Forums

Topic: Playstation New Years Resolution Thread- 2018 Edition

Posts 21 to 40 of 71

themcnoisy

@Fight_Teza_Fight Great stuff bringing it back. I struggle to commit as much time to push as I would like so its nice seeing threads from the past making a comeback. Its crazy seeing all the different people here compared to 3 years ago and everyones boss. Im crossing my fingers the bgoat thread can go mental like the Nintendo one last year!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Anchorsam_9

My main resolution this year is not to buy any games until I've powered through my backlog. I've got Yakuza 0, Dark Souls 3, Injustice 2, Final Fantasy XV, Bioshock Collection, and Skyrim Remastered to get through, so I need to resist the temptation to get stuff when it goes on sale.

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

Ralizah

@Anchorsam_9 Good on you. I've gotten better about that, but it's still a struggle for me.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Anchorsam_9

@Ralizah Definitely, its easy to get overwhelmed by choice when you keep buying stuff, and that really affects my enjoyment of games when you have other games looming over them. Here's hoping I can keep to it!

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

mookysam

@Fight_Teza_Fight RPGs are always massive timesinks for me and make quite difficult for me to get through my backlog. Last year Persona 5 took me 2 months to complete and Final Fantasy XII took the same. In 2016 Fallout 4 took six months to finish. Half the year spent on one game is crazy but I did enjoy all the aforementioned so it was time well spent!

My 2018 Gaming Resolutions

1. Don't buy something if it's just going straight in the backlog. I was quite good last year, only buying a game if it was something I intended to play right away. I'll continue that this year. Tied into this is not buying something full price unless it's something I'll play right away.

2. Finish Breath of the Wild. I was playing this on the Wii U and was quite far through it but now I have a Switch am going to restart it on that.

3. Get through my hand-held backlog. I love handheld gaming but over the past few years have played less and less on them. I have a massive PSP and Vita backlog (mostly RPGs!) so I really want to start getting into it again.

4.Finally finish Resident Evil PS1 It's a Halloween tradition of mine to play Resident Evil on my Vita. I've been doing it for three years and still haven't finished it. This Halloween I will.

5. Replay some more favourites Another reason my backlog is slow to dwindle but I do love to go back and replay my favourite games. Not really a resolution per se but I want to replay Metroid Prime gearing up for the release of Metroid Prime 4.

That's all I can think of right now. The first is the most important. I've saved a lot of money the past few years.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

KidRyan

2017 Update

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

My gaming resolutions are these for 2017...

1.) Beat most of my PS3 and Wii U games in my backlog.
3.) Beat most of my 3DS, Xbox 360, and Vita games.
Neither of these resolutions happened sadly. I lost interest in gaming for awhile, and then I became too focused on collecting games over playing them.

2.) Buy a 3DS, Xbox 360, and Vita.
I did end up buying a 4GB Xbox 360 E + 500GB 360 HDD and a New Nintendo 3DS XL Galaxy. However I ignored my 360 after setting it up and I barely touched my 3DS, despite owning 20 360 games, 20+ DS games, and 5 3DS games.

As for the Vita, I decided to stall on purchasing it until 2018, since I only own three games currently.

4.) Buy a PS4 Pro during Black Friday 2017. As for owning a XB1 and Switch, I'll be holding off on buying them until 2018.

I decided to buy a 1TB PS4 Slim instead of the Pro. I now own over 130 PS4 games and still growing XD.

2018 PlayStation Resolutions:
1.) I plan to conquer at least 10% of my growing backlog by Christmas 2018.
2.) I plan to not buy more games, yet I know I will when I see tempting sales lol...
3.) At some point during 2018, I plan to buy a Vita, XB1, and Switch.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Anchorsam_9 The PSN sales are my biggest weakness. During the PS3 era I didn't buy a single digital game. I was pretty selective on what I wanted to play, but now I end up buying all the major releases anyway once they are dead cheap.

@mookysam A lot of people seem to be more conscious about buying games and paying full price on games. I wonder if this is the result of everyone having a nice, big library of games or because the consumer is starting to read the market more. Probably a bit of both.

@ToddlerNaruto Your backlog is insane! I bought a Switch last November and I hardly use it, because I struggle to commit the time to multiple platforms. Got PS4, PSVR, PSVita & the Switch in my current rotation and I can't even manage that. Good luck to you!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

BAMozzy

I never make Resolutions - that way I can't be disappointed if (or more likely when) I fail.

As far as 'gaming' goes, I can't say I intend to clear X% of my backlog or get Y trophies/achievements. Can't sat I intend to buy more/less games or play more/less either - I wouldn't buy/play more games/hours just because I made a resolution and the games are not interesting me and I certainly wouldn't refuse to buy/play more games/hours because I reached my resolution target and their are still games I want. Not going to clear my backlog at the expense of playing a 'new' game I want to play more either - so Resolutions in this area are pointless to me.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

KidRyan

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

@ToddlerNaruto Your backlog is insane! I bought a Switch last November and I hardly use it, because I struggle to commit the time to multiple platforms. Got PS4, PSVR, PSVita & the Switch in my current rotation and I can't even manage that. Good luck to you!

I didn't even mention the 50+ PS3 games I still have left to play, heh.

For me my backlog is between PS2, PS3, PSP, 3DS, DS, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, and PS4.

Thanks I'm gonna need it. Ever since I started working at Amazon, my only free time for gaming is on my two days off every week. Which means I have to juggle my free time between gaming, shows/movies, chatting with friends, etc.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Kidfried

Didn't post any resolutions here last year, but I won't miss out now. So, 2018...

1) Get more platinums than last year. I know it might sound trivial to some, but I really like that feeling of having explored every corner of a game, and then to have that plat pop. I got 8 last year, so beating that must be possible!
2) Play different games. I sometimes get a bit caught up in just playing another sequel or 'the next open world game by'. Really looking for some fresh experiences this year!
3) Get into an online game, preferably enjoying an online experience with friends/forum people. I sometimes feel like I'm missing out by playing mostly singleplayer games and games against random people online. Would love some great experiences with my PS friends.
4) Keep my PS4 clean! I'm going to try and clean and undust it every month.

That's about it!

Kidfried

Tasuki

The only one I can think of now is to buy less games. I have a bad habit of buying games and just not having time to play them, or play a little bit of them and get distracted with others. So I am hoping to finish the ones I really want to without the distraction of other games.

So far it seems to be going well but we shall see next month when Bayonetta 1 and 2 hits and Secret of Mana on the PS4

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Fight_Teza_Fight

3 month+ update

2018 PlayStation Resolutions:

1) Beat SkyrimVR
This one might be a lost cause. In the last 3 months I've only put in about 5 hours since (~30 hours total playtime) & with the little VR time I actually have, I'd much rather play newer games (Moss, WipEout,...).

2) 'Experience' Metal Gear Solid (main games)
I beat MGS3 last week, which was incredible! Now I've got 4, Ground Zeroes & 5 left. Seems doable.

3) Finish more games than I buy
Given I decided to buy a PS3 again and pick up some games I've missed, my backlog has started to swell up again. Currently at -8 across all platforms. Luckily I don't see myself buying anything outside of Yakuza 6 and God of War in the coming months.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight I was just thinking about this a couple days ago also. My update:

1.) Finish at least the main story of Persona 5, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 0.
Three long games. I needed to finish one per 4 months, so I still have about 4 weeks left to try to complete Persona 5. I’m about 50 hrs along, I think but I keep getting distracted by other games.
My grade on this goal so far: B-

2.) Be more well rounded and play at least one game from a genre I don’t usually play.
I knocked this one out early when I played Fez. I don’t typically play puzzle games. Fez was pretty good actually. I made it to the cool ending, and might go back to 100% it and find all the secrets at some point.
My grade on this goal so far: A

2a.) Play at least one online-centric game.
Well, I can probably count Bloodborne here, although it’s a stretch to call it an online game.
My grade in this goal so far: I think I’ll give myself a C, since although I am playing the game, I’ve yet to ring the bell for co-op help yet. But I do read and leave notes. And Bloodborne is not what most would call online-centric.

3.Buy either PSVR or a PS4 Pro and 4K TV.
Haven’t done any of the above and of the 3, the one I’m leaning toward would probably be a 4K TV first. We’ll see.
My grade so far: F

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

Octane wrote:

I have one: Beat more games than last year!

Shouldn't too difficult. I'm aiming for at least one game every month. Monster Hunter World will be my first game. I would also like to work on my backlog.

Let's see... It's April...

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. ...
3. ..!?

I'm working on MHW, and Gravity Rush 2 and MGSV count towards the backlog/old games.

Octane

themcnoisy

When I seen we were taking a look back I feared the worst for my resolution but am happily surprised.

1) this was a joke resolution so ignore!

2) Spend 2 full days with psvr. Finish some of the shorter games. platinum 🏆

3) Play some more Disgaea 5.Fail

4) Get gold on all track experience in GT SportGold 🏆 99% done only the sodding nurburgring alludes me by 6 seconds grrrr.

5) Start Trails of Cold Steel on vita.Bronze 🏆Started but literally still at the start.

6) Compile the very last but greatest Best game of all time poll!platinum 🏆Epic tournament with everyone on the forums - which will be even better from tomorrow until Friday.

themcnoisy

@Octane hahaha nice one, at least you bested SOTC.

kyleforrester87

I didn't write mine here but it was to slow down and enjoy the games I buy more fully. It's been a great success so far, I've only bought 3-4 new games (and only 1 major retail game, Ni No Kuni 2). I'm missing some games I'm interested in but hopefully I'll get to them in due course.

I was actually beginning to find it pretty sickening how quickly I was buying games and chucking them to one side to get on to the next thing.

Quality, not quantity is my mantra for the year!!!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

Let's see...

Maintain at least a 2:1 completion/purchase ratio for games on all systems (at least until I've cleared out my backlog completely, which won't be for many, many years)

Nope. So far, I've purchased 8 and completed 10 games.

Play half of the games in my PS4 backlog (roughly 9 games)

I've completed one backlogged PS4 game so far this year. Oops.

Platinum Gravity Rush: Remastered, Gravity Rush 2, and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Haven't touched either GR game this year. I recently finished Danganronpa V3, but it's at least another good 30 - 40 hours if I want to platinum everything. So far, I've invested 60 hours into the game (main story + post-game content)

3: Finish at least three of the games in my PS Vita backlog (not including Danganronpa V3)

Nope.

4: Finish two of the games in my PS2 backlog.

Nope.

100% Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild (sans korok seeds: once I've completely opened all of my inventory slots, I'll stop looking for these), Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on my Switch

Nope.

100% Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I've never done this, but always wanted to.

Haven't touched either of these games so far this year.

Play half of the games in my Wii and Wii U backlog. 15 or so unplayed games between the two systems, I believe.

Only completed one Wii game so far this year.

Finish Xenoblade Chronicles X

Still working on Xenoblade 2.

Complete Rune Factory 4, Etrian Odyssey III, and SMT Strange Journey Redux

Haven't touched these.

Complete 10 Steam games

Completed one Steam game this year.

100% Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

I've completed the main game, but have a long way to go if I want to 100% it.

Play Doki Doki Literature Club

Nope.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah 😂 I’m glad I’m not the only one with a lot of catching up to do this year. At least there are still 9 months left!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

I didn’t set any officially, but I’ve had some thoughts about it. I want to try and complete more games and to clear out a back-log built from not playing games for 2 years. It’s been going well so far. I’m doing well at avoiding buying new releases. I don’t need to spend $60 on games when I have so many to play and can play cheaper games for now.
For specifics, beat Persona 5 and play through KH 1.5 + 2.5 to get ready for KH3. I honestly don’t mind delta for KH3.

Jaz007

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.