Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,312

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I've got to the last boss before (must have been 2001 when it came out on PS1, so a while ago to be fair!) and I hardly remember any of it, which is surprising as you'd expect such a highly regarded game to have had a bigger impact on me. I'm actually enjoying it a lot now, though, but as I say just based on the events of the first 4 hours versus blowing up a reactor, jumping onto and off of seperate trains, falling off a bridge into a church, dressing up as a woman, doing squats, taking out a brothell, dropping the plate on an entire sector before raiding the Shinra building and escaping on motorbike. I mean come on!!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 yeah most of the games after 6 had much stronger starts than 6 did, 7 like you said probably had the best start but 8, 9 and 13 all had better ones than 6 too i think

There was nothing wrong with the way FFXIII was, ALL the FF games before it were linear too they hid it better

KINGDOM HEARTS 1.5 HADES CUP Cloud and Leon fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWRv7zvSPL0

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

That's right, TIDUS IS BACK!

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 "blowing up a reactor, jumping onto and off of seperate trains, falling off a bridge into a church, dressing up as a woman, doing squats, taking out a brothell, dropping the plate on an entire sector before raiding the Shinra building and escaping on motorbike. I mean come on!!"

Yeah that lives in the memory loads more. Its possibly the best introduction to a game with Half life and TLOU. I also enjoyed Final Fantasy 10s introduction upto the long road bit (bevelle high road or have I invented that?) You have now got me thinking about great game introductions... I feel a thread coming on!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 so did i the first time, it just seemed so big and then once you stepped foot onto the world map and realised that it was just the opening chapter was a jaw dropping moment when i first played it

There was nothing wrong with the way FFXIII was, ALL the FF games before it were linear too they hid it better

KINGDOM HEARTS 1.5 HADES CUP Cloud and Leon fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWRv7zvSPL0

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo @kyleforrester87 Whats strange is that Ocarina of time gets credited for having that wow moment. When really ff7 is the trend setter for me.

I suppose its that 4-8 hours of fast paced story telling jumping from location to location inside midgar. Then you realise its one part of a world and your like "oh my gawd".

The reality is no other location is as big or fleshed out but yeah I had that moment too.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy do it, should be a pretty interesting thread to be honest

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

mookysam

@kyleforrester87 I played 6 on the GBA which I think may have a much improved translation. I love the opening hours. It felt very dramatic given the archaic visuals.

7 is pretty bonkers though. Those opening hours in Midgar are incredible - and I only played it for the first time in 2011 so it ain't nostalgia.

Switch FC: SW-7078-8737-1884

PSN: mookysam

kyleforrester87

@mookysam I always like to hear when people have played FF7 more recently and still think it's great, it does reinforce that it isn't 100% nostalgia and that it is a brilliant game lol.

As for FF6 the opening hours are fine n all, in particular the opening scene up until you get the Esper. But then you're let loose onto the world map a bit too quickly for my liking, and it's easy to get a bit lost in Figaro and South Figaro. I spent quite a bit of time walking about wondering where I was supposed to go next.

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam @kyleforrester87 i first played FF7 back in 1997 got it with my PS1 so there is a lot of nostalgia for me plus it was a big thing too as it was the first time i used my own earned money to buy a game (i was a ball boy for a local football 5 a side league) but even through all that it's still a great opening area for a video game

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Try secret of manas opening hour to see a truly truly awful introduction for an rpg. That one is ALL nostalgia. Lol.

Final Fantasy 13 had a great opening, a pity it was all cut scenes.

Ok so heres my ranking on ff games intros.

1st - ff7
2nd - ff10
3rd - ff9

Ff8 is my favourite game in the series however its opening post cutscene with Seifer and Squall battling is weak with your education finale to the fire cavern (fml).

When Im refering to the opening I mean the first hour from the moment you take over. Cut scenes or scene setting dont count else ff13 would be in with a shout. I cant remember ff12s opening bits at all, your fighting rats in a sewer or something rubbish.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I dunno man, I think you're being a bit unfair on SOM. I do need to play more of it, but it's pretty highly regarded and has turned up 3rd on the list below, which I appreciate could mean anything but the other selections in the list look appropriately placed so..

http://www.techradar.com/news/all-the-snes-minis-games-ranked...

"3: Secret of Mana
Recently confirmed for the reboot treatment by Square Enix, Secret of Mana – or Seiken Densetsu 2, as it's known in Japan – is comfortably one of the most iconic JRPGs in existence. It got pretty much everything right back in 1993; engaging real-time combat, sumptuous visuals, gorgeous music and – perhaps most important of all – a gripping storyline populated with memorable characters."

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Its nostalgia mate. Anyone who missed this first time cant possibly enjoy the opening now. Its so poorly done, give it a whirl.

You accidentally fall off a bridge, pull up a sword from where you fall, fight some mushroom things, get told you are a bad boy, jump into a hole, fight a crab alien, get told to meet a stranger in the ice palace, your adopted dad disowns you, shoot off in a cannon. To be fair the cannon was the best bit.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy As for my ranking on the best intros I guess it goes FF7, FF9 and...FF15?

FF7 and 9 for obvious reasons. FF15 I thought was quite nice with the very beggining scene when you're pushing the car and "stand by me" comes on. Thought it was cool.

FFX was good, but the whole bit where Tidus first ends up in Spira before he gets to Besaid was annoying to me.

FF8 had a cool intro and I liked the Garden soundtrack, I guess? As for the first section itself.. yuck. It kinda picked up when you did the beach landing mission. But I was so hyped for 8 after 7 and to be dumped on the world map after 15 minutes to head off to a cave to fight Ifrit.. ehh buzz kill.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

Final Fantasy XV ... Pocket Edition for iOS?!?
Just saw this for pre-order on the Apple App Store for iPhone. The advertisement makes it sound like it’s a remake of the actual console game with the more simplistic graphics. Surely it’s not the same entire game with the full story, world, and gameplay— right? Not sure how I feel about this.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution yeah it's a mobile remake, same story and everything, it is released in episodes but the first is free

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo Well, I’ve yet to play XV (still in my backlog) and I’ve also yet to play any sort of huge RPG on my phone so I’m not qualified to pass judgment here, but I can’t imagine the mobile version does the game justice. I wonder if the controls on a touch screen are at all serviceable and if the small screen can really highlight the large world and epic nature of a FF game. And if they can port this to iPhone, why not to Vita? (Besides the obvious fact that the quantity of iPhones in the world out number the amount of Vitas in the world probably by millions. The Vita adoption rate for a JRPG port surely would be more than the average mobile phone user)

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution not coming to the vita might be because the vita isn't in production anymore while phones and tablets are but the first episodes is free so there is nothing to stop you downloading it and seeing what it plays like but i imagine it will be simple tap controls like most others are

"Tea Earl Grey HOT!"

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I don’t want my first experience with the game to be on my phone. I’m the first to admit I’m a snobby gaming purist.
As far as I can tell, this is the first time Sqenix has ported a latter-gen FF to mobile where it completely changed the aesthetics. I think a lot of them are available on mobile up to FF IX, but graphically they look the same as their originals. This XV port looks more like a prototype of the console version. I guess they gotta make back some of the money from the long development cycle it took to make the game. I suppose I can’t fault them for that. It’s just I wonder if artistically and creatively it’s what the director envisioned.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic