Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 2,454

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yeah, I think what we’ll probably eventually end up with (as far as health care) is a two-tiered system, I think similar to Canada’s. There will be some basic universal health care for all citizens, but there will be purchasable private insurance as well. We’ll still get the ‘haves’ and the ‘have-nots’ because the federally funded plan will likely be bare bones, but it will be something. People will have access to basic stuff if they get sick and typical preventative services. But if you want a knee replacement you’ll have to be put on a 12 month waiting list unless you have insurance. If you want a scan to work up your back pain, you’ll be denied that unless you get to the point of not being able to walk. If have cancer, you may not get all the latest most expensive treatment options available unless you have private insurance. If you have a medical problem that needs long term medication, you’ll get the cheapest generic covered but not anything new to market. Etc, etc. I think it will be better than what we’ve got now. I’m not saying it will be soon, but depending on results of the election (and how Coronavirus continues to unfold) it could be here sooner than later. Obamacare got passed rather quickly after he took office and I don’t think anyone would have predicted that. So it can be done. Again, I’m the eternal optimist, so take my predictions with a handful of salt, but there’s nothing like a good ol’ fashioned pandemic to shake things up.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Heavyarms55 Only canned veggies here.

I've heard canned spaghetti exists. Weirdly enough it sounds pretty good to me.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Canned Heinz spaghetti and sausages is only second to canned beans and sausages. That’s real food.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

I always cut my own hair these days. I think I'm pretty good at it too but it does take a few hours all in. Hanging up the mirrors, cutting the hair, hoovering the floor and showering after. I'd go to a barbers but just can't seem to find a good one in my area (the last one I went to was a young guy who gave me short on top and long back and sides - I felt so awkward I just had to leave and finish it myself at home). People always compliment it but when I reveal I done it myself, all of a sudden they notice all these imperfections in it 😂. Started doing my beard now too.

My boss has said he will furlough me today. I'll take it with a pinch of salt until it's in writing but a week of anxiety has been relieved somewhat. They're tight geezers so I didn't think they'd say yes. I know the government pays for it but they won't pay the profit they'd earn if I was doing jobs so I expected them to try and keep everyone available for the odd job that does come in during the next few months.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny ...short on top and long on sides. I’m trying to imagine that and I actually don’t understand what kind of barber would approve that monstrosity 😂😂😂

nessisonett

I’ve just realised there’s no Eurovision this year thanks to bloody coronavirus. This year is officially a write off.

Heavyarms55

@Octane I've had it, it's not terrible, not great. Perfectly edible.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ralphdibny

@nessisonett oh it was bad. I'm not sure if he had finished but he just said "is that alright?" And I was horrified, just said yep yep ok and left, I even tipped him haha. Ever since, I have done the opposite, which is short back and sides, probably what you'd call a hipster haircut but I do it myself so I don't think it's very hipster.

Lidl do some interesting tins, I had a minted lamb hotpot from there the other day. Not alot of actual lamb in it but it tasted bloody good. The broccoli and stilton soup is tasty too but leaves a confusingly fishy aftertaste.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I don’t think I’ve ever been to the barbers and not just asked for a short back and sides. It’s like the default haircut in the Sims.

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny @nessisonett I care so little about my hair, I visit a nearby barber's (which I chose because it has full-size Stormtrooper armour in its window, and LEGO on its walls) whenever it starts to threaten my shoulders and tell my regular guy to "make me look better than this". The first time, he started asking me all sorts of questions about grade length or whether I use "product" or whatever; now he doesn't even bother, which I love because, to his credit, I always do leave looking better than I walked in. My input on the whole transaction would likely result in disaster.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, that’s the way to go — having someone you trust to just do it and make it look good (or better). I’m always annoyed when the barber or stylist asks questions constantly through the process, basically wanting a step-by-step direction to the haircut. If they seem anxious to please me, I typically say, “Don’t worry, I’m not picky. It always grows out anyways.”
But yes, as a result of not giving precise instructions I’ve had some bad haircuts and had to do damage control when I got home.

I’m not brave enough to just take the razor to my head though. I’m just going to end up having to look like a caveman instead by the end of all this. If only I could pull off the dreadlock look. Maybe I’ll try.

As for my most impactful COVID19 adjustment, it’s gotta be the dedicated effort of not touching my face. I’m not a nose picker, but I stroke my beard, rub my eyes, or just rest my head in my hands a lot I’ve found. And the hand washing has been quite a new focus as well. I’m hoping to carry on with some of these now broken habits when this is over. I also don’t miss handshakes. I am now immediately repulsed by them. Someone shook my hand yesterday and it felt weird. Especially since I dove for the hand sanitizer as soon as he walked away. I do miss a good hug though. Life feels so impersonal at 6 feet away.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Glad it's not just me. I mean, sure, I get it; people like to have some control over their appearance, but whenever there's that barrage of questions when you're in the chair, my impulse reply is always to say "Aren't you the expert here, buddy?" As long as their own hair doesn't look like a dead shrubbery, I trust them far more than I trust myself.

My brother had dreads for quite some years. They take a lot of maintenance!

Being a dedicated hugger and beard-stroker (sounds so wrong) is part of why I've stuck to lockdown protocol, despite temptations to visit my partner or go shopping more than once a week... but crikey, in this climate, somebody shook your hand? Yeesh. Nightmare.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, despite being inundated with public service announcements about social distancing, some people just ignore it. They’re the same people that dive into water that says “No diving”, and when a sign says “Do Not Touch”, well... the you know what the first thing they do is.

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger @nessisonett @Th3solution haha I'll probably have to do the razor one day because of my receding hairline but I imagine I'll look like Dr. X from action man. But just using standard clippers are not bad, just a mirror on both sides an idea of roughly how you want to look.

I cut my hair short originally to shorten my shower time as I'd spend half of it washing my hair and picking strands of hair out of the soap. Now I do the short back and sides because it makes me look less balding on top. And now I also use "product" to keep it covering the recede. Funny that I didn't care so much about how I looked when I was younger, skinnier and had more hair lol.

I had a girl cycle past me really close on my daily half hour exercise walk (I seem to be doing this more frequently now that it's all I'm allowed lol). Considering I'd spent the last half hour giving a 2 meter berth to everyone I saw, it made me really angry at the time.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

CurryPowderKeg79

I hope no one else gets the coronavirus. As one of the unlucky people to have actually had the coronavirus I can tell you it sucks. I can tell how some people may think their going to and do die. I spent 7 days with a fever ranging from 101 to 103 fahrenheit. I also had cold sweats constantly and could barely breathe do to stuff in my lungs and had body aches(felt like my whole body was bruised). I must say the scariest thing was not being able to breath. After 7 days I spent another 3 days with a mild fever and coughing up the nastiest looking black & brown film from my lungs. Long story short i wouldn't wish the coronavirus on my worst enemy and hope everyone stays healthy.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

themcnoisy

@CurryPowderKeg79 sounds awful. We're you on a ventilator?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Sorry, this topic has been locked.