Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,073

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah for me i can only watch certain shows dubbed mainly because i'm blind in one eye and it's hard to watch a fast moving show and read the subtitles at the same time, i can either watch it and have no idea what anyone is saying or read it and not see what's going on

besides a lot of dubs now a days are done pretty well, it's not like the old days where it was all about cranking them out as quickly and cheaply as possible there is a lot more care and effort put in now

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Heavyarms55

@RR529 The thing about the last arc of the anime was that there was one more canon arc in the Manga, and while I kinda liked the general idea of it dealing with the Quincies, Ichigo's mother and so on it was so poorly executed that I can see why they didn't bother with it.

Bleach introduced and tried too follow way too many characters and honestly Kubo was pretty bad at pacing. I remember the mange occasionally taking months to get through a fight, so once we got back to another area with different characters, you had to go back and re-read several chapters from months earlier just to remember what they were doing... Still, the anime and manga gave us some cool fights and visuals. And the anime had some killer music at times. I did love that "stand up stay strong" song they played during major fights.

@KratosMD I have to say it's nice to see someone else who enjoys SAO. A lot of people jumped on the hate bandwagon after its initial popularity - and although I do understand some of the complaints people have - I really like it myself too! Next season starts this fall but you've got a ways to go before that.

I've played two of the games - Hollow Realization and Fatal Bullet. Neither game is ground breaking or anything but I really had fun with them. Keep in mind that the games follow their own canon, it is generally similar to the anime canon but there are more than enough differences that it doesn't just feel like you are following a game version of the anime. I honestly prefer the game canon because there is more content and side characters remain relevant to or at least involved with the story, rather than just joining Kirito's cheer-leading squad. lol

@Ralizah I only have a few students here in Japan who are interested in Demon Slayer. My Hero Academia seems more popular, at least among my kids. I should ask them what they think of the coward. I know his name but that's how much I dislike him.

I watched Ruroni Kenshin years ago and remember liking it, but it's been a long time. It was one of the first "not quite mainstream" anime I watched.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I'm glad I'm not a fan of anime dubs, because the Vic Mignogna case, in particular, is probably the closest thing we've seen to an AnimeGate. Lots of anger and ridicule and conspiracy theories.

Looks up what's gone on. Sighs

Damn

I really liked Vic as Junpei Iroi in Persona 3. He really had him down to pat, friendly and likeable but that touch of jealousy thanks to the protagonist's better powers Plus everything involving Chidori was great too

Plus I just started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and he really puts in a good preformance there as Edward Elric too...

The Fullbring arc was disastrous on every level to me @RR529 . Just pure awful.

UK Netflix only has up to season 3 of Bleach Saving Rukia from Soul Society

... Luckily I managed to read the rest of it. Binge reading certainly makes the arcs quicker though Tite definitely has a bit of a pacing problem.

Also I heard it wasn't cancelled but Tite was actually sick/had major health concerns so that's why the ending was rushed (And also awful)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RR529

@KratosMD, I kinda slipped out of SAO after the Gun Gale arc, but I enjoyed what I've watched of it.

I've been interested in trying one of the games but decided to start with that .Hack G.U. collection first (both because .Hack seems to be the progenitor of the "MMO anime" genre, and they're Namco Bandai developed games as well), but I'm really trudging through them at a slow pace (I think I've been playing for about a month and have yet to finish the first one).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD the games are kind of a What if story and have nothing to do with the show/manga/light novels, it basically starts with having beat the "final boss" the game didn't end like it should have and they are still trapped in there

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Heavyarms55

@KratosMD You actually do play as Kirito for some of Fatal Bullet. But yes, most of the game you play as your own OC. I can understand why you don't like to shift in focus away from Kirito and Asuna, unfortunately if that is a deal breaker for you, then you might just want to quit while your ahead. While their relationship does become a core aspect of their character moving on, in both the games and anime, the focus does not remain, instead the focus shifts to different stories and issues. But Kirito and Asuna do stay together

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

RR529

Woot! Just won another anime figure on Toreba with today's free plays!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HallowMoonshadow

Any idea what you've won this time @RR529 ?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RR529

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy, the same type of Rei (Evangelion) figure I won the first time, but missed the delivery of.

Hopefully things go smoother this time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh well I hope it makes it's way to you successfully @RR529 !

RR529

Following on from my last post, the Rei figure I won came in recently!

Untitled

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FullbringIchigo

hey so Netflix just dropped an anime called Ultramarine Magmell and it's actually not bad, anyone else going to give it a go?

Untitled

HallowMoonshadow

Watched four episodes of Tokyo Ghoul today for the first time.

That certainly was something! I quite like the opening song. Hell it's a nice sequence overall if a bit on the nose symbolically at where it's possibly going. The animation as a whole is quite nice.

I'm a bit disappointed that Rize was killed off so quick... Buuuuut I'm liking the whole dual nature/she's a part of Kaneki's new ghoul aspect and trying to tempt him to give in. I do hope it carries on throughout.

Kaneki...Not too much else I can say about him. His circumstances are currently the most interesting thing about him to me.

Toko is how I'd thought she'd act being all cool and distant. Seems alright though.

Tsukiyama is... Well he's EXACTLY what I imagined he'd be like as soon as he entered at the end of the third ep. A rather good performance from his voice actor. Hammy as can be and then some!

The old guy investigator seems pretty interesting too as your typical oddball.

There's certainly some over the top imagery regarding the ghoul... elation though 😅

I'm still watching though so I'm enjoying it and interested in seeing where it leads.

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone think a Dark Souls fan would like Berserk? It's said to be one of Miyazaki's inspirations.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

WanderingBullet

Didn't know there was a Ni no Kuni anime. Was checking Netflix for latest shows and found out that its airing on 16th of January.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

FullbringIchigo

HEY any One Piece fans from the UK here, i might have some news to interest you

after a YEAR of no news Manga UK have finally said something about the lack of One Piece release

they are restarting next month with Collection 21, hopefully they will bring over the missing movies too

nessisonett

I’ve never been happier that I have UK Netflix. Great news, now I can get round to watching ones like The Wind Rises that I haven’t seen yet. Or, I could watch Grave of the Fireflies again, which I have made a point never to watch again because I just can’t cope with it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

WanderingBullet

@nessisonett Grave of the Fireflies isn't listed.

Personally, I love Ghibli's works. They've made a lot great and good movies as well as some decent ones but I don't think they've made a bad one, yet.

My favourites amongst the ones listed:
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
Pom Poko (1994)
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008)
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
The Wind Rises (2013)

If they're available in my country, I might watch some of them in English dubbing this time around since I've watched most of them in Japanese.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic