Forums

Topic: Goodbye/Vacation Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,065

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder something wonderful happened. The legend @Tasuki has got rid of him! I've just read the comments for a Death Stranding article and hes been deleted. Not that these things need celebrating but I have just let off a party popper! ibeagamer is now ibeagoner.

We lost too many good men to that virus.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Octane

I'm always afraid people leave because of my bad taste in humour

@Fullbringlchigo I hope that wasn't the reason! If not, just ignore the rest of the ''trolls''!

Octane

Ralizah

I've stirred the pot once or twice. Not intentionally, of course: if you have your own opinions and like to share them online, sometimes you're going to find your views are broadly unpopular with the community you're sharing them with. And that's fine. Thankfully, unlike a lot of communities online, you're at least allowed to have and share your own opinions here without fear of retribution from mods or admins. Try being the unpopular voice on ResetEra or half of Reddit.

It's also good for sussing out the people who are trolls (or who are so unreasonable and fanboyish that they're not worth talking to) and putting them on my ignore list.

@JJ2 You do know that you can disable those notifications, right?

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JJ2

@Ralizah
Yes. Should be off by default and sometimes it's useful but it becomes a nuisance before you realise. Maybe just one notification at a time until you check them out would be a good idea.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah Me too. But when every single article there's a comment to say 'buying on xbox' or 'Sony sucks your all fanboys' something has gone badly wrong. That's what has been happening in the comments recently.

I'm a big Sony fan. I'm a big gamer. But I wouldn't post on an xbox website saying 'buying on ps4' and then pretend to own my own xbox (my kids have one each and I never use them).

Here's the point I had enough of reading his comments and here's his responses towards the end of the comments.

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/jump_force

I'm not proud of having to call him out and actually thought he would change or at least put more effort in when he opened up about his life. But nope straight back on the offensive calling everyone fanboys in the latest articles.

There's a difference between someone wanting attention for the lols and someone with a valid point. It's not hard to find out you just have to press the right buttons.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy My experience with this site improved 1000x when I put a few of the annoying Sony fanboys here on my ignore list. Every community has them. Same with people who come to insult the focus of the website, as you described. Every community has those, too. Don't feel bad about blocking out comments from people like those. They don't know any better, and you're not obliged to deal with the irritation caused by their comments.

DerMeister

Now @FullbringIchigo is gone? Man, that sucks. He was great with RPGs and a veteran of the site. Please return one day, mate.

And yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed how toxic this site has been recently, especially with certain topics (Censorship and Crossplay being the most notable). I've wanted to start a crossplay discussion thread for a while, but the threat of the toxicity makes me stop from making it. I've thought of doing the same thing as Fullbring, but the good members here make this site fun for me.

It's irritating when I go to some articles and I can predict that it's going to suck in the comment section. There's always going to be a Sony basher, but the problem also lies with Sony fans at times. I know I'm gonna get it for saying this, but I feel like with the site's growth we've also attracted a few of the fanboyish types along the way. Now it's hard to have any critique for Sony or any PlayStation game without getting someone upset, even if it's a good natured critique (not bashing, because you can be critical of something you like). Even if you're a longtime PlayStation fan you'll probably get someone upset. It doesn't help that I personally tend to not agree with popular opinion, so I usually don't feel like dealing with any potential pushback and rarely comment on certain topics. That said, most of the problem is still with those who stir up trouble for the sake of it.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Octane

@kyleforrester87 You're like Fallout 76 to me; I wish it didn't exist, but alas, I have to deal with it.

Octane

Gremio108

The way I see it there are two types of people, generally speaking. Those who want to create and those who want to destroy. You lot have created a community to be envied, and so the bigger and better it gets, the more people want to come along and destroy it.

It's not really their fault. Whenever someone is a d*** it's always because at some point, somewhere along the line, someone has been a d*** to them. Guaranteed. I try to remember this when I encounter people like that. I'm guilty of winding them up from time to time, but really we should view them as a sign that this community is on the right track.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

If I quote this, it'll be at the top of a new page and more people will see it.

Gremio108 wrote:

The way I see it there are two types of people, generally speaking. Those who want to create and those who want to destroy. You lot have created a community to be envied, and so the bigger and better it gets, the more people want to come along and destroy it.

It's not really their fault. Whenever someone is a d*** it's always because at some point, somewhere along the line, someone has been a d*** to them. Guaranteed. I try to remember this when I encounter people like that. I'm guilty of winding them up from time to time, but really we should view them as a sign that this community is on the right track.

Words to live by from @Gremio108 there. Well said indeed.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 And there was me thinking you almost left cos of the lack of jam. Phew!

@themcnoisy That is good news. Good riddance troll.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 great comment mate. Well said.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 word. up. son.

@kyleforrester87 Is jam called jelly in America?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@Gremio108 Interesting perspective. Although, in reality, it's the easiest thing in the world to divide humans into opposing camps: free spirits vs control freaks; creators vs destroyers; the godly and the godless; etc. Humans tend to resist easy characterization, though, once you escape the convenient framing of a situation.

In the case of trolls, more often than not, they're not interested in "destroying" a community so much as winding it up. I know it's a thing now to characterize everything in stark, life-or-death terms, but trolls are what we would have used to call "mischievous." They're the little boy who likes to stick bugs in their sister's hair to watch her squirm and yell. Not people to be revered, certainly, but most people leaving annoying comments under video game articles aren't doing so for truly nefarious purposes.

Also, and this is likely just a difference in worldview between us: some people are just jerks. No tragic backstory required. I've known people who were blessed with kindness all around them, and they just... weren't... nice people. Sometimes the dice just land that way, unfortunately.

@Frigate Jell-O is one of those situations where the word has become synonymous with a brand. Like Band-Aids. At least in the United States.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @kyleforrester87 @Frigate I was always taught that jam is what you call it if it’s got actual chunks of fruit in it, and jelly is what it’s called if it’s just the spread made from the juices of the fruit and no actual chunks of fruit. And yeah, jell-o has got oodles of the gelatinous stuff so it stands up on its own and is more solid, and yes - like @Ralizah says, known as such after the company Bill Cosby made famous.
....At least that’s what they teach us in American schools during our culinary naming classes in grade school.
But we also call chips “fries” and chips are the crunchy potato or corn snacks that are thin sliced and fried. Heck, we even call football “soccer” which is apparently the most cardinal sin of all, so I’m not sure we will ever be able to effectively communicate with the rest of the world.

On topic - I do have to confess, I haven’t put anyone on “ignore” yet because I have a morbid curiosity to watch these trolls make fools of themselves, but I have been tempted to use the function a few times. The closest I came to hitting the ignore button was that dude that would always comment in that PlayStation Character tournament of Robert’s and criticize him every week and say that the characters shouldn’t be included because they weren’t exclusive to PlayStation. 🙄
Sad to see some great folks leave, but hopefully Fullbring and others come back.
Good to see you too @LN78 - I also miss your thoughtful and insightful comments.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic