Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 2,454

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Me neither - I'm quite glad neither of my daughters have to go back yet so we don't have to make that decision. Neither to I judge people who do have to send. There is just no right and wrong.

I do know my wife and her setting are trying to work out how to socially distance 2-4 yr olds and all the new regulations which are just not going to be manageable.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Gremio108

Me and my wife have been unsure what to do about sending our eldest back to school. In the end we decided if he wanted to go,we would send him (he's in year six). Then the local council sent a letter round saying that our county is still high risk. As a result, school emailed saying they won't be opening to more pupils. So that's that.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Heavyarms55

Schools in Japan right now are largely opening back up. Masks are required and we spray things down with enough alcohol that it sometimes smells like a cheap bar but otherwise things are returning to more or less normal here. Somehow Japan managed to keep the numbers quite low, but I am fearful for the country going forward - I'm worried their modest success may make them complacent. If the possibility of the virus re-surging in fall proves true, Japan might be opening itself to getting hit worse later - in a way - because they were successful now.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

We don't let our nephew go out at all right now, because, invariably, he keeps touching his face, or sticking his fingers in his mouth. You get the idea.

I'm so glad I moved up from Reception (Or Kindergarten for yourself) to year two @Ralizah for that exact reason. The six to seven year olds I usually teach are reasonably responsible and the group I had been looking after during all this (Ages 5-9) have been especially good at following the rules we've had to impliment.

I'm honestly not quite sure how my colleague looking after the reception children has managed to cope all this time having to be so vigillant about that. Her first year as a teacher actually and this happens. She's a star!

It is a bit of comfort regarding that @Octane thanks. Hopefully all goes well on your end!

I'm glad to hear your daughter has been alright @R1spam with her schooling and thank you for the well wishes It's very much appreciated!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you going forward.

Rudy_Manchego wrote:

I do know my wife and her setting are trying to work out how to socially distance 2-4 yr olds and all the new regulations which are just not going to be manageable.

Good grief (Apparently I'm now channeling Danger Mouse). I can't even begin to imagine how nurseries are going to go about all this @Rudy_Manchego... I hope your wife and all her colleagues manage to sort it all out and major respect from me when they do get it up and running again

Wise descision your son's school has decided to take. Hope you and the family stay safe @Gremio108!

Good luck teaching in Japan fellow teacher @Heavyarms55! Hope everything goes ok on your end!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego My sister has a three year old and is very anxious about the possibility of sending her back to nursery. Very young children simply don't understand social distancing and I think it is potentially psychologically damaging to them. My Mum could potentially see them if she stood two metres away, but can you imagine telling a three year old to stay away from their grandmother? She just wouldn't understand why she can't hug her.

Hope everything goes well at work @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy and stay safe. What support is your union providing? I don't blame parents for keeping their kids home and would probably do the same thing if I had children. You're in Birmingham aren't you? (Apologies if I misremembered that!) Was it reported that the council was keeping primary schools closed, but does it depend on if the school is an academy or not? Just asking because all these different rules in different parts of the country are getting rather difficult to keep up with.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

I would be interested on hearing from any parents here about their kids behaviour during furlough and LockDown. Initially my kids were good, homework and helping round the house. Gradually as they have worked out it wasn't ending soon, our authority has diminished somewhat. Refusing to do homework or not telling us about missing stuff (the app show my homework can only tell you so much). This is the last day of our kids LockDown and it's one of the worst, they have lost all interest in going the extra mile. The quality of the work is horrendous. So glad they are in Wed, Thur, Fri here on in, its been too long and they need to be educated by professionals.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Good luck FGS, you are in the best place to give us all advice! We are lucky with the schools my kids use. There was never a question about reopening and they just want to be there for the kids and to get the education going again (my wife picked the schools thank god).

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

nessisonett

@themcnoisy I told my wee brother that if he doesn’t do his homework then I’ll delete his 60 hour Persona 5 file. Dirty tactics but it works, well seeing I’m not a parent 😂😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks. I'm happy for the decision to be taken out of my hands to be honest. I personally think what they're asking of you guys (meaning teachers) is a bit much.

Gremio108

@themcnoisy Mine have been great on the whole, I can hardly complain. There have been times when it's been difficult though. During the weeks which would have been Easter and half term, we have given them the week off doing any school work, and as a result, the week after was near-impossible to get them back into the groove. There has been a lot less maths and English and a lot more Portal Knights this week, for example. There are also times when they just go bonkers and run about the house. I think that's because they aren't getting their play time, so they've got all this pent-up energy that needs to come out.

It sounds like you're doing a good job. If they're happy, then you're doing fine. That's my opinion anyway. There will be a lot of kids out there having a very bad time during this lockdown, so don't beat yourself up just because they're slacking on their fractions or whatever

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 Yeah the halfterms are a nightmare, rather than being a time for a break from school - it's just a break from all acceptable societal constructs in our house. My 12 year old was sat there at 10am last Wednesday eating an icecream in nothing but bright yellow underpants, screaming at his mates in fortnite.

@nessisonett I wish my kids played something as high brow as Persona. Fortnite, Cod Warzone with a bit of Fifa. My 4 year old daughter has a wider taste in gaming and loves Street Fighter 2 and Dreams. No idea where I went wrong.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gremio108

@themcnoisy ha, swap Fortnite for Sonic and that's my dream lifestyle.

It looks like mine are done til September now, so I may well be a gibbering wreck in a couple of months time

Heavyarms55

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! In the short term, all looks well.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Nope we have had that with our 3 (nearly 4 yr old). She has seen her Granny but we literally had to put a fence between them because she just instinctively wanted to get close and talk and show her things. Our 8 yr old understands now and she went on a distanced walk around the local park with her but a 3-4 yr old? No chance.

I think it depends on the setting but what I can see is a lot of childcare places opening and then any whiff of coronavirus, shutting down for 2 weeks while tests etc. are done. So it will be very stop and start.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

Gremio108 wrote:

...swap Fortnite for Sonic...

I'd like to live in that parallel dimension, please.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Arugula @KidBoruto He's fine, safe and well. Decided to leave the forums for reasons various, but then reached out to me via PSN.

I'll let him know you guys were asking after him.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Ha, only just seen this. I believe that parallel dimension is called 1991. As soon as I've invented my time machine I'll give you a shout

nessisonett

@Arugula England are almost opened up, their cases have kinda spiked since the decision but I expect that to level off as the weeks go on. Here in Scotland, we’re still in lockdown and probably opening up next month but our cases are way lower than England’s, statistically wise, due to the extra measures we’ve had in place. The economy’s in its worst state since 1709 but at least we won’t die straight away from coronavirus, it’ll be the economic fallout that gets us!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.