Forums

Topic: Playstation New Years Resolutions Thread - 2019 Edition

Posts 21 to 40 of 46

Th3solution

I was 50% on last year’s goals so I’m going to go a little more realistic this year.

Have a 3:1 game completion to purchase ratio
This is a variation of the very common theme I’m seeing here of whittling down the backlog. I got this idea from @Ralizah of setting up a tangible number to shoot for by establishing a ratio.
Now I will say that by “complete” I mean finish to the extent I want to finish. So if I start a game and after a few hours I decide I just don’t like it and I’m going to bin it, then that counts as a “completion” for me. ie. it effectively gets taken out of my backlog. So if I can do this then my backlog will be guaranteed to shrink by about 60-70%.

7 platinums this year
I got 6 last year so I think I can do this. I had a lot of fun doing it too.

Finish Persona 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2
Both these games are pretty long and I’ve stagnated a bit on progression through to the end. I have many other partially finished games but these two are the ones that I feel most guilty about not seeing the end yet. (Not incidentally, both are consensus Game of the Year runner-ups for the last two years.)

Play either AC Odyssey or AC Origins
I haven’t played an Assassins Creed game since I was disappointed by Black Flag. I keep hearing that these last two have re-energized the franchise in new directions. I’m not confident in being able to finish both this year, but at least one of them is doable.

———Non-gaming ———-

Read 5 new books
I haven’t been as good about reading lately and so my book backlog is probably even larger than my video game backlog. If Patrick Rothfuss would ever release the third installment of The Kingkiller Chronicles then that would help me get going!

Exercise three times a week
I’m tempted by @kyleforrester87 to take up cycling. That sounds great! I used to cycle and enjoyed it but it just took a lot of time, what with the bike maintenance, gearing up and all. I might get back into jogging or something else. But I need to do something!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution I basically moved 5.5 miles from work and the quickest way to get there and back is cycling (19-25 minutes each way, versus 45-55 on bus and underground). So unless I got a motorbike there is literally no faster way to get to work, so even on days when I "really" can't be bothered it's still worth it over the alternatives lol.

I also got a pretty snazzy bike so I was motivated to ride it, and after 1000-1500 miles it's needed no maintenance at all aside from some new tyres and cleaning the chain. It's really surprising the difference in quality (most noticeable being the gearing and braking) when you spend a bit versus a Halfords special.

I leave my work gear at work, take in 5 shirts on a Monday in my bag which I decrease using the hand dryer in the toilet and I've got a shaved head so no helmet hair to worry about 😂

So yeah it's a bit of a faff initially but it's the only way I've managed to get cardio into my life in a sustainable way. Generally I hate cardio just for the sake of it.

Once I've got through winter I'll probably take some longer routes home a few times a week to try and build it up.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 That’s awesome that you can combine exercise with routine transportation to and from work. That not practical for me. When I was cycling, it would be on my own time, getting into the gear, then getting down the road, then it was a good 30 minutes before I felt like I was even starting to get a work out, but more like an hour of riding, then changing clothes again... it’s a 2 hour commitment, versus just strapping on running shoes and going out the door for 20 minutes for the same work out. I have a Specialized Allez, so it’s a pretty decent bike, it’s a few years old now, and served me well through my months of interest in the sport, but it’s been out of commission collecting dust for so long that it would need a tune up before being road ready. I tried riding a few months ago and the gears are out of alignment and despite my attempts to adjust them on my own I just kept making things worse, so I need to have the shop figure out how to make them click smoothly through all the top and low end gears. And the hand grip is pretty ratty and degraded after all that time of inactivity. It gives me a headache just thinking about getting it road ready again.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution yeah gears are best left alone unless you know what you're doing (or at least have a stand that lets you work on the bike the right way up and spin the pedals as you go, you'll never get it right putting the bike upside down.) I always pay for it to be done in the shop, takes them 5-15 minutes while you wait and costs between £5-£10 🤷‍♂️

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@Th3solution

Th3solution wrote:

Now I will say that by “complete” I mean finish to the extent I want to finish. So if I start a game and after a few hours I decide I just don’t like it and I’m going to bin it, then that counts as a “completion” for me. ie. it effectively gets taken out of my backlog. So if I can do this then my backlog will be guaranteed to shrink by about 60-70%.

That's the best approach to take. Too many people are hung up on "completing" games, but, honestly, playing video games isn't a job, and finishing a game you dislike or truly just can't get into is merely wasted time.

I'm taking a similar approach to completion. A few games I'll probably give up on, either because I can't stand them or because I've had enough. Most, 90%, I'll finish past the end credits and probably do a little extra, but I won't fixate on completing absolutely everything. And a few games I'm going to want to experience as thoroughly as possible.

Th3solution wrote:

I used to cycle and enjoyed it but it just took a lot of time, what with the bike maintenance, gearing up and all. I might get back into jogging or something else. But I need to do something!

I can't stand dedicated exercise, so I walk to and from work every day, which ends up being around 2 miles in total every day. I also, infrequently, speed walk 3.1 miles around town in preparation for participation in a 5K race every year (my body isn't at the point where I can run or even jog most of it, but my brother-in-law and I have been aiming for gradually faster completion times, which means we keep pushing our bodies harder). It's not much, but as you said, it's something. It's something I can commit to religiously (so to speak).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Jaz007

1. get grinding on KH games. I need to get get ready for 3 and I’m hladway through 2. I need to play play play.
2. Finish Red Dead 2. Should happen after KH leaves my backlog.
3. Keep up with games this year. I’ve got three games pre-ordered, so I’ll be off to a good start for the year. I want to be able to participate in the GOTY talks this year.
4. Play God of War, Nier: Automata, Shadow of the Colouss, Spider-Man, and maybe Divinity: Original Sin 2. I’ve heard so much about all of these.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Nei

Happy new year, people! Very nice thread.

Sooo... in 2018 I stated I would try to play a game everybody said was great but that was out of my comfort zone, and I did! I played God of War, and even if it was kind of awkward to play as Kratos, I had a good time with it. Especially when they weren't talking and gameplay was king.

In 2019 my resolution is to stop buying games for one year. 2017 and 2018 were hectic: a lot of titles that I had been waiting for years finally came out and I binged on them...now it's time to kick back and relax, enjoying the occasional Street Fighter / Tekken /Smash match while I clear some backlog and try to get properly married with my better half without killing our lovely relatives in the process.
I have so many games that it just doesn't seem sane to buy more... and a copy of Shenmue III will be delivered to my door this August anyway because of the kickstarter. I will let myself purchase a new game only if something that I am obsessed with is stealth-released this year, but it has got to be huge: FFVII remake, a new Bayonetta, a new Monkey Island (lol).

@Ralizah First of all, kudos for sharing your non gaming goals and good luck with them!
The Heisig method was helpful when I was studying Japanese but, at least in my case, I couldn't rely solely on it and had to integrate it with Leitner, flashcard apps, reading mangas with a very young target and the very unhip and totally not-woke "write them till you fall asleep on your desk".

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Ralizah

@Feena I'll be using anki to learn and study kanji every day. Additionally, I'll be doing light language immersion (watching, reading, and playing Japanese media in unfiltered Japanese; listening to Japanese talk radio; etc)

Th3solution

I was thinking about some of these goals and figured it was about time to update them. The first third of the year is coming to a close. So naturally, we should be 33% done with our goals. Let’s see how I’m doing.

I’ve completed 7 and bought 2. Looks like I’m in target.

7 platinums this year
2 platinums so far. I’m a little bit behind, but close to being on pace.

One out of two ain’t bad. With Persona 5 still sitting dormant, I need to get back into that game, but at least I’ve finished Arthur’s adventure.

I haven’t even started either of these. I do have a little bit of an Assassin’s Creed itch going on so I expect to at least start one of these. Probably Origins first.

———Non-gaming ———-
Read 5 new books
I started two - Forever War and A Darker Shade of Magic. Didn’t finish either one yet. So I’m behind on this goal.

Exercise three times a week
This is harder to quantify since I’ve accomplished this off and on through the early part of the year. But lately not so much. I need to do better.

Overall, not too bad. I purposefully kept the goals small and achievable. Just a few things to nudge me in the right direction.

Ralizah

Let me check mine out...

Maintain at least a 2:1 completion/purchase ratio for games across all systems.

Not quite here yet, but I'm well on track to accomplishing this, with the caveat that I'm not including stuff like humble bundles which come with 3/4 games for a buck, or cheap in-store purchases where you get 4 retro games for $20. I mean singular, intended, and usually more expensive purchases.

In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch, complete a classic mode run for all base characters, and complete the "World of Light" adventure mode.

Done.

Complete at least six more unplayed PS+ games before my sub expires in November.

Finished three, and stopped playing one, but I'm considering it cleared from by backlog. So... four out of six.

Two or more Visual Novels this year. This doesn't include games that are evolutions of the point-and-click adventure game genre, such as Danganronpa or Ace Attorney.

Finished one. In the middle of the other.

Complete four or more Capcom games this year.

Two out of four. In the middle of the third.

Complete two or more games in my PS1/PS2 backlog.

In the middle of a PS1 game and a PS2 game, so it's well underway.

Complete three or more games in my PC backlog.

Completed one out of three. In the middle of the second one.

Complete two or more games in my Wii/Wii U backlog

Done.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Perfect resurrection timing, buddy! I just put the first of my five resolutions to bed last night, when I finally completed the Dragon Age trilogy.

Up next, Infamous!

I'm also staying true to my "Stop Pre-Ordering Everything" goal, although that's been pretty easy this year as there's relatively little coming out that interests me; however, pre-orders for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order have been live for a good couple weeks now, and I haven't taken the bait.

Looks like you're doing pretty well on yours, too. Congratulations!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Time flies and it’s been nearly 6 months since my last update. Less than 3 months left in the year. Checking off my platinum goal prompted me to revisit these.

Currently at 15:8, so I can round it to 2:1.
I need to finish 6 more games to hit my completion percentage goal. Still obtainable.

7 platinums this year
Just got my 7th! Woohoo! Done. ✅

Still just 50% on this - having never regained my P5 interest level. Maybe I can get back into P5 if I try.

Not done yet. Might have to work on this.

—And I’m not even going to comment on my non-gaming goals. I’ve been absolutely pathetic at those.

Ralizah

33 games completed so far this year. 16 purchased. That's better than 2:1, so I just need to not go crazy during this last quarter.

In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch, complete a classic mode run for all base characters, and complete the "World of Light" adventure mode.

Done.

Complete at least six more unplayed PS+ games before my sub expires in November.

Finished eight, so I'm done!

Two or more Visual Novels this year. This doesn't include games that are evolutions of the point-and-click adventure game genre, such as Danganronpa or Ace Attorney.

No progress. Still in the middle of the second one.

Three out of four. Technically I've completed a bunch more, but I'm counting six or so games in one collection as only one game.

Finished one PS2 game. Kind of abandoned the PS1 game I was playing, so I need to find something else to dig into.

Two out of three. Have a few more going. I'll probably clear this one by the end of October.

Done.

Rudy_Manchego

Progress so far is not too bad...

1) Beat Dark Souls: Remastered - I bought it, I have 2 and 3 gifted to me as well but I really want to sit back and play this game. Loved Bloodborne but struggled to get hooked with Demon Souls. Let's see how this goes.

FAIL - started it then for some reason went back to Bloodborne and played that to death.

2) Work my way through older Metroid Games on original hardware - I played Samus Returns and Zero Mission last year. I have Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on the shelf and am saving for Fusion. I won't finish them all but I would like to at least crack Fusion and replay Prime 1. Any more is a bonus.

ALMOST THERE - Part way Through Prime 1 and halfway through Fusion.

3) Play two more Zelda games this year. I have nearly finished Wind Waker on GC but I want to try and play through some other games.

PASS - Played Wind Waker to completion, finished Link's Awakening and half way through Minish Cap.

4) Continue my GC collection - I have got into collecting Gamecube games and accessories so I want to continue. On my list are all the RE games, Zelda Twilight Princess and Paper Mario.

PASS - Can't afford Paper Mario and don't have all the RE games yet but did get REmake and Zero. Also got Twilight Princess and a few other classics like Prime 2, Eternal Darkness.

5) Play at least 4 PS Plus games this year - I think this represents good value for money as I don't use online much. I managed 6 last year but that included PS Vita games so will settle for 4.

I haven't completed 4 this year but I have played at least 4. Put a far bit of time into Onrush, played a few Vita games from the backlog and technically Bloodborne was on Plus!

6) Invest more time in my podcast and Youtube channel - this means playing more diverse games and recording the footage. Sounds silly but I hadn't even done any video capture or image gallery stuff on my PS4 and only recently realised how strong the tool actually is.

Youtube has a few more vids on it but have invested a lot of time in podcast and enjoying that so considering a PASS.

7) Be more positive about games. Something that I think I am guilty of is the self-righteous indignation at the worst practices of the games industry. I still think they suck and will say so but I also want to do better at highlighting just how many positives there are in the game industry. Sure a lot of games are being fiddled with to encourage user spending, gameplay loops becoming grindy to keep players engaged and all that. At the same time, I as a player can have an opinion but also choose not to play those games. I played some truly wonderful games this last year, and not once did I bother with anything of the rubbish I dislike so much. So basically, if I get all high and mighty in comments etc., remind me of this thread and suitably chastise me.

PASS - While I will always drop a comment on things I don't like, I have just concentrated on games that make me happy and have cast my net a bit wider. This has been a big indie and Nintendo year for me.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

I said I’d cycle 3000 miles and I’m at... 1748. So not gunna happen. Had 2-3 months off due to a problem with my knee. New target is 2000! Happy enough, all things considered, though.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

Last chance to visit these goals for the year.

I’m going to finish the year at 2:1. Christmas gifts at the end of the year sabotaged this to an extent and grew my backlog. Nevertheless, although I technically missed the goal, I did accomplish an overall shrinking of the backlog, which was my all-around intent.

7 platinums this year
I stopped at 7, but I did accomplish it ✅

Not sure why I have a mental block against P5, but never truly made substantial progress there, despite being laser-focused on RDR2 earlier this year.

Been playing Origins for about a month, so I’ll say accomplished (I didn’t say complete the game 😛) ✅

I enjoy the satisfaction of a goal achieved.

Ralizah

Purchased 23. Before the end of the year, I'll have completed 38. So I messed up my goal, although my backlog did shrink.

Done.

Done.

Yep.

Yep.

Kindasortanotreally? I completed a PS2 game pretty thoroughly, and gave up on a PS1 game I found to be boring. I'll consider this 75% complete.

Yep.

Done.

Only really failed one, so I think I mostly did well.

We won't talk about my rl goals, though. Ha. ha. ha.

haaaa.

DerMeister

Well, let's see how I did-

DerMeister wrote:

-Actually get all the Crash platinum relics this time around.
-Get Warrior rank online in Tekken 7.
-Clear Metal Gear Solid V (Since Oct. 2017), Final Fantasy Type-0 (Since Jan. 2018), and Bioshock (Since May 2017) from my backlog.
-Finish all the main Mario games on the Nintendo classic systems.
-Replay Persona 4.

1. Nope. I went halfway through Crash 2 before I was swamped with other games. I haven't given up on it, but it's something to hold off on.

2. Yes. Did it with Leo, my 2nd main that I play like a 1st main.

3. Only finished Type-0. I quit MGSV out of frustration and I started Bioshock again pretty late in the year. I could finish it if I marathoned it for the rest of the year, all 5 days of it, without sleeping. Probably not a good idea.

4. Well, I got SMB 1-3 done, but I'm stuck on a part on World. This will ultimately be a nope.

5. Yep. Unfortunately, I didn't get the best ending, but the work to get it was always dumb on a fresh playthrough. Still writing that review that I probably should have finished by now.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.