Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 3,694

JohnnyShoulder

Jeez, Hellhouse is a tough fight. I get down to its last bit of health and get destroyed.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Wow, I’m sure glad they’ve included it. The monster design’s been a bit lacking for me, the original game had some truly wacky monsters.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Arugula Don’t get me wrong, certain parts have felt like a great modern reimagining of the original game but other parts have left me feeling like it’s getting dangerously close to every other 2010s Squeenix project. I’m not a big fan of the clearly marked monster zones near Sector 7 and Aerith’s house that are generic brown coloured rock piles. They lean just a tad far into the FFXV-esque 50s diner aesthetic on occasion too. I liked the Resi 2 remake but they did cut a lot I guess.

Ralizah

I'm enjoying the game thus far, even if some of the padding is obvious. The world is incredibly well-realized, the combat is well-thought-out and very fun (if challenging), and while the game is extremely linear, it's not so to an absolutely sickening degree like most of FFXIII was. I also really like how they're developing the rest of the Avalanche crew (which is going to be emotionally devastating if the major story beats stick close to the original).

Having a motorcycle sequence this early in the game makes me wonder how they're planning on changing the climax, though.

RE2R would have been almost perfect if it hadn't entirely omitted the original's zapping system features. The remake simply doesn't incentivize replaying the game as much as the original did. It's still an amazing fusion of old and new design elements, though, and, imo, is what the series should strive to be going forward.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Matroska

Finished it about half an hour ago. Really don't like how it ends up in terms of story and gameplay. I love it right up to when you get to Aeris in the Shinra building, then it veers off in some strange places. The slog early in the game that's made up of the train tunnels, platforms then the 2nd reactor is outdone by a horrendous, never-ending area leading to the finale.

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

ApostateMage

Ralizah wrote:

• I didn't notice this so much in the demo, but Biggs looks and sounds like a young Charlie Sheen. I can't unsee it.

I was wondering why I kept thinking of the movie 'Hot Shots' whenever I saw Biggs.
I also keep hearing Nanako from P4G whenever I'm in the Slums.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I've really liked the enemy designs so far. Like much of the game i think they have stradled the old and new almost perfectly. The only things I don't like so far is the moment when you are forced to walk/not explore, and the npc's who seem like they cast offs from Fallout 4. But those are very small niggles in the grander scheme of things.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Nei

@nessisonett Yes, I can see it too...and I am not a fan of his direction. That said I am enjoying 7R a lot, most of the time it is good, then sometimes it just WORKS and becomes incredible. But XV was a much more ambitious game in many ways, this feels more like (extremely nice) smoke and mirrors.

@Ralizah Roche was bonkers. In a good way. I loved that part! And yes everybody is so thirsty lol

Wall-Mart (LOL) was the best part of the game so far, just an incredible night. And I have to say I enjoyed the very FFXIII-esque section getting there: the atmosphere was brilliant, the music was perfect and I just wanted to fight and level up my materia. This is also a FF13 remake in a lot of ways.

I also liked the mini puzzles mechanics huh guys, Idk what to tell you guys - this game got it -and I am not even a huge FF7 person (love it of course but more of a 5 and 12 fan)

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

FullbringIchigo

i finally got a new copy (to replace my broken one) of FINAL FANTASY Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for the Wii, it's even still in it's Wrapper

Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Thrillho

One thing that is kind of annoying with the combat in FF7R is how much weight is put into staggering the enemies. I don't that by itself, but it's kind of dumb that in boss fights the meter resets itself after any little cutscene during the fight (which is normally around the point you're about to fill it up).

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

Things I've learned about this game in the last 24 hours: press triangle to be taken straight to the save menu from the main menu. Also if you press the touch pad during battle it will bring up the access menu, which allows to view enemies strengths and weaknesses. Which was well handy during the boss I just beaten as it kept shifting which element it was weak to.

jdv95

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Things I've learned about this game in the last 24 hours: press triangle to be taken straight to the save menu from the main menu. Also if you press the touch pad during battle it will bring up the access menu, which allows to view enemies strengths and weaknesses. Which was well handy during the boss I just beaten as it kept shifting which element it was weak to.

let me guess,the hellhouse?

just beat it today aswell. 2nd attempt though.

jdv95

JohnnyShoulder

@jdv95 Yeah that's the one. 1st attempt tonight but 3rd overall.

jdv95

that's going to be fun in hardmode...

jdv95

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder Also, when using items outside of combat (i.e. healing potions) if you hold down L1 you can use multiple potions rather than reopening the menu each time.

I didn’t know about triangle for the save menu so thanks.

Now I just need to find a way to make the combat camera automatically face the enemy you’re locked on to 🙄

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Matroska You know I got spoiled before I played the game but can you see now why I was a bit hesitant on buying it given that I was told endgame story without much context? I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt until I finish the game but I’m not exactly confident.

Matroska

@nessisonett Yeah, I understand now. The reading I have it is pretty bad but earlier, on another website, a guy had a theory that the three Whispers (if you don't know what I mean by this, don't click the spoiler) aren't who you'd assume but are instead the three bad guys from Advent Children, since their weapons match up better than they do with Barret, Tifa and Cloud; dual pistols instead of gun arm, left-handed sword like Kadaj rather than right-handed like Cloud. Plus the following part is a hell of a lot like the end of AC. I really hope that's it, rather than PS1 Cloud, Barret and Tifa trying to stop their PS4 versions from changing the story. The latter is supported by the imagery and dialogue at the time, but the weapons do match up more with the AC antagonists.

Aaaanyway, totally different note but I eventually got this. Thought it'd be impossible at first but I only got got 3 times in the end.

Untitled

@Thrillho I didn't know the multi-item thing. Thanks!

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Ah cool, that was getting a bit annoying going in and out of the menu.

Got the trophy for beating everyone in squats last night. Not something that I'd choose to do again if I'm honest!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

ApostateMage

I love the music in the Sector 5 Slums' Center District. Nice and chilled.

Edited on by ApostateMage

ApostateMage

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic