Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 3,694

FullbringIchigo

Also here is some unexpected Final Fantasy News, the FINAL FANTASY XIII Trilogy is come to the XBOX ONE Backwards Compatibility program, i guess that puts all rumours of a remaster to bed which is a shame (and i just know i'm going to buy the 360 version now even though i already have them on PS3)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy honestly it wouldn't surprise me is Square dropped the number from there series and there was no FFXVI

we would still get Final Fantasy games just no more numbered ones

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo FF13 - 360 version had a downgraded resolution at release so it's very interesting to see how this backwards compatibility looks. I would play 13 again for sure.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy apparently it's also getting a enhancement like many other BC 360 games have, so it could be the best looking version on a console if they do it right

FullbringIchigo

OH and the topic of music we was on, i really liked the "Battle on the big bridge" remix from FFXV Episode Gladiolus

anybody else got any remixes of FF songs they like?

Jaz007

@themcnoisy You liked 13? I’m curious to hear what you thought about the story and characters then. I’ve never played it before, but I’m a little intrigued if you did. I’ve just heard it’s not very good.

Jaz007

Kidfried

@Jaz007 It's very much a marmite game I believe. At the time of release I lived in a student house. My housemate loved everything about this game, especially the smaller stories, and played it in my room every day. He didn't have his own game console, so we shared mine. Anyway, I just couldn't push myself to play any further than the intro; disliked pretty much everything about it.

So I don't think the game is "all bad", just very much an acquired taste.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 FF13 is good, just not Final Fantasy good. Too linear, no NPC's to interact with, no towns, Hope (he's the worst), Vanille (she's also the worst), stunted levelling which is a shadow of the ffx system, no mini games, strange use of nouns, I can't actually remember what the story is as I've played ff
13-2 and the overarching story in that game is a joke although it's a better game.

But ff13 is enjoyable. Most notably it is unique, the fighting is great and like all final fantasies very thought provoking. The end game titan trials on gran pulse are amazing also. I would happily run through the game again.

Edited on by themcnoisy

belmont

Man I really hate it that PS4 is not bc. I would love to replay the 13 trilogy.
Seems that the forever rumoured PS4 port in not coming.

belmont

FullbringIchigo

@Jaz007 13 was a good game and for the most part the cast was really good too, Hope can be grating BUT then again he is just a kid

also many people will tell you there was no skill needed because all you would do is press auto attack and yes there was an auto attack option but that is all it was an OPTION you was still able to chose your own attacks and skills as you wanted too, just like any other FF (plus the auto attack was never the best option to use especially against bosses)

and as for people who moan about it being linear well it is but then again so was every other FF game that came before it, they just presented an illusion of on open world but you was still funneled down a linear path until you got the airship, take FFVII for example even when your on the world map your still locked into sections and only have one direction to go, you leave Midgar and you HAVE to go to Kalm, you leave Kalm and you HAVE to go to the Chocobo Ranch, you leave the Ranch and you HAVE to go to through the caves to Junon, etc etc and as for no towns well so what, in the story your hunted and on the run, it makes perfect sense you wouldn't be messing around in a town for 5 hours

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

mookysam

@Jaz007 It's divisive for sure, but I'm firmly in the camp of loved it. It's really beautiful (or the PS3 version was for its time), the music is amazing and I like most of the characters - especially Lightning and Fang. The battle system is actually very strategic, particularly in high level cie'th missions (basically hunts), and is very fast paced. The story has some confusing elements, but moves along at a solid pace, and there are some poignant moments. One element that underwhelmed for me was the level up system, like @themcnoisy said it's basically a very simple version of the sphere grid. That said, later in the game you get to unlock other classes for each of the characters that expand the strategic potential of your builds. I won't say it's a top-tier Final Fantasy, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's sequels are good too, especially XIII-2!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo 13 is too linear though. I don't think it's even up for debate bar gran pulse ages into the game. There are no distractions just hallway after hallway. The illusion of the backgrounds wears off quickly. I say this as someone who would recommend ff13.

Does it fit into the tone of the game? Probably and I can get on board with that but Its literally corridor after corridor.

Comparing it to ff7 is fair, yet with ff7 you had a variety of distractions along the linear nature of the game you could also venture off course and travel the world map. 13 has no such distractions.

As a stand alone experience it's a good game that should be played. But other than the fighting and graphics it's too dialled back in JRPG mechanics to be massively recommended like every single player release since ff6.

themcnoisy

@mookysam Fang and Lightning are great characters. The end game stuff is also brilliant. I remember looking up and seeing the titan across gran pulse and thought holy ship. In many ways like seeing the world serpent in God of War. An amazing moment.

kyleforrester87

I had more fun with Type-0 on PS4 than 15, 13, 12 and 10-2. I really enjoyed that game, and the ending was classic "big" Final Fantasy. Combat system was really fun, too.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Nei

I agree with @themcnoisy On XIII, I liked it but it needed more distractions and diversions. The combat was great though. As were Light and Fang.

@kyleforrester87 Really? I am not too fond of Type 0 I must say, though I enjoyed the rest of Tabata's work on FF (Crisis Core and XV), So sad he left SE, I wanted another game from him. (type Next?)

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 I liked what little I played of type 0. However the camera controls literally wiped me out. In many ways Type 0 is the opposite of ff13. Ugly and the fighting is rubbish but there is loads to do, diversions, millions of NPC's, easy to understand story and fun.

kyleforrester87

@Feena @themcnoisy the camera took a bit of getting used to but the fighting was really fun for a real time system, more engaging than 15s I found.

It probably helped that I was really, really in the mood for some FF when it came along. Sometimes the right game at the right time n all that.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@Feena @themcnoisy @kyleforrester87 i really enjoyed Type-0 and was actually disappointed that they secretly cancelled the sequel

although i still feel it would have been abetter fit on PSVita

FullbringIchigo

well to anyone who has a XBOX ONE here, the FINAL FANTASY XIII Trilogy is now out on the XB1 Backwards Compatibility program

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic