal to the older videogame market demographic[/i].

9) Ooh, one I think I know! Christmas NiGHTS was included free with a certain issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine, wasn't it?

10) Aside from swinging his (ahem) sack around, Santa could unleash the power of festive sprouts in the form of knock-out gas, command a feral Rudolph to "kill" and invite naughty kids to sit on his lap, which was the most powerful move in the game but had the unfortunate trade-off of getting Santa moved higher up the police's own, entirely more serious "naughty list" every time he used it; after three uses per level, he'd be chased by Daily Mail reporters and eventually thrown in prison.

I feel like I maybe scored one point. Awesome quiz, though! Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Gremio108 Yes. It clearly demonstrates a sadistic personality. But then I was the one who wrote it. 😂

mookysam

Gremio108

Thank you everyone who attempted this ridiculously tough Christmas Quiz. Here are the answers:

1. The exploding theatre-goers can be found at the start of the 1998 Playstation game Parasite Eve.

2. Santa appears in Sam and Max: Episode 201 - Ice Station Santa.

3. The Saints Row IV DLC is named 'How The Saints Saved Christmas'.

4. Santa Claus' evil alter-ego in Daze Before Christmas is called Anti-Claus.

5. The Game Boy version of Home Alone featured the following bosses: 1. A giant spider 2. A giant rat (because, as @RogerRoger points out, all games of that era had giant mutant rats in them) and 3. A giant ghost. @mookysam - the boiler was in fact a secret end-game boss in one of the versions! Sadly not on the Game Boy though. I think it was either the SNES or Megadrive version, possibly both.

6. The Sadistic Claus battle is from Dead Rising 4.

7. In Secret of Mana, the Mana Seed of Fire overwhelms Father Christmas and of course he transforms into the Frost Gigas boss.

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge was Capcom's PS2 offering.

9. Christmas NiGHTS was given away free with Sega Saturn Magazine, a real treat for all three of the people who were still buying it at that point.

10. In 'Santa Claus Saves The Earth', aside from that violent sack of his, Santa could also throw snowballs (@themcnoisy get that lottery ticket bought), shoot tomatoes (not sure what that one has to do with Christmas) and fire candy canes at enemies.

Whew! All of which means that we have a clear winner:

Our Christmas Star is @mookysam with 4 points! Congratulations!

The rest of the elves scored:

@RogerRoger - 1 and a half points (half a point for the Christmas Nights answer)
@Th3solution - 1 point
@themcnoisy - 1 point

Now, because it's Christmas, enjoy this ''highlights package'' of some of the funniest answers:

Q1. Aya, a new recruit with the NYPD, is on a blind date at an opera on Christmas Eve. Sadly, this potentially romantic evening is ruined slightly when everyone in the audience spontaneously combusts. What game is this the opening to?
A. Fireman Sam: Festive Firefighting Adventures.

Q2. In which Telltale series does Santa appear, looking a little worse for wear and carrying a gun?
A. Back to the Future (I'm picturing Doc Brown fallen on hard times)

Q3. What was the name of the festive Saints Row IV DLC?
A. “Jingle or I’ll cap you, b**ch”

Q4. In the little-remembered SNES game 'Daze Before Christmas', Santa can turn into his evil twin by drinking a cup of coffee. What is the name of this devilish alter-ego?
A. Rudolph (honourable mention - Satan Claws)

Q5. The Game Boy version of Home Alone bore little resemblance to the film. Marv and Harry, the infamous Wet Bandits, were of course the final boss fight, but what were the other three bosses? A point for each.
A. a) Macaulay Culkin's Ghost of Christmas Future (a drugged-up child actor wannabe rockstar who taunted Kevin with nightmarish visions of the fate that awaited him)
b) Aftershave
c) Christmas carolers
(Dishonourable mention - Donald Trump)

Q6. In which game does the player face off against a battleaxe-wielding boss named 'Sadistic Claus' and his demonic elf minions?
A. Nintendogs

Q7. In Secret of Mana, Santa Claus attempts to restore the belief of children the world over by using the Mana Seed of Fire to grow a nice festive Mana Christmas tree. Unfortunately, this plan backfires - what happens to poor old Father Christmas?
A. The seed of fire instead causes Old St. Nick to combust, starting with his beard. All the toys are also set ablaze. The children can only watch in horror and are scarred for life. All that is left of poor Santa is a pile of ashes, which are then pissed on by Rudolph. The moral of the story? Don't misuse Mana seeds of fire, kids!

Q8. What was the subtitle of Capcom's PS2 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' game?
A. Skeletor gets a new job*

Q9. 'Christmas Nights' on the Sega Saturn was a bonus add-on game, a sort of early version of DLC. In Japan it was given away with console bundles, but how was it made available in the UK?
A. Everyone had a pretty sensible guess at this one, to be fair!

Q10. The Game Boy Advance title 'Santa Claus Saves The Earth' was famously rubbish. In it, Santa can damage enemies by violently swinging his sack around. He also has three other means of attack - for one point each, what are they?
A. a) Spewing half eaten cookies and milk in a damaging projectile vomit.
b) throwing presents
c) inviting naughty kids to sit on his lap, which was the most powerful move in the game but had the unfortunate trade-off of getting Santa moved higher up the police's own, entirely more serious "naughty list" every time he used it; after three uses per level, he'd be chased by Daily Mail reporters and eventually thrown in prison.

Thanks again to everyone who had a go.

Merry Christmas!

*not endorsed by Tim Burton

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Ah, the brutality!

Thanks for my half-point. I realised far, far too late that I'd gotten my SEGA consoles mixed up. No idea why my brain went for Dreamcast over Saturn, but there we are (insert obvious gaming history joke about the Saturn being forgotten here).

Also, can't believe my giant mutant rat answer was actually true?! Whoever said licenced games were creatively bankrupt, eh?

Some truly awesome, hilarious answers in this quiz! Thanks again!

I guess that means we're pausing the quiz for Christmas?

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic