Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,073

WiiWareWave

Is anyone else looking forward to the new seasons of Seven Deadly Sins and Sword Art Online which are airing later this Winter?

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Ralizah

There's an anime adaptation of Junji Ito's work apparently airing in January. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Hapuc

@ReanSchwarzer7 I heard Alicisation Arc is the best in SAO and yes very much excited for Seven Deadly Sins as much as Fate/Extra.

Hapuc

Fight_Teza_Fight

I like stacking up my chapters so I go months if not years without reading a manga.
I recently got caught back up in it. Been reading the 'Tower of God' every night for the last month straight. Currently on Season 2, Episode 242 (webtoon/manhwa). I think it's the most consistent manga I've ever read. Completely engrossing.

I've had people recommend me Seven Deadly Sins and My Hero Academia & I'm interested, because they have games coming out, but I really don't have the time anymore for TV let alone anime...

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

FullbringIchigo

Untitled
Untitled

(come on it's not that hard ^_^ )

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

WanderingBullet

Looking forward to some of these anime this year.

• One Punch Man (Season 2)
  • PERSONA 5 the Animation
  • Attack on Titan (Season 3)
  • FLCL 2
  • Angolmois
  • The Seven Deadly Sins (Season 2)
  • A.I.C.O -Incarnation-
  • Mary and the Witch's Flower (Movie)

Oh, and there's also a new Fist of the North Star CGI anime called Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis (Souten no Ken: Regenesis) which I've just found out about today. Looks decent.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

Looks like Kyokai no Rinne finally finished it's run with 398(?) chapters. Not sure if I'll be able to read it all, but I did enjoy what of it I have read (and watched of it's anime, which was cancelled after the 3rd season).

I'm looking forward to whatever Takahashi comes out with next, but I kinda hope she retires from long running series (she's in her 60's) and instead focuses on the occasional mini-series (I'd really like to see her briefly return to Ranma or InuYasha with a "what they're up to X years later" kinda deal, however unlikely).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

@KratosMD, KuroMakuro is definitely my favorite of the "Netflix Original" anime.

My only real gripe with it is that it's ending is pretty inconlusive, but that seems to unfortunately be the norm for anime these days.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sorry for the double post, but just today the live action Fullmetal Alchemist film that released in Japan last year popped up on Netflix (in the U.S. at least) as an exclusive.

I thought it was a pretty decent take on the story. Obviously story concessions had to be made due to it being a film, but it followed the early parts of the story pretty faithfully, and left itself open to continuing the story. The only complaint I could lay against it is that they tried too hard to capture the look of the anime in parts (some actors looked like they were cosplaying their character, rather than "being" them, if that makes sense), but that's a pretty small complaint in the grand scheme of things. Even the computer effects looked good for the most part (and when they were off, it again could be in part because they were trying to get something to look like it would in the anime). The transmutation effects were generally pretty great though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jaz007

I just watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. It was pretty good. I'm excited to watch the rest of it. Not as gory so far as people make it out to be. Seen a few of those with anime. I know it's just going to get better too, the first episode was really just setting up the rest of the series.

Jaz007

Tasuki

@RR529 As.much as I like FMA the cast choice of the live action one just turns me off. FMA gave me a more European feeling in the anime like German or Austrian, but the fact that the live action uses Asian actors just kills that feeling for me. Another great Anime ruined by becoming live action.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki it's supposed to take place in an alternate Germany

what i find strange is that when America does a live action anime film like say Death Note and uses American actors it get's accused of white washing but when Japan does one and uses Japanese actors for in this case European characters nothing is said

both are doing the same thing yet for some reason it's only wrong for one side to do it, if it's wrong for one then it's wrong for all

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RR529

Eh, the race of the actors doesn't bother me too much.

Western live action efforts tend to retell the story in a wesrern/multicultural setting (so there really shouldn't be a reason for everyone to be Japanese), but they tend to get into trouble for reinventing the story so much that it doesn't even resemble the original (looking at you, Dragon Ball Evolution).

Meanwhile Japanese efforts simply don't have the budget of a Hollywood film, which is fine if the film takes place in an Asian setting, but in the case of something like FMA, it'd probably a big ask to find a bunch of western actors who fluently speak Japanese (the film was primarily made with the Japanese market in mind), none of which would have the star power to carry the film.

Overall I think most anime is too stylized to effectively translate to live action (compared to western comic books, which tend to be more grounded in art style, making it easier for them to find a middle ground bridging the gap between how they look in ink, and how they'd look in real life).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FullbringIchigo

@RR529 personally i don't see the need to make anime live action at all, it's already in the perfect medium, the one it was designed for

there is no need to do live action versions at all

BranJ0

I've only recently just started watching anime, but I just finished Death Note, which is insanely good, and has already shot to near the top of my favourite TV shows ever list - just one of the most clever plots I have ever seen.

I've also started watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which I'm also enjoying a lot, although certainly not as much as Death Note.

Any other anime suggestions would be really appreciated!

BranJ0

RR529

@BranJ0, I may be dating myself a bit here, but some of my top picks would be Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Eureka 7. I'd also suggest you at least try Dragon Ball/Z, but due to the large time sink involved, I can understand not wanting to jump into it so soon.

As for something newer, I really liked KuroMukuro & Knights of Sidonia, both of which are on Netflix (at least here in the States). Don't get the chance to watch them extensively, but I've also taken to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure & Hunter X Hunter. I also quite liked Sword Art Online, especially the first season.

In terms of film, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Summer Wars are must watch, and you can't go wrong with some Ghibli films, like Spirited Away & Princess Mononoke (haven't seen the latter myself, however). I also personally really enjoyed Expelled From Paradise.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FullbringIchigo

Viz just released the latest Chapter of Dragon Ball Super and the Tournament of Power has started, once again it's completely different to the anime and i'll be honest this time i think the Anime did this bit better

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/dragon-ball-super-chap...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic