Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz

Posts 501 to 520 of 543

Gremio108

@Kidfried Ha! It is indeed 'cake'. I think I must have still been fantasising about putting that annoying chicken in the oven, due to @Tjuz 's answer. Don't worry, final scores are still correct, I marked it as 'cake'. Editing answers now............

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 ...well now, here I could type out an incredibly-eloquent paragraph demonstrating how the difference between "generic" and "genetic" is a mere half-centimetre slip of the index finger of my left hand, considering that R and T are positioned beside one another on my laptop's standard QWERTY keyboard, and therefore arguing that I shouldn't be penalised for an innocent typographical error.

But I won't, because I totally thought the answer was "generic".

So, not controversial in the slightest; well-deserved victory for our continuing Champion! I bow to their mastery of anagrams and gaming trivia.

And thanks for an awesome quiz!

Oh, and about that Sonic answer... you should be made aware that Tails Doll has something of a cult creepypasta following after he appeared in a fan-made cartoon series called Sonic Shorts, which was displayed at the annual Summer of Sonic conventions here in the UK. I've attended four of them in the past. The fact that he's a much bigger deal than his single appearance only adds to the in-joke amongst fans, and means that many are aware of his backstory, even if they've never played Sonic R (although I do regularly replay Sonic R on the Sonic Gems Collection on PS2, as it's something of a guilty pleasure). Basically, he's less obscure than you might've thought, sorry! Metal Knuckles was just luck of the draw, as I adore Knuckles and was obsessed with him as a kid. I also used to informally, yet frequently, contribute grammar edits to the Sonic News Network, the Sonic Wiki, and I believe I gave information to, or even wrote entire sections of, both of their character pages (they've since been hacked to pieces, though).

God, I'm a nerd.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Yeah, I wasn't sure whether it was a typo or just a very close guess. Basically you were one letter away from a draw!

I fell down the Tails Doll creepypasta rabbit hole the other day when I was reading up on the character, that's also how I learned of the Lego Dimensions cameo. I had to look him up because I couldn't remember his name (thought it was Toy Tails) - so basically I would have scored nothing there. Once I'd made the disturbing creepypasta discovery I thought about incorporating his cult following into the question, but I couldn't make it work.

Metal Knuckles I do remember though. I used to like Knuckles when I was younger too, I remember I used to enjoy drawing him a lot. My teachers would ask what I was drawing and I would say "he's an echidna, he guards Angel Island", and they would look at me with a slightly concerned expression.

And Sonic R is an absolute titan of the novelty racer genre and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's the game Mario Kart could have been, if only they could have been arsed to get out of their cars and walk.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Story of my life.

I've no idea quite how it got started; somebody just had a silly idea, put it in Sonic Shorts, and off it went. Once it had embedded, one of the Sonic Shorts presentations had its credits go all sketchy and a fanged, red-eyed Tails Doll emerged with a really horrific voice; the scream from the crowd at Summer of Sonic remains one of the loudest noises I've ever heard.

Same! My schoolbooks were filled with doodles of Sonic characters! I found Knux the easiest to draw, too, and would practice by using my Sonic the Comic issues as a reference (my favourites were always the Knuckles storylines, as they made him into a kinda Wild West drifter character).

I still remember the moment I was playing Sonic R and realised I had to take massive detours to find all the gold tokens and Chaos Emeralds, yet still somehow win the race. I believe my exact words, yelled aloud, were "You expect me to do WHAT?!" And yet, a couple years later, I'd experience the fiddly nightmare of getting Sonic Riders to 100% completion... now there's a real challenge!

I'd love to see Mario run against Sonic. Just because I'm cruel.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Sonic the Comic, now there's a blast from the past. I've just google image searched it and got a big dose of nostalgia.

Around the time of Sonic and Knuckles' release, Sega Magazine ran a fake competition to find the hidden character 'Rankles' in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. He was supposed to be a green otter with sparkly ankles. They had a screenshot as 'proof' of his existence, but it was just a picture of Knuckles underwater. That didn't stop kids sending in drawings of Rankles. I probably would have been one of those kids had my friend and I not figured out it was a hoax.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I know, right? I had a whole stack of them and stupidly, in my late teens, gave them away to a friend (who I secretly fancied... and no, it didn't work, and then I went to university and never saw him again, so they're lost forever). Still kicking myself for that.

I love those old stories, back before the internet was established and you had to believe what the gaming magazines told you... but y'know what? If your quiz question had asked about Rankles, or the urban legend surrounding him, I wouldn't have scored a single point. Never heard of that one before.

Congratulations; you finally did it (without even trying)!

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I should've hung on to that bit of trivia for next time! Oh well. I secretly wanted Rankles to be real. I was a bit gutted when it was confirmed he was made up.

Clearly you need to track down your old friend, Drifter Knuckles-style, and dispense some justice.

mookysam

Loved Sonic the Comic when I was growing up. Each year my primary school had a "fun day" where they also did a jumble sale, so me and my brother were able to get enormous stacks of the comic for next to nothing. They were always in excellent condition too.

@RogerRoger Those pre-internet days were nice though. I still think I'm lucky to have grown up without it. Magazines were awesome.

mookysam

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Clearly.

Although knowing my luck, he'll have sold / eaten / burned them by now.

@mookysam Yeah, I often consider myself quite lucky to be old enough to remember life without the internet, but young enough to be tech-savvy. As much as I love Push Square, there's nothing quite like those old gaming magazines and comics. Games today have way less mystery about them, and it's why I'll never begrudge somebody like Hideo Kojima and his never-ending unanswered questions, even when it frustrates the heck out of me.

I still remember the whole "Nude Lara" thing being something the older kids whispered about, and their horror when somebody input a code from a magazine and she exploded.

Good times.

Kidfried

Untitled

COWBOYS, DRAGONS, ASTROBOTS, HITMEN AND WASTELAND WANDERERS...

PUSH SQUARE FORUM QUIZ FOR WEEK 45

Happy weekend everyone! This week's quiz doesn't have a theme or anything, but I put a little more focus on indie game than some of the quizzes that came before.

I made a template for you to copy, so you don't have to write down all the spoiler tags yourself: click here.

The highest score you can get for this quiz is 43 points. I've put the number of points you can acquire for each of the questions in brackets. You'll figure it out. Anyway, I won't waste anymore time chatting.

ROUND 1 - GENERAL GAMING TRIVIA

1) Until recently Sackboy was widely known as an unofficial PlayStation mascot. He was even put in two Sony-published games as a hidden easter egg. What two games am I talking about? (6)

2) The obligatory Sonic question: Speaking of easter eggs, in what came could you find a jewelry store called "Supersonic Ring Store"? (4)

3) In the South Park: The Fractured But Whole for PlayStation 4, what famous actor owns a Mexican restaurant? (4)

4) I wonder who of you have ever heard of Clover Studios, a former Capcom studio consisting of the publisher's biggest talent. In its short existence the studio managed to develop four very unique video games (among which one sequel) for the PlayStation 2. Which four games? (8)

5) Last week the complete line-up of the PlayStation Classic was announced. In most games on the system you (can) take control of a human protagonist, but in three games you can't. In which three games can you only control a non-human character? (6)

ROUND 2 - INDIE PROTAGONISTS

This round is easy. I will give you the name of four indie video game protagonists and all you need to do is name the game they star in. All of these games were released on a Sony console, and all of them were released in the last five years. (15)

6) Red

7) Quill

8) Frisk

9) Madeline

10) Otus

Edited on by Kidfried

Wind's howling.

Th3solution

1) The Order 1886, and ...does PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale count?

2) And The obligatory Sonic fail from me — uh, Is there one called Sonic Generations?

3) No idea. Maybe Lou Diamond Phillips

4) Ah man. Clover studios sounds familiar. I probably played these. Was one of them Okami? And maybe Katamari Damancy and its sequel the other Katamari game. And for a final guess, I’ll just go crazy and say Vagrant Story. I’m really bad at knowing studios. Actually.... I’m really bad at most of these questions.

5) Well, Oddworld is one. That dude is definitely not human. And then I don’t remember many others except Mr. Driller I think is one and although I never played the game, he’s probably not human. And lastly Metal Gear Solid... because the protagonist is a Snake.

6) Red is in Transistor, I believe. I still need to play that though, so I’m not certain. Seems like when I was reading about it that’s the name of the girl in it

7) Quill - sounds like should be from A Night in the Woods

8) Frisk - No idea. How about Rime?

9) Madeline - Is that the girl in Contrast? That’s more than 5 yrs old. I don’t know.

10) Otus - maybe Valiant Hearts?

A great quiz, sir! I like the indie protagonist questions, even if I stink at them. Cool idea.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kidfried

@Th3solution Thanks for taking part. Pretty decent score too. Now if it stays like this you'll be number one regardless.

Wind's howling.

mookysam

ROUND 1 - GENERAL GAMING TRIVIA

1) Tearaway and Uncharted 4

2) Sonic Unleashed. That had a hub didn't it and hubs have shops. Although there was that weird human princess bestiality thing going on in Sonic 2006 so maybe she wanted a ring to prove Sonic's love for her. I'll stick with my first answer though.

3) Salma Hayek perhaps. I haven't played the game.

4) Okami; Viewtiful Joe; Viewtiful Joe 2; God Hand.

5) Rayman; Oddworld Abe's Odyssee; umm Jumping Flash

ROUND 2 - INDIE PROTAGONISTS

6) Okay, colours, I can work with that. Err...okay I can't.

7) Moss (I think)

8) Undertale (maybe)

9) Sounds posh. Swans are posh! Unfinished Swan?

10) Sounds sci-fi-ish. Axiom Verge?

Question 4 sounds familiar. 😂 Most of these are guesses!

mookysam

Th3solution

@Kidfried Ah well. Number 2 maybe? Lol. Actually I’m always surprised each week at that even though my initial read through the questions gives me the feeling I know none of them, yet after some thought I typically can come up with at least a couple points. I’ve yet to score a goose egg. 😅

Ralizah

@Kidfried

1) Uncharted 3 and The Order: 1886

2) Sonic Adventure?

3) Mel Gibson?

4) Viewtiful Joe. Viewtiful Joe 2. God Hand. Okami.

5) Rayman. Oddworld. Jumping Flash.

6) Transistor.

7) No idea.

8) Undertale.

9) Celeste.

10) Owlboy.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Gremio108

I'm liking the focus on indie games. Let's do this.

1. Sackboy was in The Order 1886, he was on a table and you could pick him up.

He was also (spoiler alert for those who haven't played it) Kratos' long-lost other son, and brother to Atreus in the recent God of War. He turns up about halfway through the game and demands to know why Kratos gave him up for adoption. Kratos goes nuts and beats the stuffing out of him.

2. Streets of Rage 2? Total guess.

3. Hmm, not played it. I mean, it's South Park so it could be anyone. Kevin Spacey?

4. Clover made Okami, God Hand and Viewtiful Joe for Playstation. I can't think of the fourth, but it breaks my heart that they only did four games. Their fire burned briefly but brightly!

5. Abe's Oddysee, and does Rayman count? Can't think of the other for the life of me.

"This round is easy" - I beg to differ, but I'll have a go:

6. Red = I want to say Pokemon but that wasn't an indie game so....... Oxenfree?

7. Quill - isn't that the mouse in Moss? I only know that from reading about the game on this site!

8. Frisk = Firewatch?

9. Madeline = Bound?

10. Otus = Don't Starve?

That got trickier as it went on. I should clearly play more indie games. I used to play loads, what happened to me??

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Phew, made it!

1) Sackboy is found atop a cabinet in The Order: 1886 and on the front of a bus in Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

2) I think you're referring to the Supersonic jewellery store found in Grand Theft Auto V, yeah?

3) James Earl Jones (in other words, I've no idea).

4) Clover Studios developed Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2, as well as Okami and God Hand.

5) Less trouble remembering the protagonists and more the PlayStation Classic's actual line-up! Um... Jumping Flash, Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey and Rayman?

6) No idea. Red is from Dead, a game about Redemption.

7) Quill is the mouse from Moss.

8) Frisk is from Cavity Search 4: An Intimate Police Simulator, which was recently censored on PSN.

9) Madeline is the protagonist from Celeste.

10) I'll attempt a very risky guess... is Otus from Owlboy?

Lovely quiz, nicely done, and very kind of you to offer up some ready-made spoiler tags! Thanks! Glad I was able to get back in time to take part.

Gremio108

Just realised which Clover game I missed and feel a bit stupid now

Th3solution

@Gremio108 #1). Thanks for spoiling for me. Now the game is ruined. 😜
@RogerRoger #8). 😂 Stupid censorship.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic