Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 281 to 300 of 880

Black_Swordsman

@LN78 Yes, I was very fond of Citizen Kane when I first watched it and I still think the set pieces created for Xanadu were among the best for the time. I must watch The Magnificent Ambersons sometime, heavily trimmed as it is, did you enjoy it in the form in which it was released? I will do a bit of research and see if I can find any copies of the Welles screenplay for Heart of Darkness, that would be a real gem. Perhaps a copy or two will surface on ebay? We can only hope, and dream.

I also quite like Hitchcock with regard to film, but maybe the Movie Thread is a better place to discuss that, so feel free to reply to me in there. Have you ever seen Shadow Of A Doubt? That sounds like a great film. I haven't watched that, but I would like to and I have thankfully seen Vertigo a couple of times and thought that that was amazing. Have you seen that?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

Currently reading a few books in conjunction with Heart of Darkness, Henry Miller's book on D H Lawrence, Robert Ferguson's book on Henry Miller, The Letters of D H Lawrence, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Red Book by Carl G. Jung and ,lastly, Hamsun's Tales of Love and Loss.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

Finished Henry Miller's book on Lawrence, now reading Miller's 'Plexus' novel, second in the 'Rosy Crucifixion' trilogy he did.

rafitafi

Last book I read was Farenheit 541, recommend it if you like psychological books

rafitafi

Black_Swordsman

I'm trying to decide on which art books to read next. Can anyone recommend one that could rival John Fleming's or Elie Faure's works? P.s, if you think either of their books are worth getting in addition to others out there please let me know, as I am thinking of getting them too.

Black_Swordsman

I'm currently reading The Wisdom of the Heart by Henry Miller, it's a collection of his short prose works, very enlightening and edifying.

ApostateMage

I'm re-reading the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. This should have been the new movie trilogy instead of all that Rey nonsense.

ApostateMage

Black_Swordsman

I'm currently reading Love Among the Cannibals by Wright Morris.

Elodin

@ApostateMage ahh yes great trilogy. My favorite Star Wars book is a stand alone, called Scoundrels. It's basically oceans 11 with Han solo.

I'm currently reading Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff. It's book 2 in a trilogy. It's fantastic. The main character reminds me of Arya Stark in Game of Thrones. Kristoff is great world builder.

Elodin

andreoni79

I'm finally reading for the first time something from Philip Roth: I opted for the "nemesis series": Everyman (2006), Indignation (2008), The Humbling (2009) and Nemesis (2010).
I'm sure I'll love them and that will mean I'll read at least other 10 of his novels...

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Black_Swordsman

@andreoni79 He's said to be one of the great American novelists, as listed by Harold Bloom, who also wrote The Western Canon. The other American writers he listed were Cormac McCarthy, Don DeLilo and Thomas Pynchon.

I just finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and have moved on to Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche, fascinating read, thus far.

Black_Swordsman

Now trying House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

MightyDemon82

About 100 pages left of a A Dance with Dragons. Any idea if the prequel books are worth reading?

Hopefully we'll get winds of winter before long. it's not like I don't have a library of books/Comics/manga to read.

MightyDemon82

ApostateMage

Just started Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. I need more Mara.

ApostateMage

nessisonett

I haven’t read in a while so I started Catch 22 again. One of my favourite books and surprisingly timely in the way the establishment™ handles crises.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Oh yeah that’s a classic. Orwell’s essays are brilliant and timely as well, his political writings are really quite modern. I’d highly recommend Homage to Catalonia, the Spanish Civil War is a period of history swept under the carpet and his accounts are a fascinating read.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic