Forums

Topic: Playstation New Years Resolution Thread- 2018 Edition

Posts 1 to 20 of 71

Fight_Teza_Fight

Bringing back one of my favorite threads of 2017.
Any games you finally plan to play this year? Maybe you want to buy less games or complete more of them? Or perhaps get that pesky trophy that has been standing between you and that shiny platinum.

Let's hear it folks!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

2017 update

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

1) Play Disgaea 5
Done!
2) Platinum Uncharted 4
Fail. Didn't even get to play through it more than once. One day, but I think I'll platinum 1-3 first.
3) Finish more games then I buy
Fail. I ended November at +2 in favour of games beat. However, after the January sale and PushSquare's GOTYs lists I ended up on -5 .

2018 PlayStation Resolutions:

1) Beat SkyrimVR
I own 3 versions of Skyrim. Have put near 400 hours into it, but have NEVER beat it. Something always comes up. I'm going for a much more streamlined experience in SkyrimVR, but I hope to beat it. I only get about 3 hours of VR time a week so it might be a tough ask. Currently at 20 hours.

2) 'Experience' Metal Gear Solid (main games)
I only got into MGS last year. The first game blew me away. Since then I have beat the second one, which was nowhere near as good or as memorable, but still very enjoyable. So got 3, 4, GZ and 5 left.
I use 'experience', because I don't know what I'll do about MGS4 yet. I own all the games, but my PS3 died after Skyrim killed it (*see point 1). Could borrow a PS3 from someone or just watch the cut scenes.

3) Finish more games than I buy
I think this will be a staple moving forward. Keeps spending in check and makes me focus on my backlog.
Currently at +1.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight
Awesome list of resolutions. I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. I like your #3 goal for myself. I really need to shrink my backlog.

As for 2017 goals. I didn’t set any so, there’s no review. I certainly ended the year stronger than when I started it, gaming wise. But part of that involved buying more games than I could play and putting myself in a backlog hole.

Going forward these are my gaming goals for 2018:
1.) Finish at least the main story of Persona 5, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 0.
I am about 20 hours into P5 and really enjoy it, but keep getting distracted by shorter game experiences. I haven’t even started the other two. When I sit down to play, I notice I have been avoiding the really long games just because I feel overwhelmed by their length and so I’ve been going through the shorter ones first. I can’t keep ignoring these gems. P5 was GOTY on Push Square. W3 was listed as the best PS4 game overall on Push Square. Y0 is just universally praised. I feel like I need to experience these. I own them all, I just need to bite the bullet. So it gives me 4 months each on average for each one.

2.) Be more well rounded and play at least one game from a genre I don’t usually play.
I tend to be heavy on RPG/JRPG, third person action/adventure, walking sims/visual novels/story games. I know I’m going to play RDR2, and Spiderman, and Shadow of the Collosus, etc. but I need to stretch myself toward other genres. I plan to try something different like racing, sports, simulation, fighting, RTS, FPS, a puzzle game, or just something different that I normally don’t like.
2a.) Play at least one online-centric game.
I almost never play multiplayer online. This one may end up overlapping #2 above. Maybe this year I’ll finally play at COD game, one of these battle royale games, or get into online Rocket League. Or maybe Monster Hunter or a game I would typically like, but would usually not delve into the online components.

3.Buy either PSVR or a PS4 Pro and 4K TV.
I’m perfectly content with my 1080p set and my current set up. But it may be time to stretch myself toward the next technology.

January is nearly half over. 2018 will be done before we know it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

Awesome, great thread to bring back.

2017 update:

1) Stop impulse buying games in sales unless I actually want, and have time, to play them - I have a slew of Vita and PS4 titles that I bought because, ooooooh cheap.
Overall I did pretty well on this one. I bought a lot less in sales EXCEPT for PSVR. I have a fair few PSVR titles I bought in sales that I haven't got to yet.

2) Use money saved above to buy the newer titles I actually want.
I actually bought and played new games this year and played.

3) Try to play 1-3 titles each year that are not in my 'comfort zone'. I have a habit of going with what I know I will like
I started to play more outside of what I normally play but fell a bit by the way side this year. For example, not into stealth games but played MGSV and actually enjoyed it (Gameplay that is). - Again, happy with this. I played Bloodborne, Hyper Light Drifter and a couple of other smaller games. I also got back into Nintendo games.

Resolutions for 2018 will be a bit more limited as I think I have a lot on this year that might distract me from gaming.

1) Finish The Witcher 3. I am about 10 hours in and I struggle on large open worlds that are a bit of a time sink but I really want to do the game justice.

2) Use my PSVR more (play at least every week). I have a bit of a backlog on PSVR and I've neglected it in the second half of the year, mainly due to going hardware mad in 2017 and acquiring a Switch, PS3, 3DS and SNES Classic. I've totally lost my VR legs and I need to pull the visor down more.

3) Finish one of the Dark Souls game. I played and loved Bloodborne in 2017 but it took a lot of dedication to get through it. I want to give another Souls game a go. It was going to be Dark Souls 3 but I will probably wait now and play the Dark Souls remaster.

Other than that, I have a few other projects connected with gaming. I'm hoping to start a gaming podcast with a school friend for some fun and I also want to do some more things with the Switch as well as mop up some old Nintendo classics.

Edited on by Rudy_Manchego

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

I have one: Beat more games than last year!

Shouldn't too difficult. I'm aiming for at least one game every month. Monster Hunter World will be my first game. I would also like to work on my backlog.

Octane

Cheski

I am planning on finally playing Bloodborne this year. I bought it last year right before Horizon and BotW hit, and it just kept getting pushed to the side as other stuff came out. I would like to pick up a Pro at some point as well.

Cheski

DerMeister

Last year for me was just getting a PS4. I have one now, so...

-I want to keep improving on Tekken. I finally hit Brawler online before my PS+ expired, but I want to get better at the game itself, so I feel more comfortable playing online and maybe reach a better rank.

-For whatever reason, I've had an urge to get all platinum relics on Crash N.Sane Trilogy. Don't be surprised if I attempt it. That might be my big goal this year.

-While not related to gaming, per se, I want to try to post more on the site. I've been here since 2014, yet I feel like I haven't contributed too much. I should fill my friends lisg with more people from here as well.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Gremio108

1. Finally play Uncharted 4 after two false starts due to a) My friend lending it me but then having to go back to Japan and taking it with him, and then b) a different friend lending me what turned out to be a pirated copy which crashed and nearly killed my PS4! (this was the same mate who sold my GTA V...)

2. Stop lending copies of games from dodgy friends.

3. Platinum Dark Souls. Whether this is on PS3 or PS4 I haven't decided. Or maybe both? No, that would be stupid. I've got the other platinums apart from Demon's Souls, so I might as well go for this one as well.

4. Catch up on Assassin's Creed a bit. I'm currently up to Black Flag, which I'll start soon. I'll be happy if I can complete Freedom Cry, Rogue and Unity as well.

5. Complete Wasteland 2.

6. Platinum Dirt 4.

7. Complete Sonic Mania with all three characters and see their 'super' versions. I've already completed it with Sonic, obvs. I'm not looking forward to going for the emeralds though. I'm not keen on those special stages.

This is a pretty reasonable list I reckon. The problem will be the games that come out of nowhere and end up eating all my spare time. I can see Tails remaining distinctly un-super into 2019.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution My backlog is enormous and it just keeps growing. Even last year, when I actively tried to shrink it, I only added to it.
Trouble is, like you, I'm heavy on the RPG/JRPGs. So the games I do play mostly range from 30-200 hours (212 for Persona 5!). I too need to branch out some more with the games I play. I love watching 2D fighters, but I'm terrible at them. I envy @shonenjump86 who can just jump between fighters.

@KratosMD I still found it to be exceptional! I was gripped to those codec conversations with Rose (talk about drama!) and then the game goes nuts for the last 3-4 hours! I was near 20 years late to the party and having played MGS1 only last year, I have no hesitation in saying that, that game is one of the greatest games ever made. 2 is great. Heard 3 is the best, so can't wait to find out!
It's funny how much I can relate to your resolutions . 50 games is manageable. I beat a record 68 games last year, trouble is I bought 73 . The PS4 is also my favorite system of all time. I actually made that point in a thread someone did a year ago comparing PS3 with PS4 & the library is only getting better! I'm also planning to play more Final Fantasy games. I missed a lot of the earlier games, but I'm slowly getting through the series. Currently at FFIV- it's awesome!

@Rudy_Manchego I really need to make more time for my PSVR too. Currently I can only get on it on the weekend, but with games like The Inpatient and Moss coming & the ever present Skyrim, I really need more time on it.
Happy to see that you pulled through with your resolutions .

@Octane That backlog is a gamers greatest blessing and curse.

@Cheski Bloodborne is awesome man. It's my second favorite game on PS4 (Uncharted 4 #1) and is pretty easily the best Souls game imo.

@DerMeister I really need to finish the N. Sane trilogy. I played it for a week straight and then just dropped it. Your contributions are very much appreciated mate! Especially when you send in questions to the PushSquarePod . Hope it comes back one day. Make it happen @get2sammyb !

@Gremio108 That mate sounds like a right character! I'm a big fan of AC. I play them when I feel like it, which means that I'm also almost always playing catch up. I've still got Freedom Cry and Origins to play now. Need to get back to Sonic Mania as well. Got it for my Switch, but it feels weird playing it without a traditional D-pad. Maybe I'll re-buy it on PS4.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Hego

Love this thread! Need to get @mcnoisy back on this!
2017 update
1. Playthrough Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 again: failed this by not even starting DS3 but I have made a start on a Witcher 3 playthrough
2. Clear out my backlog: This was partially successful, I’m down to about 10 games on PS4, finished off a few games from my Vita backlog although not as many as I’d have liked
3. Use my Vita more: This was a success as I’ve definitely made more use of it last year but want to keep going with that

2018 Resolutions:
1. Play through at least 5 Final Fantasy games this year: Part of this is due to the Cane and Rinse podcast working through the series so I’d like to along with them aiming to play through IV, V, IV, VIII and XV
2. Try to catch up on my backlog so that I’ll only have new games to play
3. Platinum Dark Souls Remaster ( always have to have a really optimistic one don’t ya!)
4. Beat 12games from my Vita backlog (this will be helped by the fact that a lot of my Final Fantasy games are on the Vita)

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

Ralizah

Great thread. I love lists!

While MGS1 is my favorite game in the series, though, I'll absolutely argue in favor of MGS2 being the best overall experience in the franchise. From its brilliant subversion of player expectations and groundbreaking presentation to its disturbingly prescient themes, MGS2 is one of the most artful video games ever made.

Anyway:

Universally Applicable
Maintain at least a 2:1 completion/purchase ratio for games on all systems (at least until I've cleared out my backlog completely, which won't be for many, many years)

Playstation-specific Goals
1: Play half of the games in my PS4 backlog This should be a bit easier now that I've sold The Evil Within and GTA V (couldn't get into them, unfortunately). This should be 9 games or so.
2: Platinum Gravity Rush: Remastered, Gravity Rush 2, and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
3: Finish at least three of the games in my PS Vita backlog (not including Danganronpa V3) The Switch has pretty much become my go-to handheld of choice, but there are still games I want to play on this.
4: Finish two of the games in my PS2 backlog I have two SMT games I've been wanting to get back to (DDS1 and Nocturne) as well as a couple of Fatal Frame games.

Nintendo-specific Goals
1: 100% Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild (sans korok seeds: once I've completely opened all of my inventory slots, I'll stop looking for these), Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on my Switch
2: 100% Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I've never done this, but always wanted to.
3: Play half of the games in my Wii and Wii U backlog 15 or so unplayed games between the two systems, I believe. 7 or 8 games shouldn't be too monumental a task.
4: Finish Xenoblade Chronicles X
5: Complete Rune Factory 4, Etrian Odyssey III, and SMT Strange Journey Redux

PC-specific Goals
1: Complete 10 Steam games Really need to chip away at the gargantuan 100+ game backlog on here
2: 100% Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
3: Play Doki Doki Literature Club

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

shonenjump86

@Fight_Teza_Fight I guess you can say fighting games are my favorite. It’s easy for me to switch around with the 2D fighters but 3D ones like Tekken kinda throw me off a bit if I don’t play them for a good while.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

PSN: Shonen86

Th3solution

I’m very much enjoying reading everyone’s goals / resolutions. It’s really interesting to see the variety and where people’s focus is. It also gives me some ideas and motivation for the year. Speaking of, after reading @Ralizah list, I forgot one of mine so I need to do an addendum:
4.) Earn 5 Platinum trophies this year.
I’m not an ultra trophy hunter fanatic, more like an opportunistic hunter-gatherer. I do like getting golds and platinums if they don’t take too much of a ridiculous amount of effort and time and it’s a game I like. I have 11 plats right now, and I feel like 5 more is achievable this year. And this should easily put me at PSN level 18.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Hego yay cheers Shane.

Great thread Teza.

1) Beat @Rudy_Manchego @hego @Fight_Teza_Fight @Th3solution @Octane @KratosMD @Ralizah @Gremio108 @DerMeister @Chelski at a game (of my choice theres no way your picking)

2) Spend 2 full days with psvr. Finish some of the shorter games.

3) Play some more Disgaea 5.

4) Get gold on all track experience in GT Sport

5) Start Trails of Cold Steel on vita.

6) Compile the very last but greatest Best game of all time poll!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Doctor_BK

This is a great idea! I’m looking forward to seeing where I get with this list next year.

1. Broaden my library (backlog). I have already started doing this a bit. I picked up Nier: Automata and am about halfway through my second play through. I love it, and it really made me realize I’m missing out on the JRPG genre. I just got Tales of Berseria today and am eyeing the new Sword Art Online.
2. Play more “critically-acclaimed” games. This kind of ties in with #1. I want to play more well-reviewed games that I normally wouldn’t play. For example, I kind of already did this with Hellblade and Nier this year. I want to continue that trend and branch off into indies as well like Golf Story and Pyre. I have a bad habit of ignoring great indie games because I assume they’ll be free on PS Plus in a few months, but then I never end up getting to them.
3. Clear my backlog.
4. Don’t be afraid to retire games from backlog and games that I’m not enjoying. There are just some games that I know I’ll never get to, and I don’t want them to feel like a chore and force myself to play them. Also, I don’t like forcing myself to continue playing a game just because I bought it. If I’m halfway through a game and I’m still not enjoying it I’m going to put it down. This is hard for me cause I always feel like I HAVE to see the credits in every game I buy, but we only live so long. Might as well have fun on our free time.
5. Avoid buying games at full price. I know this kind of hurts developers, and I’ll still do it for God of War and Spider-Man, but I had a bad habit of buying games day one after watching someone play it on twitch, starting it, and then leaving it alone for months. It ends up being a waste of money.
6. Platinum Middle Earth Shadow of War and Destiny 2.
7. Get my non-gamer wife to complete a game start to finish. This is the most daunting goal on here.
8. Complete more games.

"Flame, dear, flame."

PSN: GrzzlyWzrd

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Hego Think this will be the year my vita sees the most use. I'm very excited for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Hacker's Memory next week & then there are the Persona spin-offs as well as MGS3 and like yourself will try to get to some Final Fantasy (I have FF1-10:2 on vita).

@Ralizah Gravity Rush (1&2) is a really fun platinum. The games have the best challenge modes. Good luck on getting 100% in Odyssey- that's a lot of moons!

@shonenjump86 I'm going to be checking out SFV once the arcade mode hits. I'm going to try and put some real time into it, as I'm also liking the look of DBFighterZ.

@Th3solution I'm also a trophy fanatic. I'm at 21 platinums and I thought about aiming for 30, but it really depends on the game. I don't want to force myself to continue playing a game that outstays its welcome. Last year was really special as I managed to platinum 4 of my personal top 5 (P5, Horizon, Nioh & NieR) all in a space of 2 months. I can't imagine ever doing that again! 2017 was a great year for gaming. Good luck on trophy hunting! Keep us updated in the trophy discussion thread.

@themcnoisy Cheers boss. Can't take credit though. Just bringing back a themcnoisy classic . Think I'll be hitting up some of your resolutions too. Need to get back to GT Sport, especially now that the single player mode is out.
'Compile the very last but greatest Best game of all time poll!' - You make it seem like your going away . The end of an era.

@Doctor_BK There are so many great games, that it's almost impossible to play them all. I've never played Yakuza, before the forum members turned me on to it. Now it's one of my favorite franchises. I'm definitely more conscious about spending full price on launch games. The way games launch, the longer you wait the better they are. I bought DS3 for near full price and by the time I got to it, the complete edition was half price.
Good luck on getting your wife to beat a game. Maybe a linear, story focused game like Uncharted?

Really good to see so many resolutions. Good luck to you all. Make sure to come back and provide an update as we move through the year .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Toyabrown

I hope Beyond Good and Evil 2 is this summer of 2018

Toyabrown

Hego

Doctor_BK wrote:

4. Don’t be afraid to retire games from backlog and games that I’m not enjoying. There are just some games that I know I’ll never get to, and I don’t want them to feel like a chore and force myself to play them. Also, I don’t like forcing myself to continue playing a game just because I bought it. If I’m halfway through a game and I’m still not enjoying it I’m going to put it down. This is hard for me cause I always feel like I HAVE to see the credits in every game I buy, but we only live so long. Might as well have fun on our free time.

This is a great resolution that I need to start doing

Edited on by Hego

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy Ha ha - How about a What Remains of Edith Finch off? First one to have an emotional breakdown wins (or loses depending on your perspective).

@Fight_Teza_Fight I have the same with PSVR in that I need to be considerate to the other half since me leaping about like a blow up mannequin is a bit distracting. I also have to tidy it all away each time so that the kids don't see it and decide its their next breakable toy. However, I WILL get on it more!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Toyabrown I like your optimism, but that's NEVER going to happen

Maybe late 2019, but it could also end up as a 2020 title. They're still early in development.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.