Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,073

Jaz007

I watched the first four episodes of Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign. I'm very impressed so far. It's kinda like AoT with Vampires. Anyone who liked AoT should watch it.
@FullbringIchigo: I think it was Card Captor Sakura. A great anime for sure.

Jaz007

FullbringIchigo

@TripleGK: i used to record DBZ off TV on to VHS!!! (man i feel old) i still have them and i got most it up to the Buu Saga AND it was the Ocean Group/Blue Water Dub

also got most of the Blue Water Dub of DBGT too ^_^

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@TripleGK: yeah i remember when we used to get Anime on TV here, such great times

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RR529

As for my first anime, it was probably DBZ. I stumbled upon Toonami when it very first started airing back in 1998 after school. Usually my older bro would have control over the TV, but he saw me watching DBZ and was intrigued, because he thought it looked more serious/edgy than the cartoons he grew up with (that, and ReBoot was on right before it, a saturday morning cartoon from when he was younger), so it's something we started watching together everyday.

Fun fact, during the first year of Toonami, the block's host was Moltar (the evil arch enemy of an old cartoon superhero called Space Ghost) in his lair. It wasn't until it's second year that they introduced T.O.M. (the robot that still hosts it today, even though he's had some redesigns over the years).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

A few nights ago I finished up an anime called The Sacred Blacksmith. Pretty average medieval style fantasy story revolving around magical "demon" swords, and an unspeakable evil who may soon reawaken into the world. While generic, it wasn't bad, as it was animated nicely and I liked the more grounded character & world design (I'm not huge on the more zany/silly looks many popular modern anime adopt, like One Piece, Fairy Tail, Soul Eater, Kill la Kill, & Gurren Lagann). My biggest complaint was that it was only 12 episodes long, and it was clear they were intending it to last longer. While they solved the immediate issue at hand, there were still quite a few plot threads left unresolved. Still worth a look if you're interested in a more traditional fantasy story (if you don't mind a brief fanservice scene every other episode).

Tonight, I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam 00, and it already has me hooked. I've seen some of it before back when it was on Sci-Fi's now defunct Ani-Monday block 5 or 6 years ago, but never saw how it ended.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo: Ohhh nice question, tough to answer but I will try.

Transformers, gundam and fist of the north star. I really shouldn't of watched fotns gave me nightmares as I was 7ish. I am 34 so it was a while ago.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

It's Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - Only saw the last few minutes, in which Frieza was attaining 100% of his power. I must say, this very first interpretation of the Super Sayain transformation is my favorite. Instead of a set of rigid spikes, Goku's hair is in a constant flowing state (even if just slightly at times), and the core color actually looks much more like gold than yellow, with the bright yellow highlights being more like an effect of the light shimmering off of it.

Akame ga Kill - Next week looks to be really good, as they're about to face off against their rivals. We got a little bit of a calm before the storm this week, with the obligatory beach episode.

Parasyte: the Maxim - Wow, Shinichi really is starting to act more parasyte like. I wonder if he's going to start to struggle holding on to his humanity in the future. Also, we have a new enemy, but we don't know his aim yet.

Michiko & Hatchin - Ugh, they were soooo close to Hiroshi, they could see him!!! (I really want to know why he's constantly on the move) At least that a**hole Satoshi finally got what he deserves.

Naruto Shippuden - This episode was just a lot of buildup to future events (Naruto getting ready to train, some of his friends looking for the villain, etc.).

One Piece - Okay, a fight between two side characters I know jack squat about since Toonami started this series 200-something episodes in... Looks to be important to the next arc, though.

Also, there was a promo confirming Adult Swim is going to revive Samurai Jack (like new episodes, and not just show the old ones). It's coming in 2016, and though they didn't infer whether or not it'll be on Toonami (and even though it's not an anime), due to the series' history, I don't see it going anywhere else.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jaz007

I just finished watching an anime called Moonphase. It's an anime about a occult photographer who finds a mysterious vampire girl in a haunted castle, though the castle part only takes up a couple episodes. I loved it. Hazuki (the vampire) is so cute, and the relationship between her and Kouhei (the photographer) is so sweet. I'm really disappointed that it never got a second season, and didn't fully complete the story - it didn't end a serious cliffhanger though. I hate how so many animes only get one season that doesn't even fully resolve the story right now lol. Overall though, I'd definitely recommend it.

Jaz007

RR529

It's Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - Finally, some real battle between Super Sayain Goku & Frieza! (I've missed the show, other than a bit of a standoff at the end of last week's episode, these past few weeks, so this got me pumped)

Akame ga Kill - Pretty good fight episode tonight. A bit of a battle royale.

Parasyte: the Maxim - Things are really starting to get interesting, as it looks like knowledge of the parasites is starting to become widespread, even putting Shinichi's classmates in even more danger than ever.

Michiko & Hatchin - While it didn't end quite like I'd have hoped, it still ended up being pretty feel good, which I always like to see.

Naruto: Shippuden - Look's like Sasuke is pretty bada**. Also, one of those frogs sounds just like South Park's Towelie...

One Piece - Looks like the gang is about to hit a bump on the road on the way to their next destination. Also, now that they've showed it off a bit more, I'll admit their new ship is kinda cool.

Also Next week will be a DBZ Kai marathon (and will also see the conclusion of the Invader II event), in two weeks they'll have a One Piece marathon, and when the lineup returns to normal 3 weeks from now, they'll be introducing Samurai Champloo to the block (replacing Michiko & Hatchin).

They've actually shown Samurai Champloo before, but it's been years since they've last aired it (like 7 or 8 years ago).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

@Jaz007: Finally had the chance to enjoy psycho-pass on Tuesday episodes 3-6.

Man that is messed up and really dark. I can't say I'm enjoying it - its too sick. The school girl bit was too dark and too disturbing, that other art girl is insane. Obviously the big reveal is yet to come but the third party behind the scenes colluding to get potential murderers the tools or knowledge to commit crimes is pretty neat. I'm sure my wife now believes I'm a closet emo after making her watch that.

Jaz007

@themcnoisy: I wanna say that's the darkest part of the series, but I can double check tomorrow if that would help. I mean, it's still dark, but not cut up teenage school girls, turn their dead bodys into dolls and then make demented art with them dark

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007: Yeah.... Thanks man. That was really disturbing. My wife's a nurse manager in sexual health and she thought it was appalling. Onwards and upwards I think...

WanderingBullet

I stopped watching Psycho-Pass after episode 4 (its the one with online avatars episode) I think. It just wasn't for me. That was two years ago, this I year I watched the movie and I didn't like it either.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Jaz007

@themcnoisy: I'm looking at Pysco-Pass's episodes, and I'm pretty sure it never a gets as demented again. There are some violent murders, but that's all they really are, it pretty much resumes the kind of stuff happening before the case you don't like started. Two things to note though: the case you're disturbed by doesn't end until episode 8, and I haven't seen episodes 23-33 yet since I didn't know they existed until recently. The series feels complete even without those 11 episodes if there's something that will make you not want to watch them though.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet: It makes sense in episode 6 just what's going on. episode 4 were the avatars are in conflict was rubbish however it falls into place during episodes 5 and 6. I wouldn't want to spoil the series for you but the main hunter in the team was the boss at one point - but couldn't solve a case were his best friend died. He was demoted due to his psycho pass score. He's still working on the case and the murders so far are all linked.

@Jaz007: Don't worry man, I'm not too fussed. Will watch the rest of the next few episodes over the next few days. I just think girls being murdered in a boarding school is too grim and its not really a subject any of us should be comfortable with. Maybe it could of been older university students or something.

themcnoisy

@Jaz007: Happy to report episodes 7-12 have been brilliant so far. Getting into the nitty gritty. The hunt section was really well done. I know what I'm watching on Xmas eve now!!!

RR529

Finished up Gundam 00 (well, the first series anyhow).

Really great watch. It was animated beautifully, the action was great, and the story was interesting (the only thing I felt could have been done better was the pacing in the second half, where it seemed like things were moving too fast. New elements being presented and/or being resolved just as soon as you're getting used to them).

There is a second series, and while I'm really interested in where they're going to take it based on how this one ended, it looks like they'll pretty much have to rebuild the entire team. I'm going to be taking a little break from it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FullbringIchigo

i'm watching Sword Art Online again at the moment on Netflix

great series ^_^

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki: it's well worth it, trust me

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic