Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 121 to 140 of 156

Kidfried

@YummyHappyPills I get what you say. I just think Labo is a pretty stupid gimmick. I might be proven wrong in the years to come. But that's no different than someone who says it is a great idea. We might talk as long about it as possible, but I will think it'll keep coming down to the fact whether you believe in this or not.

I don't believe it's "the end of Nintendo" or whatever superlative doomsday scenario, and I do believe there will be kids having fun with it (heck, I enjoyed playing with cardboard when I was 4). But I'm pretty convinced this won't be any better than Wii Fit.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@kyleforrester87 Nintendo is alive because they are Nintendo and Labo's prove it. Fanboys will just buy anything with the Nintendo name just because it's Nintendo. i never said it was bad it's just I hate seeing them turn their back on their true fans and the ones that made them who they are here in the west, gamers.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki shows all the games we are know are coming

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki So the "fanboys" are not "true fans" they are, what.. substandard fans who don't matter? Meanwhile the true fans are.. err adults who were kids in the 90s and long to play, what, exactly? 4K 2D Mario games? I dunno man, you're confusing here if I'm honest. I understand you don't personally dig Labo, nor do I frankly. But I don't think Nintendo are turning their back on anybody here.

Its ultimately a supplemental project that will create jobs within Nintendo and a new revenue stream.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Haruki_NLI

@kyleforrester87 This man speaks the truth.

People act like Bayonetta 3, Metroid, Pokemon, No More Heroes, Fire Emblem, Dark Souls, TWEWY, DKTF, Ys VIII, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, Yoshi, Starlink, Megaman, Bloodstained, Wargroove, Dragon Quest, Octopath, and more suddenly arent coming...

Because of teo games and a peripherydesigned to expand the audience of a platform, something every company does.

You dont succeed by aiming solely at one market.

Netflix isnt just R rated shows. Thatd be too narrow a demographic. Sony isnt just targeting one age range with their own IP, nor is Microsoft. Square isnt JUST making JRPGs. Activision doesnt JUST make games for the 18+ crowd.

Doing that is foolish.

Furthermore acting like the announcement of a supplemental product line diminishes what the Switch has had, is confirmed coming, and will have in future is...well the biggest overreaction I have ever seen.

If ya want to get somewhereyou need to appeal to loads of different people.

While it may not be aimed at us core gamers it is aimed at someone - families. Creative and imaginative children. It also teaches them basic visual scripting, and engineering as shown in the trailers with little programming aspects and bug testing as you build and understand how the Labo works.

Thats two markets hit right there that a simple plug it in and play piece of software wouldnt otherwise hit - it has nothing to draw them in

Tasuki

@YummyHappyPills I never said they weren't coming. It's just when Nintendo decided to do a gimmick they shove it down a person's throat. As of now yeah it's a side thing but given their past, it will be only a matter of time till it's shoehorned into the next batch of games. Look at motion control for example. I won't at be the least surprised if the next Zelda has a cardboard sword and shield inculded with it.

On that not I also just saw on Twitter that Nintendo is planning more accessories and paraphernalias coming to the Switch. So yeah same old gimmicky Nintendo.

My Backlog

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki What will you say if this paranoia doesn't come to pass?

Tasuki

YummyHappyPills wrote:

@Tasuki What will you say if this paranoia doesn't come to pass?

Not paranoia truth. It will happen this is Nintendo. Saying that Nintendo isn't going to force gimmicks into gaming is like saying Sony and MS aren't going to care about power when it comes to gaming.

My Backlog

Octane

@Tasuki Nintendo clearly labeled it as a toy for children. They're going to to force that onto the next Zelda game. It's clearly it's own thing, and you can easily ignore it.

Whatever else they're planning to release, we don't know yet. No reason to complain about it yet. Look, if the next Metroid or Zelda requires a weird cardboard contraption to control the game, I'm the first one here to tell you that all sanity has been lost at Nintendo. But we're nowhere near that point yet. Let's just wait and see.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

Jesus christ are we going down the "We are right you just don't understand us" route now? Bugger me.

Seriously, we get it. You've been at it longer, you have a difference of opinion. We respect that, but we also can acknowledge both sides of it, the logic behind it that every company follows, and the inherent fear based on the past.

However no one can definitively say until the events come to pass. They wont come to pass and be fully judged until when the Switch is winding down and we can assess its legacy.

As it stands we must take a neutral stance, because no one can say one way or the other, with definitive proof, how things will pan out.

A truly unbiased opinion would take account of both sides equally. Your opinion, sorry to say, is biased because you aren't choosing to acknowledge or listen to the other side of the coin. You are saying "We've been here longer, we are right, you just don't understand us".

No, we understand damn well what you are saying, you are the ones not listening to the obvious logic that things don't always play out the same way every damn time, and in this industry you should damn well know counting chickens before they hatch is a stupid move.

To be unbiased means showing no prejudice for or against something; impartial. You are not being impartial. We are. We are acknowledging that yes, your fears on past evidence may indeed be founded, and when/if they are, we will acknowledge we were incorrect.

But we also have evidence to the contrary, quite an extensive list of games and announcements, that also disprove your fears, as well as evidence from a myriad of other industries, sources and businesses. We are being unbiased in the way that we acknowledge and appreciate that both sides have equal chance to pass as the events unfold.

An unbiased opinion, sadly, is not just simply saying "Oh they've done X before therefore Y will happen, even with Z good things." No. That's a biased opinion, because the conclusion you are drawing is only from half of the scenario, the half based on the past. The half you are choosing to acknowledge.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I'd say I'm pretty unbiased, never had a Snes or a Nes, had a 64 and loved Ocarina and Goldeneye, 1080 was good. Don't think I played many other games on it though. Second hand GameCube which didn't get much use beyond Wind Waker. Did love my Gameboy with Pokemon Blue. Happen to think the Switch is a truely awesome console.

It's not like I haven't followed them all these years though, I have an interest in all gaming.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Tasuki

@KratosMD Yep you pretty much summoned up how I feel nicely.

While yes Nintendo is free to do what they want I and I am know of alot of people who grew up with Nintendo feel the same way. Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for Nintendo as will but the direction they have been going it feels like they have abandoned their core audience which is gamers. It seems like they don't even try to compete with Sony and Microsoft anymore and for what was once the king of the video games it's sad to see them go in the direction their going. When Sega introduced the Genesis did Nintendo go OMG the have blast processing ok let's bring out cardboard robot suits and pianos that will beat the pants off of Sega. No they didn't they countered them with games like DKC, Super Mario Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy III, Mega Man X and the list goes on.

It just seems that the moment Sony and MS came into the picture Nintendo just lost their purpose that they were content on being the laughing stock now of the gaming world but honesty for me enough is enough. As I said if they want their future to be cardboard robot suits and silly stuff like that fine doesn't mean I have to support, and it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt turning my back on a good friend that brought me years of good memories.

My Backlog

Ralizah

Based on all of the melodramatic posts in this thread, Nintendo must have announced that they're canceling all of their upcoming games and are just making cardboard toys from here on out.

It's too bad. I was really looking forward to Metroid Prime 4 and the new Fire Emblem.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

I love how because someone doesn't agree with others and can see the truth i.e. not being blinded by nostalgia they are melodramatic. I never said they weren't going to make games, just games with gimmicks that only a small portion of their fan base has any interest in.

My Backlog

Octane

@KratosMD @Tasuki The last thing I am is blinded by nostalgia. I've been through most of it, from the original GameBoy and later the N64 until the Wii U. If you want me to list all the mistakes they've made, all the sub-par games, and all the stupid gimmicks, I can easily do that (though it's going to take some time). But if that makes my opinion more ''valid'', it's a bit silly isn't it?

Look, their current line-up is looking pretty bleak. I don't care about Fire Emblem, and I've said enough about all the lazy, overpriced Wii U ports. Kirby and Yoshi don't look bad, but at €60 I can easily leave them. Anything that's remotely excited is still more than a year away, and I'd be the first person to admit that I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for them to announce something good in the near future that's more than a ''now in development'' announcement.

Nonetheless, I don't think that's the result of Labo, and I don't think that team would've been capable of developing a Metroid game in the first place, so I don't see it as a waste of resources. As for the direction they're currently heading, we don't know. We don't know what the other peripheral is they're talking about. Could be some VR Aim type thing that's quickly forgotten about after its launch, we don't know. Like the others said, the games are still coming. And provided they keep announcing new games like they did before, I don't see the problem. The only issue I have is that Nintendo likes to announce games a few months before they release, making it difficult to say what the rest of the year is going to look like. So all we can do right now is just wait and see.

Octane

Kidfried

Octane wrote:

Look, their current line-up is looking pretty bleak. I don't care about Fire Emblem, and I've said enough about all the lazy, overpriced Wii U ports. Kirby and Yoshi don't look bad, but at €60 I can easily leave them. Anything that's remotely excited is still more than a year away, and I'd be the first person to admit that I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for them to announce something good in the near future that's more than a ''now in development'' announcement.

@Octane I think this is such a fair point you raise. The prices they are asking are just so high in comparison to what the rest of the market is doing. Okami HD (fully remastered) released on PS4 for 20, Shadow of the Colossus (fully remade!) released on PS4 for 40. And then Nintendo... Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (a mere port) releases for 60, the same price as these two combined.

I really enjoyed Tropical Freeze and I think many agree it was one of Wii U's standout games, but it's so very consumer unfriendly to charge that much for the same game.

And I have the same complaint for many of the games they announced. Kirby and Yoshi look like fun, but 60? It just feels so expensive.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but fair enough! At least we agree on something!

I just don't think this year would've been any different without Labo.

Octane

Kidfried

@KratosMD I bought a Wii on launch and it was the sole console I played on until... 2008 or 2009. I just got so burned out on gaming. And I recall thinking "Am I just getting too old for this?" Holding a regular again after two years of waggle rejuvenated my interest in gaming.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Octane Haha, sorry. I now see how my post looks in the context of the Labo discussion, but I agree with you on the bigger point you were raising in your post as well. Like the Wii U ports, Labo is only a part of their release strategy for the Switch.

I don't think the line-up for Nintendo Switch looks too bleak anyway. They're never going to match last year's line-up, but Bayonetta 3, Project Octopath, Metroid 4 and No More Heroes are all looking to be fresh experiences.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried It's still early. I got you confused with KratosMD I think. So I'm sorry if my reply seemed a bit off as well!

On the topic of the actual line-up itself. Bayonetta 3 and Metroid aren't 2018 titles unfortunately. But hey, at least a Metroid game is coming. It's been way too long since the last one.

I don't understand the pricing of their 2D platformers. That's not to say a 2D platformer can't be €60. But they look so generic. Woolly World cardboard edition and another Return to Dreamland. The only difference is that Woolly World was €45 on the Wii U and we got a unique looking Kirby game for only €40! I loved those budget titles back then. But I'm not a huge fan of those franchises. I'll bite for a budget price, but I'd rather wait for a price drop when they're €60. Now a new DK, I'd get that day one for sure. Not the Wii U port though, I already own it.

@KratosMD Well, going back to your previous post, I think that the January presentation of last year, and the games like ARMS and 1-2-Switch pretty much confirmed we were going to see more 'gimmicks' and games with different controls. I never bought the Switch thinking I was buying a 'hardcore' handheld gaming tablet. It's a Nintendo console after all, they're always going to do something silly. And yes, maybe more than Sony or Microsoft would do, but I don't think it means that they can't release good (traditional) games in addition to their Labo projects and whatever else they have planned.

Like I said, I want to see what the other peripheral is before I can make a comment on it. I also think it would be backwards for Nintendo to focus too much on the gimmicks when it's clear that games like Mario and Zelda outsold 1-2-Switch several times. They know what people want. Or at least, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.