Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 141 to 156 of 156

Kidfried

@Octane Haha, now you're getting me all confused too. And I've even had three coffee already today. But yea, the pricing is way off. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (when it first came out) and Rayman Legends were both games that easily warranted the 60 euro price.

But yea, most games... don't warrant that kind of price. It's not about quality either, but content, creativity and production values all come into play. I love the Unravel game, it's meticulously crafted, but it's short and not all parts are as creative, so I wouldn't pay an AAA price for the game. I think they sold it for 20 or something, which makes it a steal.

And with many medium-priced games, like Hellblade and Uncharted Lost Legacy, being so succesful, I'm just surprised Nintendo isn't going down that route.

And that kind of connects to my feelings about Nintendo Labo too. A price of 80 euro isn't that crazy, if this was a full-value game (like Zelda and Xenoblade), and you'd pay the extra for the cardboard. But from the trailer it's pretty clear the game comes nowhere near their quality.

Wii Play, back then, was just 60 euro. You got a remote and a pretty fun game, probably on par with what Nintendo Labo is going to be. But this was at a lower price than Labo now, and you got a full controller instead of cardboard.

I'll be honest, I want Labo to fail. It's not because I think cardboard is stupid or anything (might be cool for kids), but this price is a swindle and consumers should take a stand against these type of practices.

Sorry for the rant!

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried The crazy thing is, Tropical Freeze was €50 when it came out on the Wii U. And it became a Selects title later in the Wii U's lifespan, and those were definitely not more then 30 IIRC. Though, I must admit, it's an amazing game. And I would've paid €60 for it in hindsight, had it been priced like that, and provided I knew how good it was.

But you're right, when a game like Shadow of The Colossus remake is €40, I find it hard to convince myself to put €60 down for Kirby.

The thing with Labo is that it seems you're paying more for R&D than actual.. gameplay. Now, I know we haven't seen all of it yet, but it seems to be nothing more than a few simple mini-games. And the robot game, yeah.. there seems to be no depth at all. It's just smashing stuff from what we've seen so far.

Octane

Ralizah

Tasuki wrote:

I love how because someone doesn't agree with others and can see the truth i.e. not being blinded by nostalgia they are melodramatic. I never said they weren't going to make games, just games with gimmicks that only a small portion of their fan base has any interest in.

Great. Care to point to any? Because, of the few first-party games we know are coming, none of them are "games with gimmicks." I mean, I'm not stupid, I'm sure we'll get a weird experiment or a party game here or there, this IS Nintendo, but so far their output on the Switch hasn't exactly been filled with weird gimmicks.

Nobody in this thread is "blinded by nostalgia." Aside from being a fan of the NES/Gameboy in the early 90's, I'm a fairly recent convert to Nintendo (around the end of the Wii/DS era), so I have no 'warm fuzzies' clouding my thoughts. I was primarily a Sony gamer for most of my life.

KratosMD wrote:

It's the people who keep missing our points that are being extremely ludicrous right now. "Nintendo is still making other games for the Switch" Yeah thanks for the newsflash guys, we know. Thing is I'm not myopic like you and only look at what games are coming in the following months. I'm looking at what games are coming beyond this year. So far Labo was only one thing. Then Nintendo announced they would be making more. That's a legitimate reason for concern, especially given their history. I keep saying this but people don't seem to care because apparently I'm being melodramatic, even though Nintendo themselves keep fueling us with more information regarding their business plans.

You're pointing at one side-project explicitly aimed at children and are declaring that Nintendo is "going back to its gimmick roots." You "thought they had changed, but apparently they haven't." If that's not a melodramatic reaction, then I don't know what is. Nintendo has ALWAYS had this creative, toy company side to them, as far back as the NES. They're ALWAYS going to target people beyond the core gamer demographic. That means nothing in terms of their actual software development philosophy for first-party games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Like I said, this means nothing in terms of their actual software development philosophy for first-party games like Zelda, Pikmin, Mario, etc. Stuff like Odyssey and BotW and stuff like Labo and whatever other peripherals they release can co-exist on the same platform.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@Octane I'll be shocked if we don't hear about it sometime this year. They've been teasing it basically forever.

Octane

@KratosMD ''Project Giant Robot [...] was supposed to be a regular Wii U game.''

It always looked like a weird gimmicky tech demo.

@Ralizah I love those games, but they're way too infrequent. As if every entry spends a good amount of time in development hell. Pikmin 3 was supposed to be a Wii game, and from Miyamoto's wording, the fourth one could've released on the Wii U if they wanted that to happen.

Octane

Tasuki

@Ralizah As of now the games don't have gimmicks. You all aren't seeing what I am saying. Right now yes there are no gimmicks but give it a few months, a year and there will be. Nintendo just can't help themselves.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@Octane Right, which is why I think we'll hear about it. It should already be basically complete. I'm betting Nintendo has a lot of software held back to pad out their 2018 lineup.

@Tasuki I mean, they do have gimmicks right now. SMO even has something suspiciously similar to Wii waggle controls. The games are still high quality, though, and the gimmicks aren't hugely integral to them. There's no reason to think that trend won't continue.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

NintendoEverything wrote:

– Some of the custom toys Nintendo showed off included an electric guitar and a basic game of electronic tennis
– Toy Con Garage uses simple “building blocks” to let you program your devices
– They’re essentially “if-then” statements
– When you open up the program, you can select from a number of blocks based on input options for your Switch’s controllers
– Then connect them to other blocks based on output options.
– Ex: you can connect the left Switch controller’s B button (input) to the right Switch controller’s vibration feature (output)
– By doing so, whenever you press B on the left Joy Con, the right Joy Con will buzz
– This is how Nintendo Labo users will be able to expand beyond the six types of cardboard creations included in the Variety Set or the one included in the Robot Set
– Ex: Instead of making a piano, you can make a guitar
– Or instead of making a toy car, you can build a little cardboard man who falls flat on his face
– You can mix and match different programs’ functionality—using the fishing rod to play music
– You can even add extra Joy Cons to build even more elaborate programs

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-labo-allows-for-rudime...

And the potential, as I was saying when I noted the visual programming and bug testing features to follow and test your creations as you build them, have just exploded into creative, programming, engineering and other educational forms.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@YummyHappyPills ''Exploded'' means Nintendo gives away a copy of UE4 with every Labo kit, that's not the case. ''simple “building blocks”. They’re essentially “if-then” statements'' means it'll still be limited. I mean, you're limited to pressing a button and/or touching the screen to make a Joy-Con vibrate. That's all they can do. You can replicate the falling man and the bug. The other kits require software, because they're played on screen with the use of Labo. And unless Nintendo gives you software creation tools, you're limited to the simple stuff.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Perhaps.

It also explains you can recalibrate what the effects of the controllers are, or remap them to other Toy-Con, for instance controlling the RC Car with the motorcycle Toy-Con. I imagine you can also influence the IR Camera.

Plus, to get a little programmer on you here, if statements, while rudimentary, are very powerful. In video games and software they are the core of determining whether an action is registered, most commonly in video games - inputs.

The range of inputs on Nintendo Switch are huge. They also mentioned tweaking a homemade guitar to play cat noises, and so on so forth. With the creativity of a child, which as the Cybermen would say is a source of infinite potential compared to slowed down adult brains, and some cardboard, even something simple like HD Rumble reprogrammed could lead to any number of vehicles, sexual things (We all know its coming dammit), and honestly with a little work I could probably make a drone.

Yes, really.

Use the touch screen to control the HD Rumble, and adapt the RC Car. The RC Car as we know uses the IR Camera as a camera you can actually see through on the screen, this has been confirmed (Also useful for searching under cupboards in more tiny configurations!).

So what if you made a cardboard drone, and attached little motors that would react to the HD Rumble being activated, that would trigger fans to lift the drone. Being cardboard it wouldn't even need to be that powerful. Then you can use the IR Camera to see around from above.

In fact I just looked it up, you could actually do this.

There are little batteries dubbed "Bolt" that are energy harvesters. They charge energy via vibrations. So if you rigged one to a motor and small fan, and used HD Rumble, you could power a lot of things, in a form more efficient than batteries. It's really small charges and requires around 120Hz to charge in terms of vibration force, which HD Rumble as you know is VERY capable of hitting if something like a microwave can charge them.

They can only power small things, but in theory it could power a small motor for a short while.

Hell I'm gonna try this now. I'd need to find something like it that is commercial available....but I wanna try it now.

EDIT: So the exact viability of an energy harvester to power a motor isn't a known quantity, but in theory I could then also use a simple vibration sensor, or find some way to just use vibration to spin a fan on its own.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Octane

@YummyHappyPills You can also buy a car and tape a pair of Joy-Cons and a piece of cardboard to it. That doesn't mean it's a car made with Labo.

If you're buying all that extra stuff, you may as well build a drone from scratch!

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane No. They are toys, obviously. It is to encourage creativity.

As a programmer, gamer, and game developer, ideas are rampant in mind over what I can do with two controllers, their features, some if statements, and some homemade cardboard.

Yes I could build an actual drone with a Raspberry Pi, some motors and some plastic, fairly simply as it happens. But for the novelty sake, and to save me opening VisualStudio, writing down lines upon lines of C#, doing some soldering, finding additional PCBs and components.

I mean I could do that...or I could repurpose the cardboard I get from Amazon near weekly, and make something I wouldn't be paranoid about sister destroying.

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills This sounds like it could be a good tool to introduce rudimentary programming concepts to children and the otherwise tech-illiterate. Very cool.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.