Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 681 to 700 of 3,678

BAMozzy

@kyleforrester87 Its not really worth arguing about either way. If you enjoy those games, at least there are examples to play...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

kyleforrester87

@BAMozzy Yeah, turn based combat is one of those things you either love or hate. I enjoy the strategic element, but put that into a card game or something and it's an immediate turn off for me even though it's only a cosmetic adjustment.

Weird really.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

NathanUC

@WanderingBullet Yes! It's awesome! I've already gotten my Machinist to 70 and finished v1 and v2 of Omega (haven't tried 3 yet). It's amazing how they are still able to add content that feels fresh and unique. I'm super excited for the new housing area as well (that is, if I can be lucky enough to get a hold of a medium or large when it opens up).

FFXIV is the best Final Fantasy.

Edited on by NathanUC

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

WanderingBullet

@NathanUC That's great! I really want to get back into the FFXIV but my ping's quite bad.

I haven't played that many Final Fantasy games but my favorite's FFXIV as well, FFXII being second and third FFXV.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

NathanUC

@WanderingBullet Bummer about your ping. Have you tried switching to a wired connection instead of wireless (if applicable)? I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but if you're on a crowded server, they are allowing people to move to less crowded ones for free (plus lots of bonus incentives).

The EDF deploys!!

WanderingBullet

@NathanUC I played it when it on the PS3 back when FFXIV:ARR first launched. At that time, my ping (wired connection) was averaging between 150-230+ms if I remembered correctly. I played the game for about 8 months but stopped after that because the lag was affecting my end game dungeon raids and missions.

There's nothing worst then clearing an AOE attack (on my screen) only to take damage or die after that.

This happened to me quite often:
Untitled

Regarding crowded servers, I live in SE Asia and at that time there were only a few dedicated servers with English speaking players. I actually started playing on US servers but switch to Asia servers to reduce the ping.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

NathanUC

@WanderingBullet Somewhere around the middle of ARR (maybe like 2.4?) the Instance servers got a significant performance boost. That issue with Titan Hard/Extreme was one of the leading factors.

They also added a Eurpean data center that might help. I'm not sure which would offer a better connection though. (the Japanese Data Center, the European Data Center, or the NA Data Center) . Here is a list of centers and their IP for testing.

The EDF deploys!!

BAMozzy

@kyleforrester87 I didn't mind it 20+ yrs ago because it was new and when most other games were comparatively shallow of collect things, shoot things, jump things, most of the Turn Based combat was a compromise to fit more depth in story etc. Nowadays, you get that depth and real time combat so it seems out of place to me and takes me 'out' of the game into this stop and start 'combat' after some free flowing movement.

I don't enjoy Card games either on Consoles/PC's although I did spend quite a bit of time playing Patience and the odd Poker game (Anyone remember Sam Fox Strip Poker?? LOL) back in the 80's. Gwent in the Witcher 3 was one of the Side Quests I never had any desire to complete and hated Magic the Gathering.

I think its partly down to 'luck' rather than any skill - effectively the same as snakes and ladders - totally dependent on the roll of the dice. Its 'luck' if you happen to pick a block when your opponent goes for an attack or vice versa, luck (good or bad depending) if an attack misses. In Real time, at least if you get 'hit' you know its your fault for not blocking in time, not evading or getting too greedy and going for that 'extra' hit on the enemy. I feel more 'satisfaction' from beating any enemy because I out-manoeuvred and out-fought them in real time rather than picked the 'right' attack during my turn.

Anyway, that's how I feel and its a good job we all like different things so we end up more diversity...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

themcnoisy

@Wesker Final Fantasy 10 is great go buy it! The international sphere grid is the way to go bro, don't pick the easy one. Kyle's right the temple puzzles are laborious especially the conveyor belts but all in all its an amazing story. If you haven't read up on the story, please don't I would like to hear your take on what's going on.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy
Its actually good you got involved in this discussion as you have already made a great point inadvertently.

You dislike turn based games and much prefer real time games.

Final Fantasy 15 is real-time and you haven't bought it. Your as big an enthusiast gamer that exists on these forums, yet still didn't buy it.

I think in a nut shell it kind of proves what I felt long ago and @kyleforrester87 is making the point now, older ff fans prefer turn-based battles for ff. But we will take what we get as we love the series. None ff fans berated the turn based battles yet now the game is full on real-time they still wont buy the game.

Wesker

@themcnoisy Sounds good, I will give it a shot and try to keep going. I've given up on several FF games before because I've taken a break then not been able to get back into it. I only finished 13 because I found it very easy-going. You just press X a lot. I'm expecting a bigger challenge with 10.

Wesker

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy There are many reasons why I won't buy FFxv and it has nothing to do with the move away from turn based combat. Its the natural evolution for the franchise in my opinion but you also have take into account the series was in decline anyway and FFxv didn't launch without issues - especially for gamers on the Pro. The game is currently on 81 on Metacritic and 76 on owners score. Most reviews also say the 'story' is hit and miss - more miss than hit though.

5-6m in sales isn't bad but for a game as big budget and so long in the making, with a point to prove after 13 and the 'sequels/spin-offs', then that weird 'demo', it had to win back the fans it lost. I was never a target audience for Final Fantasy. I maybe a gamer but I openly say I have never been a fan of the Japanese RPG's. I guess Zelda is my limit but even Breath of the Wild has little appeal to me so I am not the target. I am sure they were hoping to attract the long standing fans back and try and appeal to newcomers to gaming - not old gits like me who are a bit more set in their ways. It also has to compete with the western RPGs the likes of the Witcher 3 for example and released in Nov around the time of the 'big' heavy hitters like CoD, BF1, Fifa as well as games like Dishonoured 2, Titanfall 2, the Last Guardian, Yakuza 6, Watchdogs 2 etc with games like RE7, Persona, Nier, Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn coming up in the new year to affect the long term sales of the game.

Like I said, performance has been criticised too on consoles. The Pro version in Particular. That's not going to help people who were undecided. For a game 10yrs in the making and needing to sell an alleged 10m copies to break even - it had to be spectacular, a master-piece and run perfectly. The Witcher 3 has one more Game of the Year awards than any other title and amassed over 800 awards since release yet sits on 6.62m (not including Digital sales) according to vgcharts (although its claimed more than 10m have been sold). Point is, if a game like the Witcher 3, even with Game of the Year awards etc barely makes it to 10m, FFxv was going to struggle unless it really was 'spectacular' and 'perfect'

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy So what would it take for you to buy the next final Fantasy?

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy Made in a western style with no chocobo racing or any other 'weird' Japanese setting/plot/characters etc - essentially more like the Witcher and a LOT less Final Fantasy

The world looks incredible and grandiose but the plot, game-play, characters etc just don't appeal to me - never have. I have tried several FF games in the past but never understood their appeal and 'great' visuals are not enough to tempt me in. If its the 'Final' Fantasy, how come there are always more?? LOL.

A 'dark' game, set in the backdrop of feudal Japan with 'monsters' - kind of like the Witcher 3 but in a big open world 'old' Japan with Samurai, Ninjas, Shoguns and of course traditional weaponry of that era like Katana's, Shurikens, etc would probably interest me a lot.

Edited on by BAMozzy

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy if it was more Witcher and a LOT less Final Fantasy then how would it be a Final Fantasy game?

Final Fantasy is it's own thing and it shouldn't try to ape other games or become them, if it does then it loses it's own identity and then what would be the point

if you want "A 'dark' game, set in the backdrop of feudal Japan with 'monsters'," then play a game like Nioh

if you want a game like The Witcher 3 then play The Witcher 3

if you don't want Chocobos or any " other 'weird' Japanese setting/plot/characters" then maybe you shouldn't be playing Final Fantasy or JRPG's in general

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 yeah i know @BAMozzy was answering a Question but i was just trying to point out that if that's the kind of things he wants then maybe Final Fantasy isn't the game series for him and that he should look elsewhere for the type of games he wants to play

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic