Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 2,454

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 It’s kinda funny how attitudes have changed since this all started though, the first few pages of the thread are just toilet paper jokes and then people started actually dying.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD the prep needed to have been done before it kicked off in China really, by that point it was pretty much already too late. Lessons will have been learnt here, no doubt!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@Arugula Florida’s got roughly 3.7 times the population of Scotland and our total cases are 18,340. You’ve almost overtaken our total cases in one day despite the population not being that much higher. Jeez.

Ralizah

And yet Disney World and schools are still opening.

The actions of several GOP governors and the administration currently in the white house are indistinguishable from those of a death cult at this point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/trump-administration-...

For those unable to view the link, here's the headline: "Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC"

So... yeah. Don't believe ANYTHING coming from official U.S. sources until the madman is out of office. If you don't think this is part of a cover-up in the face of a tough re-election, then I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm so ashamed of my country for electing this guy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

Blimey. Sounds like the US has just given up on containing the virus. And yeah if what @Ralizah says is true, then I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were tampered with to make it seem like there are less cases in the future.

Octane

Kidfried

@Ralizah They don't even explain themselves, except through stating that it's "better", but making it less transparent in the process anyway. My brain can hardly fathom stuff like this happens, without any consequence at all.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried This is the same guy who just pardoned his friend without explaining himself so yeah, this doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Of course it’s not corruption, it’s ‘political clout’.

Ralizah

@Octane Nationally, there was never a real attempt to contain it. Leadership is primarily down to the state level, which means you're at the mercy of whoever is the governor. It's working well in some states. Then you have states like Georgia, where evil Trump toadie Brian Kemp just banned towns and cities across the state from mandating mask wearing in public. In the middle of a pandemic.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/507600-georgia-gover...

We've turned the simple act of wearing a mask into a political football.

@Kidfried Yeah, it's pretty obvious they're lying through their teeth. I'm hardly surprised, though: for all our crowing about "checks and balances" in government, we have an executive branch that has long demonstrated it's fundamentally broken. The sad truth is that there's not a lot that can done to hold someone like Trump accountable when most of the government is controlled by right-wing extremists. We tried impeachment, but without majority support, and in the context of a president who is utterly without shame or self-reflection, all impeachment amounted to was a slap on the wrist.

nessisonett

@Ralizah He’s gonna win, I’m calling it. 2020 would definitely go down as the strangest year in several generations though.

Octane

@Ralizah That's just throwing fuel on the fire. Not sure what they're trying to accomplish here?

Octane

Ralizah

@nessisonett Trump? I don't know how he would. He barely won last time by clinching a few key states, and he's polling significantly worse in key battleground states in 2020. Still, I realize it's a long time until November, and this year has been horrible, so I'm not counting my chickens yet. I think he'll be as horrible as possible on his way out, though.

@Octane You're approaching this from the standpoint of a rational human being. Approach it from a tribal perspective instead. Masks are seen as a sign of capitulation to your cultural enemies, and your chief has made a point of not wearing them. If you're a bootlicker who cares more about virtue signaling to the president than caring for the public health of your residents, then it makes sense. His people will mumble something about freedom, and then point out that they've 'strongly recommended' face coverings when people call them out on helping to perpetuate unnecessary mass death.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

On the plus side, I heard some vaccine trials have seen some favorable early results. By no means are things a foregone conclusion, but maybe a glimmer of hope on the horizon? (For the virus that is... I have no hope for any return to rational, honest, and coherent actions by the public or the powers-that-be. That ship seems to have sailed.)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution In terms of developing a vaccine. There is a ''fast'' way to do it (so called RNA/DNA vaccines). This is because the method is rigorously tested and proven to be safe. Meaning that you can quickly get to the latest testing stages. The problem is that this method hasn't yielded an actual vaccine that is available on the market yet. It works in theory, but somehow in practice it doesn't work as expected.

I presume this is the method they are talking about when they mention they'd get it done this year, because there's no other method AFAIK that can be developed this quickly.

I would be surprising if it suddenly worked for this specific coronavirus, so I personally wouldn't get my hopes up. Our best chances at the moment are a classic/whole virus vaccine, but that's going to take until 2021 before we see those on the market.

Octane

Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

I don’t think I actually realised how widespread anti-mask nonsense was until NLife put up an article about Smash characters wearing masks and the comment section turned into an absolute dumpster fire. Like, I’m not sure if this implies that loads of Americans have their priorities backwards, or just gamers? I did find it funny that my comment saying that anti-maskers are morons was edited to ‘anti-maskers really concern me’ though, it makes me sound like Phillip Schofield. Meanwhile the comment saying that masks were a form of tyranny was perfectly ok and allowed to remain. I kinda know what Neolit meant now, they should tell us if our comments were edited because as it stands, we’re technically saying things that we didn’t type out. It’s hardly the hill I’m going to die on but it does rankle me a bit.

Genrou

@nessisonett In also love how the mod their on NL says don't make any political remarks or they will be deleted. Then why put that kind of article out then? You know it's going to turn into a political storm in the comments.

Genrou

nessisonett

@Genrou I hate to be that guy but I did say on the last Brie Larson article that it would just devolve into a fight. It then generated over 150 comments, 90% of which were people fighting. Then the next article about her, maybe a few days later, lasted 50 comments before it was closed by the mods. I’m all for writing the articles you want to but come on, you know what you’re getting yourself into when you put something like that out. It’s all a bit rich of me to say considering the absolute hellstorms I’ve caused in the past but there has to be more repercussions because it’s gotten out of hand. Spreading misinformation about the use of masks is a public health hazard. I wonder if they’ll miraculously change their mind now that Dr Wotsit has flip-flopped on the use of masks.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.