Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 841 to 860 of 4,712

Jessiex

I feel like Sony is pushing forward with the ps5 and Xbox is staying in the past, with Xbox Series X having no exclusives for two years.

Can't wait for PS5!

nessisonett

@Jessiex I think it’s very smart of them, especially in this economic climate. Take the money from those still wanting games on this gen’s consoles, while showing them how those games could be better on the newer, more expensive consoles. It’ll steadily sway those who didn’t think they wanted or maybe couldn’t afford the X SeX at the time. Dumping a whole load of exclusive games on the PS5, which will most likely have a higher price point, might not actually be a good thing as we’ll all be recovering financially for the next year or two and there are just more important things at that point than getting the next console. Meanwhile, we then can’t buy those Sony exclusives at all until we buy the console, meaning they miss out on those sales.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ryall

@nessisonett Smart if their priority is to maximise revenue on the cross gen period. But it’s also going to slow adoption of the next gen console. Whether it was the right choice or not will be determined by whether those purchases are just delayed by two years or whether people drift away to rival platforms.

Ryall

Ryall

@JJ2 Fascinating listen. I get the impression that whilst the new consoles might be easy to learn. It’s going to take quite a long time for developers to take full advantage of the changes. Everyone I listen to seems to have a different idea of how to best implement them.

Ryall

nessisonett

@Ryall Yeah, that’s true enough. They’re definitely moving to promote Xbox the brand as Game Pass, rather than a box. Their whole marketing seems to be aimed at showing how universal Xbox is, with the games being available on PC, Xbox and XCloud as an all in one solution. I think Sony will go the other way and double down on the ‘buy a box, play games’ concept and they’ll probably hold on to their core audience through that.

Ghoul_Manifesto

I brought my PS4 on release day, well midnight to be exact, when we get more info on the PS5 I'll preorder one hoping to get it on release day too,

Ghoul_Manifesto

BAMozzy

You also have to remember that most games will be developed on and available for current gen hardware for at least the next 2yrs too. The Exclusives that are on PS5 will predominantly be used to sell the PS5 but generally kept or paid to release on next gen only for that purpose. Chances are, with some scaling of visuals (not just resolution) and capping the frame rate lower, those games 'could' run adequately on a base PS4. To go from 1080p to 4k and 30 to 60fps would require around 8x the power - rendering 4x the pixels in half the time. Obviously the CPU too would have half the time to complete all its workload too per frame.

If you are scaling games across current gen as well as PC's and Mobiles (like MS is), that gives them a massive install base to sell those games to. If MS & Sony sells 3-5m in the first 6m of the generation, that gives Sony just a potential 3-5m people to sell any game to compared to 10x or more for MS and that is the maximum sales. If MS don't sell any Series X, they could still sell more copies of Halo than Sony sells consoles let alone any 'launch' exclusive.

Console sales are NOT the money maker - certainly not in the early months. We hear how consoles can be sold at a 'loss' because the sales of software, services etc can offset that. If you have a much larger install base to buy those games - not limiting some to a 'specific' console, there is a greater chance of them becoming profitable and offsetting any losses on the console. Sony will of course still be getting money/profits from their PS4 users/services etc of course.

There is no right/wrong answer here - I don't think. It may be better for Sony to do it there way and for MS theirs. Both can have pro's and con's for both consumer and company. Hindsight may well be needed to see whether MS or Sony were right/wrong to go the route they are - although that could still be difficult to calculate as other factors - like different approaches to console design/specs, existing user base and Backwards Compatibility (many more PS4 users that may upgrade to PS5 because their library of games move), Price point etc etc may have more impact than whether Sony/MS have 1st party Exclusives on their 'new' console. It seems Scorn is going to be a Series X console exclusive - not on XB1 (S or X) and not on Playstation so there will be 'next gen' Xbox console exclusives - just maybe not 1st party ones for the first year or two...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula I don't think that has been confirmed for the next gen consoles yet?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

After seeing rumours of Pikmin 3 coming to Switch, it really make me glad that PS5 has BC because this gen has had far too many ports. It’s insane, nobody was crying out for PS2 ports on the PS3, the few we did get were all stone cold classics. Hopefully the BC will stop devs from seeing an easy £50 by releasing a shoddily updated version of a game only a few years old.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I think it should see the death of any ps4 remasters on PS5, but i think we will get more remakes of PS1 - PS3 titles like the Resi games and FFVIIR. Which I'm okay with.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, those remakes are at least completely revamping the original game. The legions of last-gen ports we got this gen were just straight ports with barely any QoL changes.

JJ2

So I've now seen many sites report the PS5 UE5 demo can already run even better on a laptop.
Dont believe the fake news guys. I'm expecting Windows Central to run with it any time now though.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Octane

@JJ2 Even if true, I don't see how that proves anything other than Epic's incompetence

Anyway; UE5 doesn't even release until next year, so where are they getting that from?

Octane

JJ2

@Octane
Epic in China was showing off the demo playing the video on a laptop.
A lot of people got to translate chinese and thought he was running the full demo without compromise.

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Ryall

@JJ2 I wouldn’t say it was running better and a laptop with a RTX 2070 and it isn’t exactly going to be very portable. But a PC with a couple of NVDIMMs and a sufficiently powerful graphics card can run the demo. People have been building oversized laptops out of Desktop components for years. I wouldn’t put any weight on someone downplaying a piece of software demands saying that it can run on a laptop.

https://wccftech.com/tim-sweeney-explains-exactly-why-the-ps5...

Ryall

JJ2

@Ryall
Idk. I think its scalable but not exactly the same. I think it's the point of the UE5? Just need to port it
However its one thing saying it 'can' and another spreading fake news saying the full demo is already running at the same quality and better framerate.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy You commented on the latest backwards compatibility about having a huge backlog of ps4 games. I'm not going nowhere near that as it has just turned into the usual war of words. But we will be ok with ps4 games, the majority of games will be playable on PS5.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder thanks Johnny that's good to know. It's not necessarily the backlog. As an example I've bought some games 3/4 times over my life - it would be nice to have my library forever! Thanks though man I hope its the case.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

Backwards compatibility would be a very nice touch but I wouldn’t get a massive amount of use out of it so don’t really care. Yeah it can be annoying plugging old systems in but you can’t run your old videos on your Blu-ray player or your records on an ipod, such is life.

So yeah would be nice but low on my list of requirements honestly.

If only they could get SSX3 running

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I don't think I've played any last gen games this gen. Only remasters of games that I missed out by not having a ps3. It is certainly better to have it than not, but i would never not get a console because it doesn't have it.

I think it is a bit different this gen as more people have got a digital backlog of games which you obviously can't trade in, which is what I did with my 360 and got credit in CEX. So will be good to still have that to fall back on during quieter periods. Saying that I started with a blank slate this gen and don recall not having any games to play, but I did buy a ps4 six months after it was released.

Not sure how Sony are going to tackle anything before PS4. I assume just through PS NOW, but there are some key games missing from the service.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic