Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 3,698

FullbringIchigo

@johncalmc you know one of my friends was exactly the same, hated X and XII when they released but after playing the remasters really enjoyed them

he thinks it's because his tastes have changed as he got older

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Nei

We weren't ready for FFXII and older gamers in general seem allergic to change, even when it's in the form of a superb game as FFXII. FF is all about changes anyway and it is certainly the most interesting JRPG series out there, always trying new approaches. I am 80 hours into DQXI ( a few hours after a certain dramatic event) and it feels super stale: this game will be my farewell to a series, I grew up and changed and the game is so ...uninteresting. I much prefer the FF approach but I am glad this kind of games are there for people who want them.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

FullbringIchigo

on another note and SPOILERS for Kingdom Hearts 3 but it is Final Fantasy related so unless you have already finished the Toy Story world or you just don't mind spoilers then click below

Kingdom Hearts 3 in the Toy Story world had a commercial for a in universe video game called Verum Rex and it's pretty much Nomura's vision for Final Fantasy Vs XIII, you can find it on Youtube if you want to watch it but the game looks like it would be SO much fun and i would love to see it become real

now please if you chose to respond to this post PLEASE use the spoiler tags, lets not ruin this for others

you can post spoilers buy typing (spoiler)putting what you want to say and then typing(/spoiler) just replacing the round brackets ( with a square bracket [

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

OK FF fans i was wondering, what's your FF game collection like so i thought why do't we all post a pic of our FF games (note i have FFXIV digitally same as FFIII on PSP and i do have Dissidia NT but i forgot to put it on the shelf)
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

themcnoisy

@Feena Agreed. But one thing Final Fantasy should do next is go right back to the original FF and let you select 4 character types right at the start! I totally forgot about that until I played my nes mini. Way ahead of its time.

Back on to the chat of ff12 which I appreciated a lot more on my second play. It cut off a load of stuff from the prior mainline games, I would argue it removed a ton of the key pillars which make a great Final Fantasy game at that time.

Things which do represent FF are the unique and coherent World building, the writing, over arching narrative and symbolism. All fantastic and as good as any game in the series.

However the fighting, gambit system and licence board were far too limiting for the initial 25 or so hours, I liken this to then going full barebones in ff13. It took too long to over level your characters or empower them enough.

The main character was rubbish, no mini games or sub games other than hunting. I can't remember much comedy either to alliviate the mood which was always a part of the series until that point.

I love Ff15 as it has run roughshot over ff12 and ff13 overall design philosophy in appealing to a so called wider demographic by stripping gameplay elements away. There's loads to see and do and secrets aplenty. It's funny in parts and has a good tonal mix. The fighting is easy like every FF game but you can overpower your team quite early on and you have the ability to really mess with the games exp system if you want too.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo I've got a vita ffx box and that's it. In fact I haven't seen that for ages as its in a drawer somewhere.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy i have FFX/X-2 HD on the vita too but i can't for the life of me find the bloody thing

those game boxes are too damn small

Nei

@themcnoisy I certainly agree on most points and FFXV is my favourite modern FF even though 12 is more refined in a lot of ways, it lacks charisma and humour.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy @Feena you know what gets me about it is that people complain about XIII and XV say it's combat is simple and "all you have to so is press one button" (which if you tried to do that you wouldn't get very far) yet when it comes to FFXII they sing it praises when thanks to the gambit system that game can LITERALLY play itself or the complain about it being linear when every FF game is linear they just hide it

now i still love FFXII (but i agree it's story is missing some of the humour of other FF's) but it still perplexes me that people moan about XIII and XV while praising the other games for doing the same thing

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo @Feena We all have our favourites in the series. Every FF game can stand toe to toe with the best games third party games of any given generation since the Nes.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy @Feena IX is my personal favourite
Untitled

themcnoisy

Final Fantasy 1 is my favourite

BLK BLT
Level 1
{©÷®}
.... §....
°...§...°
.....!......
D....... D

Edited on by themcnoisy

FullbringIchigo

@Kindaichi i love VIII too but you know what i found funny, Squall told Irvine to take a warning shot as he was feeling nervous yet if Edna hadn't put that barrier up it would have hit her square between the eyes

some warning shot

themcnoisy

@Kindaichi disc 1 of ff8 is as good as any game gets. Then Squall dies so it all makes sense.

Massive fan of the FF8 stats and systems so I absolutely loved it.

Thrillho

@themcnoisy I played the first disc so many times as I had a pirated copy back in the day and the second disc didn’t work. I must have played the first disc five or six times before I got a copy of the second disc.

I’ve only ever completed the game once and will probably never do so again as I could probably recite most of the first disc dialogue.

The junction system was interesting but did lead to some random battles where you would just use sleep on an enemy repeatedly as you keep drawing from them.

I also have an incredible ability at tapping the square button extremely quickly due to the GF boost ability

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@Kindaichi no very easy actually. It makes perfect sense to me. The big problem is it cuts off the use of magic as a battle technique else you negatively impact statistics.

@Thrillho and that is the second problem with the junction system. Drawing continuously everytime a new spell appeared. Sometimes this would take an age if you got unlucky with the rng.

I would love to see a revamped junction system in the future. I can't see it happening though.

FullbringIchigo

@Kindaichi first off sorry it took so long to get back, i work nights but i always found most of the theories were quite silly, the whole Squall is dead one was especially dumb and while it was never actually explained it was implied that Edna or Rinoa saved him with their power

BUT the Rinoa is Ultimecia one was one i actually found plausible, especially with her using Griever but as you said that was debunked by Square, perhaps she was one of Squall and Rinoa's descendants?

as for the Junction system i never had an issue with it but then again i actually read the instruction manual which has about 14 pages explaining everything about it and most people didn't so it's their own fault really

Nei

@FullbringIchigo @themcnoisy my favourite would probably be VI but X is also very dear to me.

Btw have you guys seen those news Episode Ardyn screenshots? And the anime? OMG it looks so good! I am actually starting to hope this DLC will be 15-20€ and feature a longer adventure than past 5€ episodes...

FullbringIchigo

@Feena yeah it looks really good but i doubt it will be a big long one and it will probably be around the same price and length as the others

thing is IF the story is the focus and it does that well the that's fine by me

FullbringIchigo

@Kindaichi there is also one thing about it when you think, you only become a Sorceress when one is dying and they pass on the power to another potential Sorceress so that would mean that basically even though they have different bodies they all have the same power and thus are all technically the same Sorceress plus you throw time travel into the mix and anything is possible

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic