Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 3,696

JohnnyShoulder

Thats ok Aerith, you just stand there and watch while a helicopter just crashes in front of you! 😒😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ApostateMage

On to chapter 14. My favourite part of the game so far was when Jessie slaps Wedge's injured arse and he cracks a joke that even makes Cloud laugh. Jessie is all, "was that a smile?"

ApostateMage

Nei

I am doing some hard mode only battles...tough stuff! The materia system is cool but some setups that get from round 1 to 4 are no good for round 5 huh, and I cannot change it.

@FullbringIchigo I think you are onto something.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

FullbringIchigo

@Feena well it would give calling the game "Remake" a new meaning

like i said though, probably way of the mark

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Matroska

@FullbringIchigo There are problems with that. Incoming wall of text. 😬 One is that Aeris dying was needed for them to win in the original as she brings the lifestream up to Midgar to save it - and the world - from meteor. The other is that if anyone is from the future, it's Aeris. Though it's more that she's getting visions of the future. She immediately knows Cloud is ex-SOLDIER, which surprised him. She then knows he's a merc which also surprised him. When he asks how the hell she knew that, she says in an obviously telegraphed lie "I, er... I just guessed from the sword". It's also said that the only way you can see the time ghosts is by touching them or them touching you - however it was Aeris touching Cloud that let him see them.

She also does some kind of mind link with Marlene when rescuing her which immediately calms her down and makes her trust Aeris. Later she does the same with Red XIII who goes from growling at them to immediately being friendly. It's like she's showing them the future where they're all friends. I don't think it's just a "you now like me" Jedi mind trick because (a) that totally cheapens their friendship and bond and (b) she could do that to, say, Reno and get him to leave her alone or even fight for her, and later could do it to Tseng so he'd let her and Marlene go.

I know the weapons of the Whispers matches Kadaj and co. as well, and it does match with the Sephiroth fight being a lot like the AC one, but it makes no sense that Kadaj would be trying to keep the original events intact because that would mean he's trying to enforce a series of events that leads to the failure of Sephiroth's plan, the death of Sephiroth and Jenova, and the victory of his enemies. Finally, it's perfectly possible to add new events, and versions of old events, without some meta BS. In fact, that's exactly what the game did for 17 chapters, for the most part. Imagine if Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy was about Gandalf receiving visions of the book events and trying to get his mates to do things differently. "Ah Pippin, in the book you get the Ents to help you but instead I want you to burn the forest down because reasons". Then book Aragorn turns up and tries to kill Gandalf. Instead Jackson told his version of the story, removing some events, adding or changing others, but didn't need to keep referring in-universe to the book timeline like a 15-year-old trying to be clever.

That said, who really knows what's going to happen next? Even if we could read Nomura's mind, he's infamous for making things up as he goes along and carpet bombing his own work with retcons. This is the guy that woke up one day and wanted to change FFXV into a musical before SE had to stop him, before finally kicking him off the team.

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

FullbringIchigo

@Matroska well i think it's safe to assume we are all over thinking it

At least we can safely say for the first time we can't be sure about what's coming next and personally i find that exciting

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo About as exciting as trying to guess which method of execution you’ll die by 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett nah i already chose that

death by snu snu

Thrillho

I'm finally on chapter 10 after squeezing in a bit more play time earlier before work.

Don Corneo looks great in this and is as sleazy as ever. I'm glad they kept in the "..or I'll cut them off" dialogue which is something I weirdly do specifically remember from the original.

At the beginning of chapter 10 Abzu did wipe me out on my first attempt, mainly from misreading his big attack using the water from the pipes. Good fight though.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

ApostateMage

Yeah, Don Corneo was ace. He went full Joker when he was laughing and frolicking on the bed.

ApostateMage

Matroska

@Thrillho I love that he has a custom vending machine that looks like him. Its also cool in Wall Market how there are two quest paths, one being new and the other being like what happens in the original (dress shop guy, buying something for a guy from the vending machine, etc)

Matroska

RR529

With all the hype surrounding FF7R doing the rounds I bought FFIX on a whim today on Switch.

I definitely do want FF7R, but I'm gonna wait to pull the trigger until after I've cleared Tales of Berseria, which I've been playing for over a month now I think.

Hopefully all this hype I've caved into is worth it, because I have a mixed history with FF. I love X, like IV (but it took me a couple goes to finally finish that one), & even enjoyed that Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers spinoff, but I never got on with I & II: Dawn of Souls (got to the final dungeon in II, though) or XII.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 IX is a good one to get you into classic FF. It has a similar plot to the original ones but has some great systems such as the abilities being learned from equipment. I still haven’t finished it but it’s a really good one and a nice stepping stone to others such as VII and VI.

Matroska

@RR529 I love FFIX. It's such a magical and charming game. Did you play the remake of IV or the original? I never like the original since (among other reasons) there's no character customisation at all, but they fixed that in the remake.

Matroska

nessisonett

Wow, the FF7 Remake plays brilliant on Vita Remote Play. There’s a slight amount of input lag just due to the way Cloud starts walking but I have to say I’m impressed. It helps that the back triggers aren’t heavily used too.

RR529

Glad to hear everyone is glowing about IX!

@Matroska, when it comes to IV, I first played the GBA port and stalled out somewhere on the Moon (I didn't realize just how close I was to completing it, and wasn't all that fond of exploring an entire 3rd world, not realizing it was so much smaller than the Earth & Underworld areas), I later bought the DS remake (well, the mobile port of it anyhow) and played it fully through. As really shallow as it sounds, just being in 3D (no matter how rudimentary) invests me more than pixel art.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett you know i actually haven't tried it on remote play, i'll have to give it a go later

Also chiming in @RR529 that FFIX is awesome and in my opinion one if the best games in the franchise

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic