Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 21 to 40 of 112

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, right. I was about to say why not just go straight into survival mode but that makes sense, cheers. I'd have been annoyed if I'd got halfway through and then permanently lost a companion...

Very much looking forward to playing this one!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

mookysam

@KratosMD I'm really excited to play Trails of Cold Steel and have been encouraged by how much you've enjoyed the games. I'll be sure to post my thoughts as I go.

@RogerRoger It's a series I'm looking forward to wrapping up, but also sad because I've enjoyed it so much, so I've put it off. I'm inclined to replay MGS4 simply because of how incredible I found it.
If you want to play games outside of your comfort zone, I'd recommend BioShock or something Final Fantasy.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

For the first time I kinda have what might be considered a decent backlog compared to my usual ethos of getting one game at a time.

My single resolution is to get through them all (Preferably without adding too many more to it)

• Iconoclasts
  • The Legend Of Dragoon
  • FF X HD
  • FF X-2 HD (Including Last Mission)
  • Sonic CD

Bit small I know but I'm going to restart a few games that I kinda left by the wayside (and never finished) at various points over the years of:

• FF XII TZA (Technically a cheat as I finished the PS2 version but I wasn't feeling this when I played this version)
  • Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter
  • Wild Arms 3
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • FF VIII

Of course for the ten titles listed this also means finishing off Divinity Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, Soul Calibur VI and Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night first. AND resuming my paused gameplay of Dark Souls II: SotFS and The Witcher III.

Plus I'd like to replay Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and actually get through Bitterblack Isle and maaaaaaybe replay Persona 3 FES too.

I'll also write reviews (Or impression pieces if I give up on any) for each.

... Not too crazy of a resolution... Hopefully.

Though I have listed six 50h+ rpgs just in the backlog... And Divinity at this rate may take me another sixty... ๐Ÿ˜‚

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I found it too easy on Normal difficulty after I reached character level 10 as my companions were destroying all the enemies, so I also set them to Defensive instead of Aggressive. I like you can tinker how each companion behaves and put points into their different abilities. The relevant trophy will unlock with whatever difficulty level you started the game with,

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@mookysam Funnily enough, I've been saying "I want to play Final Fantasy XV this year!" for the past couple of years, so maybe 2020 will be third time lucky. Thanks!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeesh, best of luck with Sonic CD. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

JoeBlogs wrote:

1. Don't buy things just because they're on sale and a good price - there's no point when I've already got so many games in the backlog I haven't got round to yet.

2. If I'm not enjoying a game, give up - I tend to finish games out of stubbornness. Why, when I could be spending my time on a better game or other more enjoyable activity?

@JoeBlogs Yep this is similar to me and your second point usually happens after I've just finished a big game. Sometimes I can play bits of several games before I find a game that clicks with me.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

... The fact that you @RogerRoger the sonic afficiando is saying "Yeesh" has me concerned ๐Ÿ˜‚

It was 89p in the recent sale and I had the change... It said online the Sonic Adventure 1 port was a bit broken so I chose this instead...

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Iconoclasts shouldn't take too long. Interested to hear your thoughts on it. I was... mixed... on the experience. Although there were aspects I really liked as well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh, for 89p you'll get your money's worth. If it had been 99p I might not have said that, mind. In all seriousness, Sonic CD is a very well-regarded Sonic game, and is the Holy Grail of the classic era to many. I simply can't stand it, s'all, and there's a small but vocal group of fans who would say similar. It's just gonna be interesting to see on which side of the fence you fall.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I can't say I feel as strongly as you, but after waiting years to play what I was told was the natural successor to the Mega Drive games, I finally picked up Sonic CD as part of the PS2 Sonic Collection and was massively underwhelmed by it. I thought it was just me, to be honest.

And I say this as a massive 2D Sonic snob, of course

Edited on by Gremio108

JohnnyShoulder

@JoeBlogs Think I got up to chapter 13 on FF15, when it stopped being open world before I gave up on it. I was kinda enjoying it up until then, although there were a lot of niggles which slowly wore me down, chapter 13 was the final nail in the coffin for me .

Thrillho

@JoeBlogs @JohnnyShoulder I was always super keen on getting FF15 but as they announced there'd be periodic DLC expanding the story, I felt like I was being cheated buying the base game before they'd done it. So now it turns out I'll never end up getting it as there's too much new stuff to try out now.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I'll borrow your word; it's the snobbery surrounding Sonic CD which winds me up, but that only started doing so long after I'd played it (like you, for the first time as part of the Sonic Gems Collection on PS2 back in my university days) and decided that it was just, kinda... eh. The whole must-travel-through-time-to-play-it-properly mechanic is just an unnecessary faff, a momentum-killing interruption in a series known for its blistering speed. As a result, its level design is severely lacking. I had more fun with the GameGear games they'd included on that compilation disc, frankly. And Sonic R.

I've covered some of that up, so as not to accidentally trigger or influence any pre-judgement on the part of those who've yet to play it. It's still Sonic, and there's still some good in there!

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I think you've nailed it there. Now Sonic R, there's a game. Running, running and more running. As it should be.

FullbringIchigo

@Thrillho buy the Royal Edition, it contains everything but Episode Ardyn

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho The game still felt complete to me and did not feel like I missing anything. There is certainly enough content in the main game to warrant just purchasing on its own.

Th3solution

As soon as life and itโ€™s necessary toils calms to low-grade bedlam, Iโ€™ll get my 2020 goals solidified.

โ€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.โ€

DonJorginho

My New Years Resolutions are as follows:

Keep my game purchases this year to these (FF7 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU 2, Dying Light 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima.), this will mean I will have more than enough to buy both consoles on launch If i want to aswell as a new 4K TV.

Finish my backlog! Am around 5 hours into The Witcher 3 and finished Jedi Fallen Order around Christmas time, after I complete The Witcher 3 I will go onto these few titles (Nier Automata, Metro Exodus and Horizon Zero Dawn.)

And finally, to take my time with games, as I find myself rushing through a lot of titles without really taking in what I am seeing and doing, I need to take my time similar to how I did with Death Stranding and how I am doing so with Witcher 3, I am having some of the most fun ever with games doing this kind of method of playing, so will look to continue this hopefully.

DonJorginho

Thrillho

@DonJorginho If you plan on taking your time with games and have just started Witcher with Nier to come, I don't think you'll even be getting onto games from 2020

Thrillho

johncalmc

Last year, my gaming resolution - and only resolution - was to Tweet out when I finished a game that I liked and thank the developer or whoever. I did it about four times and then totally forgot. But it seems like a nice idea because Twitter probably doesn't need any more hot takes about how awful everything is, and a bit of positivity to show devs that their efforts were appreciated might just make someone's day.

So I will try and remember to do this this year.

Also I might try and catch up on some old games I've never played. I'm currently playing Shenmue for the first time ever and it's really cool in a time capsule kinda way. Obviously it's rough in 2020, but there was a time when this was cutting edge, and it's nice to experience that. I'm hoping Nintendo does a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster for Switch because I never played those.

johncalmc

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.