Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 3,693

nessisonett

@LtSarge In 7 you also have to use every character in the final dungeon. Also make sure you pick up Vincent and Yuffie as soon as you can, they’re essential.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett That's completely fine since there aren't so many playable characters in 7 compared to 6, lol. Will keep the last part in mind, thanks!

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I mean, technically there are 7 mandatory party members in VII, with 6 of those being available for the final dungeon and 2 optional. In VI, there are 10 mandatory party members, with 4 optional party members. But remember you only have 3 characters in a party, so I usually have 3 parties in the final dungeon on VII, same as I have in VI.

LtSarge

@nessisonett I just didn't like using a lot of the characters in VI besides the initial main team. Those painters for example were not appealing to me at all. I just hate it when JRPGs have too many characters and they force you to use all of them at the end. If it was optional to use them, then I would've been fine with it. But being forced to form multiple teams with all the characters is so annoying. It's the same thing in the Trails of Cold Steel games, which was pretty much my only major gripe with the titles.

LtSarge

Thrillho

@Th3solution I don't remember finding Motor Ball that difficult but it is a loooooong section if nothing else.

The good news is that on any replays you can choose to skip all of the motorbike sections! But good luck with the Biker Boy trophy if you want the platinum

Thrillho

johncalmc

Final Fantasy VII is really forgiving in that a) you can use any characters you like because the only things that really separate them are some slight stat changes and their limit breaks, and b) it doesn't matter anyway because the game is way easier than previous Final Fantasy games.

johncalmc

Twitter:

LtSarge

@johncalmc Yeah, that's the thing I've noticed with the characters in VII, i.e. they all feel pretty much the same and are in general very accessible unlike some characters in VI where you have to learn how to properly use them in battle. Cloud, Barret and Tifa are you standard fighters and feel great to use. Even Aerith feels great to play as even though I'm guessing she's supposed to be the healer/magic-user of the group. Although the game doesn't seem to go by any classifications, everyone can attack and use magic due to the Materia system, which makes the gameplay system even more accessible.

This is honestly a breath of fresh air for me after having tackled so many difficult FF titles in the past. I probably should've started with VII in all honesty, lol.

LtSarge

TraCuz-

@Th3solution Hmm I'm gonna guess you're in the Chapter 15-17 range?

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Thrillho

@LtSarge The only time I can remember it making a huge difference is that some more "melee" attack characters can't reach some enemies/bosses who can only be hit with magic or ranged attacks.

Moving materia between characters isn't too much of a chore as you swap party so little but the remake has one section where it's a nightmare constantly swapping your load out between members of your party.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Long Range materia usually goes on Red for me as Vincent/Barret have guns so I could stick them and Red in the back row and Cloud in the front row. Yes, I use the same party every single time I play.

johncalmc

@LtSarge I always recommend people start on VII or X because they're so easy to get into, even though neither are my favourite. I don't even really like X.

VII is a lovely JRPG though. It's comfort food to me. It's not really challenging that much but it pushes back enough that if you start messing around you'll get punished. It's a sunday afternoon chilling with a glass of wine RPG for me. Love it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@TraCuz- At the beginning of Ch 18, actually. Ch 14-17 have been fantastic. The long list of side quests was a bit cryptic in Ch 14, but once I explored around enough to unlock them all, then completing them wasn’t bad and ended up being pretty fun. I can see how some people may not have enjoyed it though and choose to skip the side quests. There’s some really nice gear and items though, as well as experience that you gain.

I really liked the end of Ch 15 and all of Ch 16. I agree that the story elements and cut scenes are really great. Something about the Shinra building just put a huge smile on my face at how beautiful it looked. And I absolutely love playing as Tifa. She’s so fun to run around and kick stuff with. 😄

If not for the driving section, I’d have called this a perfect crescendo up toward the ending. Of course, I haven’t seen the end yet (I’m not sure how long Ch 18 is) and I know it’s controversial, but I can’t imagine it will be at all disappointing after Motor Ball 😜.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Thrillho Ah, well that would explain why Barret did so much damage to the second boss fight in the game while Cloud and Tifa did very little damage with their melee attacks. Didn't know there were differences like that!

Being able to freely move materia definitely makes the game even easier. If one person runs out of MP for magic such as Cure, you can just give that materia to someone else with more MP and have that person heal instead.

On a side note, I've also noticed that the game heals you quite frequently as well after certain sections, which makes it even more easy! I seriously should've started the series with FF7 first lol.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LtSarge

So I just finished the Midgar portion of the original FF7 and holy crap, this game is something else! It's so different from the previous FF titles: it's a really chill game, the pacing is great, the areas are varied and it never feels like you're in a typical RPG dungeon but more like a natural place that you have to visit as part of the story, the graphics are obviously not the best but the fact that the series has now become 3D makes for more cinematic and immersive moments, and finally the characters are some of the coolest and most memorable FF characters I've ever seen. This is the first Final Fantasy that I actually care about the story and the characters. I seriously love this game so far, I've never experienced so much joy playing an FF title before.

What I don't get is how they took this 5 hour portion of the game and expanded it into a full-length title with the remake. I'm genuinely excited now to play the remake and experience more of Midgar.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I hate Midgar. It’s great the first time but by playthrough 12, I made sure to have saves handy directly after Midgar. I love how much more open it feels afterwards!

kyleforrester87

@LtSarge glad you’re enjoying it!

“What I don't get is how they took this 5 hour portion of the game and expanded it into a full-length title with the remake. I'm genuinely excited now to play the remake and experience more of Midgar.”

How? Why, they filled it with BS and fetch quests, of course!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Thrillho

@LtSarge Welcome to the “real” game now! (And be prepared for a section of very long dialogue coming up soon; so long that it actually gives you the option to “have a break” and save part way through..)

There is a lot of padding in the remake with lots of completely new sections but also some original areas, like the train graveyard, really expanded on. The remake version of Wall Market is quite spectacular though!

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it though. You’re closing in on your first summon materia soon too.

Thrillho

LtSarge

@nessisonett Well you would think that having experienced anything 12 times would get tiring, lol. I thought the Midgar section was a great "tutorial" and the linearity was rather refreshing for an FF title. But yeah, I'm looking forward to exploring the open world now.

@kyleforrester87 I take it you didn't like the remake that much then, lol. Although I can definitely see there being a lot of padding if you take something that was only 5 hours and expand it to 30+ hours. For me though, I just loved spending time in Midgar and hanging out with all these great characters. If they expand on the story portion then I think I'm going to really like remake. I played it a bit when it came out last year and I remember more scenes with Sephiroth and Aerith than there were in the original FF7, so that's really cool.

@Thrillho Haha, I'm guessing they needed to get the exposition part out of the way as soon as possible. I don't really mind that though, you spend so much time fighting in the Shinra building that doing something more relaxing afterwards is very much preferable right now.

Yeah I can definitely imagine there being a lot of padding but it's nice to hear that you get to explore new areas. I'm guessing these are the other sectors of Midgar that you didn't see in the original? I did find it weird that you only got to explore 2-3 sectors in the original FF7 when there are 8 in total.

LtSarge

johncalmc

I don't mind Midgar but it's definitely got you on a leash at that point. I much prefer the game once you head out into the world on your own. And Final Fantasy VII really does have some wonderful places to visit. My favourite bit of the whole game is not long after leaving Midgar - the Junon parade for Rufus.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic