Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 41 to 60 of 62

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I'll borrow your word; it's the snobbery surrounding Sonic CD which winds me up, but that only started doing so long after I'd played it (like you, for the first time as part of the Sonic Gems Collection on PS2 back in my university days) and decided that it was just, kinda... eh. The whole must-travel-through-time-to-play-it-properly mechanic is just an unnecessary faff, a momentum-killing interruption in a series known for its blistering speed. As a result, its level design is severely lacking. I had more fun with the GameGear games they'd included on that compilation disc, frankly. And Sonic R.

I've covered some of that up, so as not to accidentally trigger or influence any pre-judgement on the part of those who've yet to play it. It's still Sonic, and there's still some good in there!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I think you've nailed it there. Now Sonic R, there's a game. Running, running and more running. As it should be.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

FullbringIchigo

@Thrillho buy the Royal Edition, it contains everything but Episode Ardyn

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho The game still felt complete to me and did not feel like I missing anything. There is certainly enough content in the main game to warrant just purchasing on its own.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

As soon as life and it’s necessary toils calms to low-grade bedlam, I’ll get my 2020 goals solidified.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

DonJorginho

My New Years Resolutions are as follows:

Keep my game purchases this year to these (FF7 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU 2, Dying Light 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima.), this will mean I will have more than enough to buy both consoles on launch If i want to aswell as a new 4K TV.

Finish my backlog! Am around 5 hours into The Witcher 3 and finished Jedi Fallen Order around Christmas time, after I complete The Witcher 3 I will go onto these few titles (Nier Automata, Metro Exodus and Horizon Zero Dawn.)

And finally, to take my time with games, as I find myself rushing through a lot of titles without really taking in what I am seeing and doing, I need to take my time similar to how I did with Death Stranding and how I am doing so with Witcher 3, I am having some of the most fun ever with games doing this kind of method of playing, so will look to continue this hopefully.

DonJorginho

Thrillho

@DonJorginho If you plan on taking your time with games and have just started Witcher with Nier to come, I don't think you'll even be getting onto games from 2020

Thrillho

johncalmc

Last year, my gaming resolution - and only resolution - was to Tweet out when I finished a game that I liked and thank the developer or whoever. I did it about four times and then totally forgot. But it seems like a nice idea because Twitter probably doesn't need any more hot takes about how awful everything is, and a bit of positivity to show devs that their efforts were appreciated might just make someone's day.

So I will try and remember to do this this year.

Also I might try and catch up on some old games I've never played. I'm currently playing Shenmue for the first time ever and it's really cool in a time capsule kinda way. Obviously it's rough in 2020, but there was a time when this was cutting edge, and it's nice to experience that. I'm hoping Nintendo does a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster for Switch because I never played those.

johncalmc

Twitter:

DonJorginho

@Thrillho You think so lol? Hmm maybe reducing my game purchases even further this year might be a smart idea aha

DonJorginho

KratosMD

DonJorginho wrote:

And finally, to take my time with games, as I find myself rushing through a lot of titles without really taking in what I am seeing and doing, I need to take my time similar to how I did with Death Stranding and how I am doing so with Witcher 3, I am having some of the most fun ever with games doing this kind of method of playing, so will look to continue this hopefully.

@DonJorginho I was actually just thinking about revising my entire list of resolutions and only include this one, what a coincidence.

Because what's the point of playing more games if you're not going to enjoy them to their fullest and make some nice memories. I've actually been playing a lot of long games lately, like Pokémon (60 hours), Death Stranding (40 hours), Trails of Cold Steel III (120 hours) and now Yakuza Kiwami 2 (30 hours). It's just nice to take your time with games and explore everything they have to offer, instead of just rushing through them just for the sake of going through your backlog.

KratosMD

DonJorginho

@KratosMD Exactly! Taking my time has been so beneficial as I am having stronger experiences with games than ever before rather than rush through the game as quick as possible so I can move onto the next.

I have spent around 60 hours in DS and have loved it, I took my time taking in the world around me, and would just walk aimlessly around the world to see all its terrain whilst listening to my favourite music, it actually was relaxing.

And with Witcher 3 me taking my time has been great, am around 5-6 hours in and am still on the Bloody Baron questline as have been taking in the scenery, levelling up and taking on the sidequests (which are hands down the best sidequest I have EVER seen in a game).

As @Thrillho said, with many games in my backlog being so lengthy I could easily see me not start Cyberpunk till around May or June, luckily my job allows me 13 weeks paid holiday so have enough time to play these games to the fullest!

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

johncalmc wrote:

Last year, my gaming resolution - and only resolution - was to Tweet out when I finished a game that I liked and thank the developer or whoever. I did it about four times and then totally forgot. But it seems like a nice idea because Twitter probably doesn't need any more hot takes about how awful everything is, and a bit of positivity to show devs that their efforts were appreciated might just make someone's day.

@johncalmc There's my vote for the most heartwarming resolution of the year. Regardless of the developers you contact, you've just made me smile!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

RogerRoger wrote:

johncalmc wrote:

@johncalmc There's my vote for the most heartwarming resolution of the year. Regardless of the developers you contact, you've just made me smile!

Great. Now I have to think of something horrible to do to balance it out :')

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho 5 - 6 hours and you are on the bloody Baron quest? Blimey, iirc it took me twice as long to reach that quest. Maybe I went off in the other direction and got to it much later in my play through.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder I did a few sidequests then made my way to his castle yeah aha, I am only on the first section of the quest where I just finished looking for clues inside the bedrooms.

DonJorginho

Rudy_Manchego

@johncalmc That is a actually a really cool idea. I did it for a couple of indie games I really liked this year (I think for Katana Zero and Mutazione) but I might do it for most games I like.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@DonJorginho Ha, well both games are impressively long and especially if you go for the Witcher DLC (which is highly worth it but I would suggest taking a break from the game to do them).

One word of caution with the stage of the game you're at, if you're after all the Gwent cards then be sure to get the unique card off the Baron. It was the only card I missed as I wasn't into Gwent at the time. If you are after them all, I recommend buying all the cards you can from inns around the map to help your deck.

Thrillho

Th3solution

Yikes! Two weeks into the year and I’ve yet to come up with some goals. I’ve been thinking about them, but haven’t put them in writing. And we all know, a goal not written is just a wish!

I’ve usually focused my goals on shrinking my backlog and expanding my horizons. I’ll keep to those same themes again, but I’ll put a different emphasis this year.

1) Complete 20 games

I’m not putting a limit on my purchases this year by shooting for a completion percentage, I’m just going to go for a raw number. This should be achievable, although it’s a little more than I’ve done the last couple years.
2020 is going to be a much stronger year imo for game releases, and so I know I’m going to be buying a lot of games, so I’m not even going to try to set a goal that discourages purchasing; only one that encourages playing them.
(And just like before, my definition of “complete” does not necessarily mean seeing the ending credits. As long as I play the game long enough to feel like I’m done with the game and can move it out of my backlog, then that counts. Sometimes that means only playing it for a few hours until I realize it doesn’t gel with me, and sometimes that may mean playing it for 100+ hours to finish it and achieve the platinum if I am thoroughly enjoying it.)

2)Use my Vita more and complete at least 4 games.

I haven’t touched my poor Vita in months. I’m not even sure it works. There aren’t many games left on my Vita backlog. I really want to close them out.

3) Play at least one AAA game at launch.

I vacillate about whether to buy big games at launch and lately I’ve been in the camp of waiting for reviews and price drops, but the flip side to this is that I miss out on the release window buzz when everyone is experiencing the excitement of a new release for the first time. So I’m going to take a plunge and play at least one of the big games with the masses — FF7R, Cyberpunk, TLoU2, GoT, etc... one or more of these I want to get and play at release.

4) Play a Sports game, a FPS, a Soulsborne, and a Racing game.

I picked four genres that I didn’t really play much in the last year. I’m still trying to avoid becoming too locked into my favorites and stretch out into new things.

5) Be better about cleaning my PS4. Once a quarter.

I’m pretty bad about this. I’ve been lucky so far but I’m sure it’s full of dust.

————-
Non-gaming goal:
Exercise.
... 😂😂😂
Aw yeah, that was a funny one. Like I’ll actually do that.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Simon_Fitzgerald

My resolution for this year is to get back into writing reviews/news for the site since I haven't written anything in quite a while. Other than that, maybe playing the big titles from the year before we reach the end of it so I can actually write a top 5 games of the year article.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic