Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 61 to 80 of 112

Th3solution

Another quarter of the year down, time for a midway reckoning on the year’s goals.

I’m so glad 2020 is over halfway done. What an awful year this has been.

Anyways —

1) Complete 20 games
I picked up the pace this quarter and am back on track. 12/20 done.
2) Use my Vita more and complete at least 4 games.
I played some Vita last month but then the PS4 beckoned too strongly and so I’ve not been playing it lately. I don’t think I I’ll hit this one.
3) Play at least one AAA game at launch.
Got a launch copy of Ghost of Tsushima and have been playing it since the first week. I’ve been loving it so far and enjoy being able to participate in the buzz of a new game.
4) Play a Sports game, a FPS, a Soulsborne, and a Racing game.
NBA2K, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Jedi: Fallen Order, and Horizon Chase Turbo. 4 for 4 on this one. There’s a good chance I’ll squeeze in another FPS and maybe another Soulsborne before the end, but I’m giving myself credit already for what I’ve already done.
5) Be better about cleaning my PS4. Once a quarter.
Last month I did a thorough cleaning, with the full opening up and cleaning the fan. It wasn’t as dirty as I thought it might be, so once a quarter is way too often for this to be necessary for me. Maybe 1-2 times a year. I’ll give myself a partial credit credit here.
————
Non-gaming goal:
Exercise ...Still not exercising anything except my thumbs.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Purchase no more than seven new full-price retail titles over the course of the year.

I think I can still stick to this.

Purchase no more than eight older/indie releases over the course of the year.

Haha. No.

Complete 20 games from my backlog over the course of the year. This only counts games I purchased before January 01, 2020.

Probably won't be doing this. My focus has been on knocking out new games I've bought. And I've bought way more than I expected to.

Fully complete Horizon: Zero Dawn's Frozen Wilds DLC and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's two DLC expansions.

HZD is, of course, done. Done with TW3 and Hearts of Stone. Just need to complete Blood and Wine.

Complete a second playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

No closer to doing this.

Complete second playthrough of Resident Evil 2 (Claire route) and the unlockable Hunk and Tofu modes.

Ditto.

Complete the Post-Game content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, including all side-quests and all extra 2D mode content via Tickington.

Ditto.

Complete at least half of the games you buy in 2020.

It'll be way more than half. If nothing else, I've not been allowing new games to collect dust in a backlog.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

crimsontadpoles
  • Reduce my backlog: Just About On Track
    There's slightly fewer games in my backlog than the start of the year. Sales have been making this tricky though. I have completed some long games, so I'm probably doing better than what the numbers indicate.
  • Play a Yakuza game: No Progress So Far
    Haven't played any of them yet, but Yakuza 0 is right at the top of my list of what to play next.
  • Play Red Dead Redemption 2: Nearly Done
    Been playing it, and I'm right at the end now. So this goal will very soon be complete.
  • Play a Persona game: Completed
    That's technically done, as I've finished Persona 5 Dancing earlier this year. However, I've been wanting to play the original Persona 1, and will be disappointed if I don't get that played this year.
  • Give my PS Vita some more love: Halfway There
    I did complete Sly 2, so that's one game. Completing one more game (probably Persona 1), and this goal will technically be complete, even if only 2 games is still a bit disappointing.

So overall, the goals are still achievable for me, though I'm slightly behind where I ought to be right now. As long as I start playing Yakuza 0 and Persona 1 before too long, and don't go wild buying games, then it'll all be good.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles You going for the original PS1 Persona or the PSP remaster?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles I honestly thought the original was available on Vita but a quick check proved me wrong. The original’s translation is atrocious anyway, the remake is a lot better and actually includes an entire arc that was cut from the PS1 translation. A lot of people prefer the original’s soundtrack but I prefer the PSP one because it goes for the same J-Pop feel as the later games. If I wanted to play a SMT game then I’d be playing one!

TheFrenchiestFry

@crimsontadpoles The PSP remake of Persona 1 is literally the only way to properly play the English release. The OST is worse imo as it doesn't fit the game's tone at all, but the translation is significantly better and it isn't missing the half of the content that was cut from the original Revelations Persona release on PS1

Same goes with Persona 2 Innocent Sin. PSP version is best version

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

mookysam

Update!

• Get five platinum trophies. Done! I've actually got seven platinums so far this year so am pretty pleased to have already achieved this goal and then some.
  • Play Trails of Cold Steel. It's in my Vita and ready to play after a few smaller titles. This is doable!
  • Get up to date with the Tales series. Finished Tales of Hearts R but haven't got much further. With Arise delayed into next year this isn't the priority it was when I originally made this list.
  • Play and complete Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Not yet started. Shall do soon!
  • Play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V. I've finished Peace Walker, so am halfway to achieving this one! I actually doubt I will play MGS V this year, but do aim to play Revengeance and perhaps Ground Zeroes before the year is out.

In all I haven't done too badly so far. With almost five months left I have a reasonable shot at achieving a few more goals.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

Oh dear, I’ve not done well. I was supposed to play Horizon and Judgment and I’ve finished neither. I at least beat DmC4 but to be fair, I’ve played and finished loads of other games that I normally would have dropped.

Anti-Matter

Achieved
1. Have purchased New 3DS XL PAL version (Got Fire Emblem White Black edition) from Tokopedia.
2. Have almost 20 PS3 games within 8 months.
3. Have collected ALL Ratchet & Clank games (PS2 for Deadlocked +Size Matters, All Ratchet & Clank PS3 games including the Very Rare Trilogy edition, Secret Agent Clank PSP version, Ratchet & Clank PS4 version) before 1 year.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Anti-Matter Congratulations! And with just under four months to spare!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

@RogerRoger
My target is getting until 25 PS3 games on next year. 5 more games.
I was so Lucky to get All Ratchet & Clank games from PS2 until PS4 + PSP before 1 year. 😄

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Anti-Matter Yeah, as somebody who frequently goes looking for copies of old games, I can appreciate how finding all of those Ratchet & Clank games would've been pretty lucky. Nicely done!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

@RogerRoger
These are All my Ratchet & Clank games i took picture just now.
Untitled
I have the finished the storyline for Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, R&C 2 Trilogy, R&C 3 Trilogy, Into the Nexus and PS4 version.
All 4 One was very boring.
QForce was too hard for Tower Defense style.
R&C 1 Trilogy was too primitive.
I rarely touched Secret Agent Clank as PSP version have no Right analog button that was very important to change the camera angle. I will get the PS2 version as optional.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Anti-Matter Cool collection!

Yeah, some of those bigger PSP releases that got PS2 ports are usually worth tracking down. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSP but there's no denying things like Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier and the two Syphon Filter games run much better, and are easier to control, on PS2.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

The year is almost over and soon we will usher in 2021 with a new set of goals. I figure now might be as good a time as any to review how I’m doing with 2020’s. There’s still time to make a final push to accomplish my goals.

1) Complete 20 games
Amazingly, I’m right on the precipice of achievement here with 19 games complete this year, with 3 in progress. Starting with The Last Guardian in January, I’ve played some real treasures in 2020. I feel like I’ll give myself credit for this one.

2)Use my Vita more and complete at least 4 games
This is going to be my biggest failure, as so far I’ve only completed one on Vita, Danganronpa V3, with maybe another half credit for a partial Undertale playthrough. But at least I pulled my Vita out from hibernation, so the goal wasn’t all in vain.

3) Play at least one AAA game at launch.
Accomplished this with Ghost of Tsushima. I really enjoyed playing with the launch crowd. I think I’ll try to do this again in 2021 with one or more select titles that I’m looking forward to.

4) Play a Sports game, a FPS, a Soulsborne, and a Racing game.
I accomplished this as well. NBA2K, DOOM, Jedi Fallen Order, and Horizon Chase Turbo. Counting Fallen Order as my Soulsborne is my biggest stretch, but I’m giving credit.
Interestingly, I think this goal prompted me to be more varied in my gaming and I really explored outside my usual comfort zone of genres and found several really outstanding gems that I enjoyed because of it.

5) Be better about cleaning my PS4. Once a quarter.
Once this year, but actually that’s plenty as it turns out.
————-
Non-gaming: exercise.
Well, I didn’t do any exercising, but I’ll blame COVID for that. I would have gone to the gym everyday this year to work out if not for COVID 😏

I can’t say I’m sad to see 2020 almost over.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

crimsontadpoles

Here's how I'm getting on with my goals:

• Reduce my backlog: High chance of failure. Currently my backlog has increased by 3 games. I'm very nearly done with a couple of games, and there's a couple more I could complete with a final push. So it's possible for me to succeed here, if I don't succumb to any sales. Unfortunately, the PS sales and Steam sales will likely beckon me, and I'm already seeing a few discounts on my Switch wishlist that are solely tempting.
  • Play a Yakuza game: Completed Yakuza 0. There's a bit more of the cabaret club and karaoke minigames I want to do, but I'll be finished with that in a day or two.
  • Play Red Dead Redemption 2: That's all done.
  • Play a Persona game: I've beaten both Persona 5 Dancing, and the PSP version of Persona 1.
  • Give my PS Vita some more love: Completed Sly Cooper 2 and Persona 1 on it. Would have liked to have played more games on it, but 2 games is good enough for this goal.
Ralizah

Didn't end up completing most of my goals, but I'm not unhappy with how thoroughly I played through my new purchases this year.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

I’ll hit 2800 miles on the bike by the end of the month, 200 off my target but I really lost motivation back in April/May. Generally a good result though, I managed a good few 60-70 mile rides in the last half of the year and I can say with (almost!) certainty I’ll top 3k next year.

Baring Covid-20 or something.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.