Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Weekend Quiz

Posts 421 to 440 of 554

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON Wow, you put in quite some effort there. Looking great. I don't know how many answers I will get. Starting on it as soon as my weekend starts.

But first, I have to try and score me a new job contract today!

Wind's howling.

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried Smash it!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Holy sweet potato and goat's cheese ravioli in a saffron reduction, Batman!

Right, okay... let's do this!

Round 1 - Face to Face
Question 1
1. Um... Superman?
2. Hold on, is the clue in the game's name? Haven't watched the animated film in ages (and really wanna see the new one) so, er... Cyborg Superman?
3. The one with the stupid name... Eradicator? Eraser? No, it's Eradicator.
4. Doomsday (total guess)?!
5. Pass.

Question 2
1. Axel
2. Blaze
3. Er... Other Man in Vest!
4. Woman Wearing Backwards Baseball Cap!

Round 2 - Technologic
Question 3
1. R-Type
2. R-Type 2: Type Harder
3. R-Type with a Vengeance
4. Live Type or R Hard
5. An R Day to Type Hard

Question 4
a) Sony Computer Entertainment (obviously)!
b) I really wanna say IBM...?
c) Oh, er... Toshiba.

Round 3 - Interstella
Question 5
1. Colony Wars: Vengeance
2. Colony Wars: Red Sun
Bonus: Oh, blimey... that wasn't Blast Radius, was it?

Question 6
It was a (heavily modified) YT-2400 Corellian light freighter named the Outrider.

Round 4 - Save the Last Humans
Question 7
1. Never played it, so I'll go with the Enterprise for obvious reasons...
2. ...and the Hotpoint i3000 Eco-Spin.

Question 8
Naughty Dog were working on a scarily-realistic-looking Jak 4.

Round 5 - Don't Believe Your Eyes!
Section 1 Video: The game adaptation of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
Section 1 Music: Sounds like a copyright-free version of Doom.

Section 2 Video: I'll guess at Colony Wars, because it sure as heck isn't Star Trek Invasion!
Section 2 Music: That's Streets of Rage, surely?

Section 3 Video: Iron Man Vs. the Space Dinosaurs!!
Section 3 Music: Wait... THAT'S Streets of Rage, surely?!

Section 4 Video: Disney Infinity's TRON level...?
Section 4 Music: Star Light Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991), composed by Masato Nakamura.

Section 5 Video: Time Crisis! Awesome!
Section 5 Music: Barbie Fashion Patrol on Nintendo DS.

The Daft Punk Bonus:
1. I'm assuming that Daft Punk are a kind of popular music, yes?
2. Well, I'm screwed then.
3. A teacher at school once called me a "daft punk", though.
4. Thing is, I was always in a hurry to grow up. We had the option to wear shirt-and-tie, or a polo shirt, and I totally opted for the former, even though nobody else did.
5. Which probably explains why now, at age 31, I'm such a big kid.
6. Wow, breakthrough for my next counselling session... anyway, where was I?
7. Oh yeah, so this teacher calls me a "daft punk" (because I still acted out, like all kids) so without missing a beat, I turned to her and replied:
8. "Ma'am, I'm about as "punk" as Clement Atlee's waistcoat, but I'll grant you "daft" since I've answered you back in this flippant manner."
9. A week of lunchtime detention. So totally worth it, though.
10. God, I was a moron.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

RogerRoger

@Kidfried And a belated "very best of luck to you today" (he says in a separate post so that you don't see his answers in an un-spoiler-tagged email notification, even though they totally wouldn't help because this quiz was INSANELY tough and I'm so gonna crash and burn)!

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Was it too hard? I altered my first draft and video (again, apologies for the ropey vid!) as it was just a bunch of very specific shmup stuff that like, 6 people know!

I wanted some sort of bonus - so I did have 'How many gameplay loops are there in Gradius V?' as the bonus question, with points for the correct answer and a secret numberwang!

I thought Daft Punk would be more accessible...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON No, it's just me being me. Don't worry!

Whilst I could perfectly recall answers like the make and model of the Outrider and the composer of Star Light Zone I could only do so because they're from things I like; when I like something, I obsess over it and soak up information like a sponge. Having a not-quite-but-nearly eidetic memory helps, but it only works with things I'm concentrating on.

I don't like popular music, so I actively ignore it and therefore tend to lose all information I've ever gained about it. Equally, if I haven't played something (like old-school games or side-scrolling shooters) or been told about something by my best friend, I'm totally lost, and you get comedy answers like the ones above.

It was a really enjoyable quiz to attempt, and the questions I didn't know the answers to just added to the "Eureka!" moments when it came to ones I did.

Thanks for the thought and time you put into crafting it!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger haha good!

Thanks for having a go!

And just now I'm thinking I'm going to build a spreadsheet for scoring this.

Th3solution

Somehow, this is probably the hardest quiz yet. I’m really struggling. But I have to try to defend my 5th place finish ....

Round 1. Face to Face. Wild guesses here —
Question 1.
1. Lex Luther
2. Lois Lane
3. Martha
4. Batman
5. Wonder Woman
Question 2. I actually played Streets of Rage, I think. But I had no idea the characters actually had names worthy of remembering, so —
1. Big Guy
2. Smaller Guy
3. Girl
4. Other girl
Round 2. Technologic. Good grief, R-type? Isn’t that a car model name in Gran Turismo?
Question 3.
1. R-type X-system
2. R-type Z-level
3. R-type Part 2
4. R-type J-format
5. R-type Remastered
Question 4.
a), Dell b), Intel c) Qualcomm
Round 3. Interstella
Question 5. Colony Wars ...? Am I this stupid? I’ve barely heard of these games—
1. Colony Wars: The Battle for the Petri Dish
2. Colony Wars: Before Independence Day
Bonus. Indigenous Land Wars
Question 6. Dash Rendar’s freighter —
1. The Centurion Hawk
Round 4. Save The Last Humans
Question 7. I actually played and like Resogun! But I didn’t pay attention to what the ships were called!!
1. The pointy quick one
2. The fat slower one.
Question 8. I actually like ND so am embarrassed that I don’t know this but I have a guess —
1. A Pirate game
Round 5. Don't Believe Your Eyes!
Section 1.
Video. - Galaga
Music. - Yakuza 0.5
Section 2.
Video. Space Battle Royale
Music. Techno Wars: The Definitive Edition
Section 3.
Video. Jetpacks Vs. Machines
Music. Fire Alarm Sims: The Game
Section 4.
Video. Tron!
Music. Synthesized Sounds: The Game
Section 5.
Video. Uncharted 0.5
Music. Dance, Dance, and Dance Some More

Daft Punk Bonus — Ok, I had no idea what “Daft Punk” was so I had to google it and read the wikipedia page, so this might be cheating, but oh well. These are some of the things I saw Daft Punk involved with which are in the quiz or related :
1. Interstella (movie?)
2. 5555 (subtitle to movie?)
3. Tron Legacy (there some Tron gameplay and the band did music for the movie)
4. I got nothing
10. Thank you for my lesson in humility today. I have never felt so uninformed about video games as I do now.

@KALofKRYPTON

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution Aw mate! Brutal!

I really didn't think it was going to be all that tough.

But thinking back on past posts and polls and such - I'm probably one of few here pushing 40 and in to older stuff, shooters and French house music!

Thanks for having a go!

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON I love French house, but unfortunately it can only net you 10 points.

Wind's howling.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Your answer of Indigenous Land Wars made me laugh so much, I spilled my banana milkshake (and that's not a euphemism, either).

Well-played my friend, incredibly well-played!

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON @Kidfried
Haha! Well, I feel like I am slightly less informed than most here as it relates to retro gaming and then you couple that with just my general lack of skill with trivia retention, and now add on a smidge of European cultural ignorance on my part (French house music? As far as we’re concerned here in the US the French are only known for their toast, their braids, their horns, their fries, their manicures, and their kissing 😉) and you have a recipe for disaster with this quiz. I always enjoy these quizzes regardless. It gives me a glimpse into people’s sub-interests within the gaming interest, if that makes sense.
@RogerRoger And I’m glad you picked up on my feeble attempt at a play on words related joke. Haha, my weird mind does random things sometimes. And actually it stems from the fact that we recently had Columbus Day herein the US and the current movement is to change the name of the holiday to the more socially and politically appropriate alternative. Anyways, so my brain was thinking pre-Colonies and it went there. 😂
And I about snorted my drink laughing when I read your “and that’s not a euphemism” clarification. 🤣

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Happy to have returned the beverage-endangering favour!

Th3solution

@RogerRoger And oh my.... I just now read your answers and all I can say is “Bravo, sir!” I was in stitches through your whole quiz. Even the way you go above and beyond when you answer the questions you do know and give all the extra detail. 😆
Your Daft Punk attempt will certainly go down in forum quiz lore for generations to come. 😂

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Most kind, but I was inspired by you and the other excellent comedy answers we've had over the past few months (translation: it's all your fault).

mookysam

Gosh what a quiz.

Round 1. Face to Face.
Question 1.
1. Superman
2. Bea Arthur
3. Estelle Getty
4. Betty White
5. Rue McClanahan

Question 2.
1. Viola Davis
2. Nina Simone
3. Sister Rosetta Tharpe
4. Judi Dench

Round 2. Technologic.
Question 3.
1. R-Type
2. R-Type Returns
3. R-Type Forever
4. R-Type and Robin
5. R-Type

Question 4.
a), Sony b), Toshiba c) IBM

Round 3. Interstella
Question 5.
1. Antz
2. Beez
Bonus. La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Question 6.
1. The Compact Pussycat

Question 7.
1. Killer BOB
2. Mike

Question 8.
1. Cher: The Experience

Section 1.
Video. Gradius
Music. Habanera

Section 2.
Video. Something Shooty: The Game
Music. This actually does sound familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Dang it.

Section 3.
Video. Knights into Dreams: The Edgy Remake
Music. H.A.P.P.Y Radio

Section 4.
Video. Mario Kart on acid
Music. Star Light Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Section 5.
Video. Macaroni Midler
Music. Another familiar one. My brain is fried.

Daft Punk Bonus
1. A
2. Fat
3. Man
4. Usually
5. Has
6. A
7. Belly
8. Like
9. A
10. Percolating coffee pot.

mookysam

KALofKRYPTON

@mookysam

Ouch! I really thought people would better at this given some of the arcane knowledge on display last week 😮

Thanks for having a go- you definitely have some points 😋

Gremio108

If I had to describe this quiz in four words, I would probably say 'Harder, better, faster, quizzier'. Let's go!

Round 1. Face to Face.
Question 1. I am not familiar with this game, but I can have a damn good go at naming some characters.
1. Lex Luthor obvs
2. Lois Lane
3. Aquaman
4. Wonder Woman
5. Ben Affleck

Question 2.
1. Blaze
2. Axel
3. Roo
4. Boxer guy, can't remember his name, going to kick myself over this one

Round 2. Technologic.
Question 3.
1. R-Type Delta
2. R-Type Zero
3. R-Type 2000
4. R-Type Jaguar
5. R-Typewriter's broken, please can we borrow yours?

Question 4.
a) Intel b) Frigidaire c) Dyson

Round 3. Interstella
Question 5.
I'm aware of the Colony Wars games without ever having played them. With that in mind I'll say:
1. Ant Colony Wars
2. Colonel Wars II - Colonel Sanders' Revenge
Bonus - would that be Rollcage?

Question 6.
1. Don't know this at all. Let's say 'Da Funk'.

Question 7.
Argh, yet another reason to play Resogun. I really should get around to it at some point. Two ships, let's see...
1. The Black Pearl
2. Titanic

Question 8.
1. I've no idea. Some sort of platformer? Isometric French house music-based puzzler?

Section 1.
Video. Don't know
Music. Don't know. Good start.

Section 2.
Video. Hmm, don't know. One of the Gradius games?
Music. Ah yes, this is from that scene in Uncharted when Sully has a flashback to his acid house days

Section 3.
Video. Don't know but it looks fun! How do I not know what this is?
Music. This music is equally bonkers.

Section 4.
Video. Some sort of Tron game?
Music. Sonic 1. Starlight Zone. When I close my eyes I can see those annoying bombs going off.

Section 5.
Video. Time Crisis,I think...
Music. It sounds like the background music on one of those depressing all-night phone-in gameshow things you find at 2am on ITV.

Daft Punk Bonus
I quite like Daft Punk, so I can smell points here...
1. You slipped a reference in right at the beginning with 'Get Lucky' you cheeky devil. I nearly missed it.
2. 'Face to Face' was one of their songs I think.
3. 'Human After All' was an album
4. 'Technologic' - that's a guess but it sounds like them
5. 'Interstella'? Guessing again.
6. 'Save The Last Humans' - another guess. It reminds me of 'The Humans Are Dead', the Flight of the Conchords' tribute to Daft Punk.
7. 'Post-Zombie-Fungal-Infection' sounds like it could be an obscure B-Side....
It seems I've only got seven, and I'm not massively confident about the last one. Guess I must have missed a few

I wear the chain I forged in life. I made it link by link, and yard by yard.

PSN: Hallodandy

Tjuz

I'll give this quiz a proper shot tomorrow, but from what I'm seeing as I scroll through it quickly, I'm absolutely hopeless!

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Man, I have got to play that game R-Typewriter's broken, please can we borrow yours? That sounds like GOTY material for sure! 🤣

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic