Forums

Topic: Best 2019 Punk and Alternative Rock Albums by JamieOretro

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

JamieO

Best 2019 Punk and Alternative Rock Albums by JamieOretro:

In the past, as far back as 2009, I created an NLife Punkers & Alternative Rockers Thread on Nintendo Life. Then, three-and-a-half years ago, I posted a Best 2015 Punk and Alternative Rock Albums topic here on Push Square. To follow on from these threads, I thought I would share my favourite 2019 punk and alternative rock albums so far, released during the first half of 2019.

2019 Melodic Hardcore/ Pop Punk/ Punk (January to June)

• Bad Religion (May 2019), Age of Unreason (Epitaph Records).
  • Bracket (May 2019), Too Old to Die Young (Fat Wreck Chords).
  • Clowns (April 2019), Nature / Nurture (Fat Wreck Chords). Recommended by my punk rock fan friend on Twitter.
  • Masked Intruder (March 2019), III (Pure Noise Records).
  • Millencolin (February 2019), SOS (Epitaph Records).
  • Reunions (June 2019), Winter Heart, Summer Skin (self-released independently by Reunions).

2019 Hardcore Punk (January to June)

• Defeater (May 2019), Defeater self-titled 2019 (Epitaph Records).
  • Fury (May 2019), Failed Entertainment (Run For Cover Records).

2019 Alternative Rock/ Emo/ Grunge/ Indie (January to June)

• American Football (March 2019), American Football self-titled 2019 LP3 (Polyvinyl Records and Big Scary Monsters).
  • The Get Up Kids (May 2019), Problems (Polyvinyl Records).
  • Martha (April 2019), Love Keeps Kicking (Big Scary Monsters in UK and Dirtnap Records in US). Recommended by Thrillho below.
  • Plague Vendor (June 2019), By Night (Epitaph Records).
  • Radar State (January 2019), Strays (Wiretap Records).

I have also created a 2019 Punk (January to June) JamieOretro Playlist on Spotify, with nine songs in 19 minutes, which has a bit of a skate-punk vibe – similar to the old 1990s compilations like Epitaph’s Punk-O-Rama, or perhaps even a bit like a soundtrack from a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater game.

Cheers to everyone who likes fast-paced, catchy punk rock tunes. I'm interested in hearing from anyone else at Push Square who loves this genre of music.

Edited on by JamieO

I am passionate about retro gaming, from antiquated consoles to the continuation of classics. Obviously I love PSone, and PS2 retro games. I blast my ears to breakneck melodic punk, gruff vocals and nimble alternative guitar hooks.

Twitter:

Wesker

I should probably check some of this out. I still listen to Green Day’s American Idiot and Dookie, Blink 182s Enema of the State and a collection of The Clash songs regularly. I mainly stick to stuff I know I like, but am looking to branch out.

Wesker

JamieO

@Wesker I'm with you on all of the albums you’ve mentioned above, mate.

From my personal nostalgia I love Green Day's early years on Lookout! Records, and I adore 1994's Dookie. It's worth mentioning Billie Joe Armstrong's side-project work with Aaron Cometbus and Jason White in Pinhead Gunpowder too, because that band had a really great sound to them.

**** Edit: I should have remembered that Billie Joe also fronts a band called The Longshot on vocals and guitar too, and The Longshot released an album called Love Is For Losers in 2018, which I listened to often and enjoyed lots last year. ****

I've read rumours that Green Day is working on new music with a possible 2019 release.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure that blink-182 will have a new album in 2019, as Matt Skiba has settled into his role on guitar and co-lead vocals — incidentally I really like Alkaline Trio, as well. You're spot-on that Enema of the State was a great record – the songs had quality hooks and were so catchy – plus I’m a big fan of Dude Ranch from 1997.

As for The Clash, they were hugely influential, and I enjoy listening to punk from the 1970s as well. I like the balance between mid-to-late 1970s UK bands, and then American hardcore growing more prominently a couple of years later.

Edited on by JamieO

I am passionate about retro gaming, from antiquated consoles to the continuation of classics. Obviously I love PSone, and PS2 retro games. I blast my ears to breakneck melodic punk, gruff vocals and nimble alternative guitar hooks.

Twitter:

Wesker

Haha Dude Ranch is awesome as well. That would definitely be my 2nd favorite Blink album. I do think Green Day are probably the best pop-punk band of all time. Train in Vain is my favorite Clash song. I have it playing in my head regularly.

Wesker

Thrillho

@Wesker That song wasn’t even going to be on the album originally. It was added so last minute it wasn’t even on the official track listing.

I can’t believe Bad Religion and Millencolin are still churning albums out. The Menzingers are one of my favourite bands though and I hope it’s not too long until their next album; their last one was fantastic. Against Me! were another favourite but most of their new albums have been pretty weak (apart from True Trans). Iron Chic are another favourite of mine.

I’ve not bought many punk albums at all this year. The new Martha album is fun but they are very much on the pop end of pop punk. Excellent riffs and lyrics though. Their other band ONSIND are also really good too.

Thrillho

Thrillho

But thanks for the list @JamieO. I’ll give some a listen later on.

Thrillho

JoeBlogs

@JamieO Cheers for the recommendations. I like that kind of music, but I don't make anywhere near as much effort as I should to find new stuff. I think this year I've only really got into the new Deerhunter album. As a long-term fan of Conor Oberst, I've also enjoyed Better Oblivion Community Center. Not very punky though.

JoeBlogs

JamieO

@Wesker I woke up this morning, clicked on your video, and then started listening to all of London Calling straight after. London Calling is a 1979 true punk classic, so it's interesting that Thrillho mentions above about how The Clash added Train in Vain last minute, but I'm definitely glad it made the cut and ended up being a single.

@Thrillho Both Millencolin and Bad Religion's 2019 albums are consistently enjoyable, so I think I've reached the point that I don't just like retro games, I also love retro punk bands.

Man, the way that After The Party blasted off with Tellin' Lies was indeed awesome, you've just encouraged me to listen to the Menzinger’s brilliant 2017 album right now. Good news, dude, there was a report on Kerrang! that The Menzingers have already finished recording their 2019 album. This year Epitaph has already released a 7" with two songs, No Penance and Cemetery's Garden, so it shouldn't be long before more new Menzingers tunes.

From your quality taste in music — for example The Menzingers and Iron Chic — I also imagine that you probably enjoy bands like Red City Radio and Off With Their Heads. It could well be that Off With Their Heads' August 2019 release of Be Good is my most anticipated album this year, since their recent song Disappear is unsurprisingly fantastic.

I'll also check out Martha's 2019 Love Keeps Kicking album, when I get the chance. I appreciate the Martha recommendation, because before even hearing them I like that they're a pop punk, indie band from the North East of England.

@JoeBlogs Cool, two more 2019 recommendations, this forum post is quickly paying off. I'll make a note of Deerhunter and Better Oblivion Community Center for a listen after Martha, especially considering that I really liked Conor Oberst's song-writing for Desaparecidos.

Many thanks, everyone.

Twitter:

Wesker

@JamieO Nice! I also went on a short YouTube trip of The Clash: Train in Vain and Clampdown. Green Day: Jesus of Surbubia, Holiday, American Idiot, Basket Case and Blink 182: All the Small Things and The Rock Show. I now feel suitably primed to delve into something new!

Wesker

Thrillho

@JamieO The Menzinger’s album (Hello Exile) is due out 4th of October!

Off With Their Heads are a band I’ve been meaning to check out as they normally come up in online recommendations for me. A friend even went on tour with them in the US a couple of years ago!

If you haven’t already checked out Martha, their latest album is good but not as good as the first two. This remains one of my favourite tracks for the mangetout line in the first verse if nothing else.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@JamieO wanted to say this thread is really cool.

Also, Mike Krol and Fontaines DC both released alternative albums I dug this year

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JamieO

@Thrillho Thanks loads for posting here again, because it keeps this topic active for people to share new albums. I'm excited about The Menzingers releasing Hello Exile in October, and I've been listening to the song Anna on repeat. I've also enjoyed Martha’s new album lots too. Cheers!

@Kidfried Thank you very much, any 2019 alternative rock and indie recommendations are appreciated alongside punk, for example I’ve just started listening to JoeBlogs' recommendation of Better Oblivion Community Center. I'll look into either Mike Krol or Fontaines D.C. next, but I'll possibly choose Fontaines D.C. first, because a quick Google search shows the Dublin band's Dogrel debut album received whopping five star reviews from both The Guardian and NME.

@MadAussieBloke The 'blink-182 with Lil Wayne' YouTube video you shared above made me laugh with his mumbling, clean lyrics version of blink's cuss-heavy Family Reunion song from the Short Music for Short People compilation. I've never seen that YouTuber before, so he surprised me by ripping out that guitar solo at the end, too.

I'll pop back here every month or so, because I want this topic to stay active long enough to cover 2019 albums until December. Since starting this thread three weeks ago I've been listening to new 2019 albums by Clowns, Renunions and Thrillho's recommendation of Martha, so I will update the main list in my original post with these albums:

• Clowns (April 2019) Nature / Nurture (Fat Wreck Chords). An energetic Australian punk band from Melbourne, recommended by my punk rock loving mate when I tweeted about this Push Square thread. Favourite songs: Bland is the New Black, Nature, and Prey for Us.
  • Martha (April 2019) Love Keeps Kicking (Big Scary Monsters in UK and Dirtnap Records in US). Recommended by Thrillho. Fun and lively indie rock, so it's a good album for summertime. Favourite songs: Mini Was a Preteen Arsonist, Brutalism by the River (Arrhythmia), and The Void (the opening bassline sounds like the SNES' F-Zero track Death Wind). Martha reminds me in a good way of The Sidekicks, and The Superweaks.
  • Reunions (June 2019) Winter Heart, Summer Skin (self-released independently by Reunions). Gruff vocals punk, which sounds like Hot Water Music. Favourite songs: In Blackout Rooms, Sentimentality Is for Suckers (surely this is named after the Lifetime song Irony Is for Suckers), Faster Still (the chorus reminds me of The Gaslight Anthem's song The Patient Ferris Wheel), and Sheet Metal Grey.

Edited on by JamieO

Twitter:

• Pages:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic