Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 2,454

nessisonett

@KisekiFan7 That’s a tough one, I really feel for those that have to make the decision of whether to risk going to the hospital or not. It’s a strange concept to think that going there could end up making you more sick but it’s definitely a worry. Hopefully he pulls through!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@KisekiFan7 Any semi-competent hospital should be good and paranoid rn, so don't let him needlessly suffer out of fear of covid. I mean, my brother in law had to be hospitalized a month ago or so, so I get the fear, for sure. Good luck with your father!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Welp, covid-19 just claimed the life of Herman Cain, former Godfather's Pizza CEO and failed Republican presidential candidate.

I don't recall this guy ever doing or saying anything too awful, and between his weird campaign ad and tendency to quote Pokemon movie song lyrics, he managed to make me laugh more than once.

RIP you affable oddball

nessisonett

@Ralizah I hadn’t heard about him to be honest, he must be one of those guys that didn’t really get coverage outside the States. I just read today that he ran for president before sexual harassment allegations meant he stepped aside and the man, the myth, the Mormon Mitt Romney got the nom instead. Are his pizzas any good?

Ralizah

nessisonett wrote:

I just read today that he ran for president before sexual harassment allegations meant he stepped aside and the man, the myth, the Mormon Mitt Romney got the nom instead.

Ahhhh... of course. There's always something. Is there anyone involved in U.S. politics who isn't a creeper?

He never had a chance, though. He was basically a joke candidate who provided the comic relief during that election cycle.

Crazy to think ol' Mormon Mitt represents the last vestiges of human decency in that party. Now he's considered a "traitor."

I've never eaten at that particular chain, unfortunately. I'm more of a Slim and Husky's person.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/usaandmain/2018/07/10/sl...

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’m gonna go on a pizza pilgrimage in the US. Mmmmm, pizza. Might need to wait a few years, I’m not sure I want a side of COVID.

nessisonett

Got to love the news, showing Boris telling us that England isn’t easing lockdown then immediately showing images of thousands of people flocking to the beaches. You literally can’t make it up.

Ralizah

lol Just heard on the news we're probably heading toward 200,000 deaths by the end of August. It won't be long before we're clearing 100,000 new cases nationally every day.

Untitled

themcnoisy

@nessisonett What Chris Whitty said was interesting, we are at the limits of what we can open and things will need to close so we can open other things.

Be interesting to see what goes.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

R1spam

@nessisonett you've got to love the mixed messages!! Have a staycation, travel and support UK business then within a couple of days message is to avoid costal resort towns. Its not like beaches werent overrun a month ago foreshadowing what will happen in decent weather. In the north of England don't go round to your parents house but you can meet them indoors in a pub?! Clear effort to shift blame to individuals behaviours rather than face some of the systematic failures with poor messaging.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam Well I hope the English don’t have a bloody staycation up here, our numbers are slightly better! Still work to be done of course but it really does look like a mess down there.

themcnoisy

@R1spam agreed. It makes no sense and it's what makes people aggrieved.

Holidays should have been cancelled for the whole of Europe with special dispensation given to primary economic holiday destinations from the EU. Greece has fared well so far with covid 19, less so when the ferrying destination for carriers all over the world. The reality is in a few months time you would prefer to visit a covid battered area as the transmission will be diminished.

It absolutely sucks not going on holiday. But after a 2 month LockDown, stripped liberties, recession etc. Pasty skin for 12 months is nothing.

As for the general rules within the UK. I can sit a family in my car showroom but can't sit with them on the shore. Just what's going on here? It's fundamentally flawed.

A novel idea would be to have weekend LockDown. So rules pretty much as they are, business as is. But on a Saturday and Sunday everyone is locked in. It means we have 2 days a week when transmission can't happen which would cut the R Rate and people can refocus on washing hands and keeping a distance - which you can't help but forget when sucked into the work cycle, Business would still perform adequately and it would also help the environment.

We would then have a jetty point for cycling things back if it goes south again (which it is just listen to Chris Whitty he's not messing around this time).

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Zeldafan79

Anyone else think it's dumb that restaurants force masks when you walk in the door but don't mind if you take them off once you're at your table eating? What the hell difference is that going to make? If that virus is such a super virus i assure you it can still be spread while sitting down at your table too. Oh and have you heard now they're saying we should be wearing goggles to cover our eyes also?

I wouldn't be quite as annoyed by all this histeria if the rules in stores or other places of business were consistant but it seems everybody has their own theory's about how it's contracted or what we should be doing to prevent it. No wonder people have gone completely nuts!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Ryall

@Zeldafan79 Your outcome is partly determined by the viral load. Think of it like a car crash. If you clipped wing mirrors with someone when you’re driving at 1 mile an hour and wearing a seatbelt you’ll probably be fine. If you crash head-on at 60 when you’re not wearing a seatbelt your chances of suffering injury or death are higher.

When the risk is cumulative all safety measures are beneficial even when you’re taking other greater risks in other areas.

This is the reason why healthcare workers have a greater risk of death when infected. They will receive more virus from more people if not wearing appropriate PPE.

Ryall

Octane

@Ralizah Back in March, when they said their goal was to keep the number under 100,000, I thought they were talking about total deaths, not daily new cases

Octane

R1spam

@nessisonett I just get confused as to how much more of a ***** show it could be. I thought it was bad in Scotland that you could get to an indoor pub before schools or swimming pools opened but in England its a whole new level. I love that delaying the opening of beauty salons and bowling alleys is Boris pumping the breaks! If they keep business open but schools have to go back blended learning its a disgrace.
@themcnoisy I get the idea behind something novel to keep things going but many commodity and leisure shops etc rely on people having free time to buy things. Lots of shops literally live for the weekend. We will see whether economic or public health considerations get priority soon enough. Personally don't think there will ever be full lock down with furlough ever again, even if its needed, due to cost.

XBOX: Placebo G

Ralizah

@Zeldafan79 Yeah, several events that have led to a bunch of people getting infected have been traced back to restaurants. As far as I'm concerned, there's no particularly safe way to eat at a restaurant unless it's based outside and the tables are all WAY spread apart. I won't sit down in a restaurant again until this is over. It sucks, because my family and I had a nearly unbroken, decade-long tradition of attending Monday night trivia at a local Mexican restaurant, but... it's just not safe.

Bars are even worse. "Safely" reopening a bar right now is a fairy tale.

One of the more depressing outcomes of this will be the apocalyptic effect it has on smaller restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. I literally expect only chains and large businesses to survive this situation.

@Octane lol, and we'll end up not accomplishing either of those.

I don't know how a country screws up a virus response this bad. We've done everything wrong. You think the man in charge would at least TRY to contain the situation leading in to an election, but all he's doing now is making it harder to determine the full impact of the virus being revealed by hospital data.

At this point, I'm convinced we should have never locked down in the U.S. Not because it wasn't needed (it is), but because we screwed it up by not coordinating it federally and rushing to re-open early in a bunch of states. The result? Near depression levels of unemployment and lost economic activity for LITERALLY nothing.

I feel like I live in a country governed by small children. It's insanity.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah... but... why do something when you can complain?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane 17,000 deaths sucks. 200,000+ is vastly worse. And those numbers will keep climbing, because, until November, we don't even have the possibility of competent leadership.

If Obama had been in office when this kicked off, it'd still be bad, but we'd be in a much safer place as a country.

EDIT: Don't forget: "nObOdY lIkEs Me "

World's oldest drama queen.

Edited on by Ralizah

Sorry, this topic has been locked.